wow almost wrecked my TL

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 01:14 AM

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,988 Posts
wow almost wrecked my TL

yea.. i went up to big bear mountain today to go snowboarding (i dont have class on thursdays yay!) and on the way up i hit some i guess the term is "black ice" where you cant really see it.. and i was already tapping on the brakes to slow my car down cause i didnt want to hit the car in front of me, man the car started fishtailing like crazy and i got really close to sliding to oncoming traffic.. luckily when i was about to, i got back on the regular pavement and regained traction.. man i was scared but luckily that was the only incident the entire ride there and back cause the roads were fine.

im probably gonna go up there again sometime until the season is over. what do you guys recommend i do when that happens again? (and no there wasnt snow on the road, if there was i wouldve put snow chains on)
Old 01-14-2005, 02:18 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damm bro you shoulda called me...lol.. i was planning on going up there tomorrow to mt high (dont want to drive to big bear or snow summit) but my buddy could not make it tomorrow so ill probably go up there next weekend. throw the chains on, theres nothing else you can do...
Old 01-14-2005, 06:08 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Next time that happens, counter-steer all the way to lock, and slam on the brakes.

Nah, I'm just messing with ya. That's probably the best way to crash the car.

It really depends on the situation. If it was a wide open road and the rear-end was about to come around all the way, then I would counter-steer and apply gas to pull the car through forward. It would be sort of like drifting.

If you've already spun all the way, instead of just having the ass-end stepping out, then well, you better hold on and pray you won't crash. It's nearly impossible for ordinary drivers to recover from a situation like that. You could try to counter-steer, but if you're spinning, it won't make a big difference.

Best thing to do in order to avoid a situation like that is to not make any sudden moves. If you're going in a straight-line and hit black ice, chances are you would most likely drive right over them and not even realize it sometimes. It would be threatening when you hit black ice while going around a curve or whatever. In situations like that where you should expect black ice to be present, don't make sudden steering or braking inputs. But if you did start fishtailing, then counter-steer, and apply gas to pull through as necessary.

That's just the way "I" do it, and I've only wrecked my car once in spin-outs/fishtails/etc. That was in the TL in my neighborhood, first winter after installing the Comptech sways. I was used to the way it drove with the stock sways, and I wasn't prepared for a spin-out like that, due to increased oversteering characteristics of the car. I put it into a ditch, hit a sewer pipe, and saw a piece of my front bumper cover fly into the air and land about 50 feet away from the car. It was funny.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:54 AM
First Gen 3.2 TL

damnz.. freakin been crazy weather in so cali.. glad nothing bad happened bro..
Old 01-14-2005, 03:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"pure adrenaline" basically touched on all points.

Try going out to an empty parking lot when things are iced up and induce the car to spin - try to get a feel for how it reacts in ice, and how to counter some tail slide out. I did this and found out that our TL's love to swing their asses out! Even after recovering from the tail spin the car seemed kinda unsettled etc. Of course, the limit needed in order to provoke this was high - for the most part, my michelins stuck like glue.

And make sure tires are good
Old 01-14-2005, 04:29 PM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

Originally Posted by Mizouse
yea.. i went up to big bear mountain today to go snowboarding (i dont have class on thursdays yay!) and on the way up i hit some i guess the term is "black ice" where you cant really see it.. and i was already tapping on the brakes to slow my car down cause i didnt want to hit the car in front of me, man the car started fishtailing like crazy and i got really close to sliding to oncoming traffic.. luckily when i was about to, i got back on the regular pavement and regained traction.. man i was scared but luckily that was the only incident the entire ride there and back cause the roads were fine.

im probably gonna go up there again sometime until the season is over. what do you guys recommend i do when that happens again? (and no there wasnt snow on the road, if there was i wouldve put snow chains on)
Good to hear you going out snowboarding and stuff... must be fun... (not having class is always good )... but man be carefull up there with that "black ice"... you don't want the same thing that happend to me to happen to you man... just be carefull hommie... and have fun up there on the slops... bust a 360 for me ...

About loosing control of your car... once you lost it thats very much it... pray that you don't hit any curbs... depending on which way your car fishtails... the best way to gain back control and even then you won't gain maximum control all you have to do is keep your front wheels pointing towards the direction you should be taking so when you do re-gain control you won't come back to a fishtail in the oposite direction... of course you don't have to listen to what i'm saying due to the fact that i just messed up... but that has saved me numerouse times...

BTW: have fun snowboarding... like i said... bust a 360 for the 1st Gen's...
Old 01-18-2005, 04:00 PM
Advanced

glad to hear ur ok
-ALex
Old 01-19-2005, 11:02 AM
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 249 Posts
In low grip situations, you might want to borrow the style of FWD rally drivers.

The good thing about FWD is that the power can be oriented in the direction you want to go. Contrast this with RWD where they just push and it's up to the fronts to decide where the car goes.

This means you can "stomp and steer." The car will power-pull its way into the clear. The trick is getting enough traction to the fronts.

When accelerating, all of your weight dumps to the back. In a FWD car, this is bad news, since this means less traction for the power wheels.

When braking, weight is transfered to the front of the car. This is why front brakes are so much bigger than rears.

If you're really talented, you can pull your e-brake to dump the weight back onto the front wheels while you goose the pedal, giving the fronts a chance to dig in and pull you through to where you want/need to go. The danger with the e-brake is that you can easily lock up the rear wheels, in which case you're only going to make your problem worse.

For the average driver, stepping on the brake pedal is the better idea. Whatever braking force is applied to the fronts will be offsetted by the power since you are on the gas. However, the rears will bite slightly, dumping more weight to the front and giving you more traction to let the front wheels pull you through.

Using the ebrake takes a lot of practice. It locks up the wheels real easily. But using the brake pedal is a lot easier and I think just about any driver with two legs can get it down.

This really works.

In Houston, there's a place in the 290/610 area called Delmar Stadium. A lot of car meets happen here I'm told. It also has a huge gravel parking lot.

People that I may or may not know used to come out here at night and do crazy tricks with their cars. One time, they were out there and this helicopter flew overhead, a little lower than usual. The people got all freaked, thinking it was a massive bust like in the GTA games. Nothing ever happened though. All of this was told to me and I have no way of confirming if it ever happened.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:32 AM
Registered Driver

Originally Posted by wackjum
People that I may or may not know used to come out here at night and do crazy tricks with their cars.
So, what were these crazy FWD tricks that the people you may or may not know were doing?
Old 01-19-2005, 11:57 AM
Safety Car

They'd set up cones and try to parallel park by pulling the ebrake and spinning into it. Then there was drifting.

That Chevy commercial with the Corvette C6 spinning around to meet the Cobalt? That's been done. Except it wasn't as nice and clean as in the commercial.

And of course, lotta power slides and such.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:57 AM
Safety Car

Ooo you meant FWD tricks.

Eh, kinda screwed there.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:01 PM
Registered Driver

Haha, yeah, FWD is relatively limiting. I've done some crazy 180's into parking spaces in the snow before, the first time by accident, but I just had to try again...