Wierd Noises/Driving funny... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 06:42 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wierd Noises/Driving funny... Help!

I did a search, but couldn't really find anything about it, so if this is a repost, sorry in advance...
Yesterday my 2.5 started acting up with the following symptoms:

- Metallic rattling noise coming from the engine compartment
- Louder than normal engine noise (also a little more harsh sounding, for lack of a better term) when accelerating
- When idling or in park, the engine feels like it is hiccuping (can't think of another way to describe that, either) which it also does at low speeds, such as in stop and go.

Any idea what these are symptoms of? This is the first real problem I've had with this car, which I've had since it was at 50k (now at 118k), so if it is not a huge problem (i/e thousands of dollars to repair) I will have it fixed...

Thanks in advance for any info
Old 02-25-2005, 07:41 AM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sounds kindof like a misfire, but they don't usually produce metallic rattling noises.... Might be a bent valve but that's not likely unless you really beat on your car or had a timing belt snap. Maybe the timing belt has skipped a few teeth.... I dunno. Best bet would be to get it to a mechanic asap, as mettalic rattling noises in the engine are typically NOT GOOD! Check your oil first off though, make sure it topped up and not black!
Old 02-25-2005, 11:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Yeah, sounds like a misfire or some sort of fuel/air restriction.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:35 PM
808 TL Scene Photographer

any mods on your car?
Old 02-26-2005, 08:53 AM
7th Gear

Nope... unless you count the stereo, aside from that, stock as you can get...

Apparantley there was a problem with the timing belt... Figures, the one time I get something done at a non-acura maintenance place it is the thing that breaks... There was apparantly something wrong with some part of the exhaust system, covered under that emmissions warranty... I will post more details later in case someone else has this problem in the future.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:50 AM
7th Gear

Yup, the timing belt tensioner was not replaced at the time the timing belt was replaced (appx 100k miles) which would have been done had I taken the car to acura... The tensioner was causing the rattling and made the timing belt slip, thus causing all of my problems... Cost almost 1000 bucks to fix... Ouch
Old 03-03-2005, 02:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
They charged you for their mistake??
Old 03-04-2005, 12:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brantleylancaster
Yup, the timing belt tensioner was not replaced at the time the timing belt was replaced (appx 100k miles) which would have been done had I taken the car to acura... The tensioner was causing the rattling and made the timing belt slip, thus causing all of my problems... Cost almost 1000 bucks to fix... Ouch
so did the belt slip off completely! From what i've heard:

broken timing belt + running engine = valves and pistons collide = lotsa $$$
Old 03-04-2005, 07:15 AM
7th Gear

No and no... I took it to get the timing belt changed the first time at a non-acura service facility in an effort to save some $$$, but it only ended up saving a little over $150. (600$ compared to 750$ at Acura) and am going to take back all the parts with the service record and demand some monetary compensation....

The belt did not slip off completley, just jumped a few teeth... enough to screw up the cars excellent performance (considering the mileage) but not enough to cause any serious permanent damage...