Why do You Prefer a 1st Gen???

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 06:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why do You Prefer a 1st Gen???

I own a 96 3.2TL Premium, and I love the vehicle to death. I've also driven the second generation TL, as well as the thrid gen. Yet I still think that the 1st gen is freakin awesome inspite of almost a decade having passed since its introduction. I dont have time right now, so Ill post my reasons later. Just wondering what all u other 1st gen owners though in regards to the follwing question:

"Why do you thing 1st generation TL's are better than 2nd generation Tls and to a lesser extent 3rd gens?"

Make sure you give some good reasons i.e. please dont say "1st gens rock, 2nd gen are gay" Also if u have driven the vehicle, discuss the driuving dyncamics in your comaprison.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
I own an '03 TL and a '97, so the difference to me is quite noticeable.

1997 TL:

Classier interior, better materials, very few black plastics, better seats. Slightly softer ride yet much better steering feel. Better HVAC controls (Heating, ventilation, A/C) Yellow foglights look good. Front wheels pushed forward, doesnt look like a FWD car. Engine sounds more "mean" than the '03.

2003 TL:

Larger interior, a few more features (such as outside temperature, dual trip meters etc) Solid chassis, less road noise. Heavy steering yet less road feel. Xenon lights. Less body roll. Better gas mileage (up to 33 mpg) on REGULAR gas. VTEC
Old 02-01-2005, 11:52 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a 96 2.5, and my dad has an 04 tl. i love them both, but i think i like mine a bit better(mainly because its mine )

differences:
headlights- i love the look of xenon lights and they really light up the road.
steering- i like how easy it is to steer the 1st gen, but the 3rd gen has nice steering also
looks- imo, the 3rd gen looks better, but it is a very recent design
interior- i like the 3rd gen's interior better than the 1st, mainly the center console area. i think it flows a lot better than the 1st. also, the outside temp in the hud is cool. i also like the dual temp controls.
ride- the 1st gen has a smoother ride
road noise- i cant really tell a difference, but i dont notice that stuff

theres more, but i gotta go to bed. i have school at 8 and its almost midnight
Old 02-02-2005, 03:14 AM
Banned

Ya I have driven all as well. I love my 1st Gen. I do like the 2nd Gen a lot too. The 3rd Gen I absolutey hate. To me, they RUINED that car, it looks hidious. Especially the front, SO SO much bumper, the whole car is weird all the way around to me. But ya I love the interior of mine, the looks, the speed, everything.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:29 AM
All about JDM

I personally like all 3, but lean more heavily towards our first gens. Our cars have much more of a luxury classy vehicle rather than a sporty one. I also love how our cars have a timeless design, no matter how old our cars get, if we keep them clean they will always look nice and "new" they wont look "old" or "aged" im sure you know what i mean. I think that our interiors are by far the nicest. Its clean and simple, one knob and like what 5 buttons? Nice small clear display. Functional and compact. Like Ken said, no cheap looking plastic shits. I like how our car feels on the road, i feel more aware of whats around me and i feel i have more control. And I like the visibilty our cars have. I can see all around me and dont have really anything obstructing my view of my surroundings.
I like how the 02-03's have a timeless design too. I mainly apply that to a Type-S with a kit on it. the 99-01s I just dont like at all. My dad has an 03 type-s. I like how fast is and how easy it is to go fast. But I think aside from speed I judge our car above 2nd gens. The biggest winner for the 2nd gens are the HID lights.
The 3rd gens look nice and I have driven several cause of my job. I dont like how i cant really see out of the rear windshield cause its so small and the damn rear headrests are there. I dont like the cheapo looking radio display. The Nav unit is really nice though. The 3rd gens are nice, but nothing really impresses me other than the looks, especially A-spec styling. The ride is comfortable, but feels more "detached" than the other gens. I feel muffled from the outside world in the 3rd gens. Nothing about the 3rd gens driving experience moves me.
I love my car.....:P
Old 02-02-2005, 09:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 249 Posts
So many times I have mistaken an approaching 3rd Gen in the rearview for a Chevy Impala. Especially a white 3rd Gen.

I think that about says it all.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

The second gen I've driven is an 01 (my uncles).

Pros of 2nd gen: Pleasing styling that doesnt offend, and has smooth clean lines. Although,the 1st gens are just as good in this respect - classy styling. Smooth ride, tight structure - it is a tad stiffer than first gen chassis, and well damped body motions - sometimes the biggest of impacts can make their way to the cabin in a 1st gen, not the case with second gen. Silky smooth tranny, and the extra cog means a lower rpm when crusing. Smooth, powerful engine, again just a tad more powerful than the 1st gen c32. The engine pulls real nicely, and does its job in a more elegant fashion. Much less body roll when compared to 1st gen in the twisties. Availabe Navgation system!

Cons: Maybe not AS smooth as a 1st gen in ride quality. Interior=cost cutting. It is clearly evident everywhere. Take a look at the armrests for example - 1st gen armrest on the doors are wrapped in some soft touch leather/vinyl (not sure which) and are downright fancy. 2nd gen armrests are no where near as soft and my 94 accord can give em a run for theur money. The entire waterfall dash is a huge piece of plastic with sparing amounts of wood adorning either side. 1st gens in comparison have acres of wood (fake as it may be) that add warmth to the interior. And as much as I love BOSE sound systems (I have their wave radio/cd thing which is great!) the sound system inb the second gen leaves much to be desired. The first gen system has superior imaging and clarity, simply amazing.

As far as drving dynamics go, I felt that the sterring was overboosted and a tad too light in second gens. Taking an "S" curve at 50 with a speed limit of 25 was a harrow free expereince in the second gen with lil body roll - however i was unsure of the limits of the car. Taking another turn, the overboosted steering felt vague and there was no steering feel.

The 1st gen in the same "S" curve at the same speed leaned more...i prefer to say that it "eased into the turn" However, I had much more confidence, the steering was much better weighted, and the steering feel was excellent.

And finally, I think that 1st gens are way more reliable. Our tranny's arent dying, headliners arent sagging, no butt prints on the seat, and they ride just like the day they were rolled off the assembly line, almost a decade ago. Their more unique in many respects - longitudally mounted engine with wheels pushed further out, the frameless windows that not only look cool but also add to the safety of the vehicle, the yellow fogs, attention to detail, level of options given age, etc.

Sorry for the long post, I just love my first gen. Given the length of this post, Ill post on the third gen later.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:25 AM
2005, Acura TL, 5AT

I like the first gen because it only cost me 8k...
Old 02-02-2005, 12:23 PM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

Wink 1st gens rock, 2nd gen are gay... GOSH!!!

why do you have to make us think??? HUH!!!

Why do I perfer a 1st Gen... ... ...

I haven't driven the other two gens... seen all years up close and personally... etc... but never driven any...

Syleing: I like the new looks of the 2nd Gen and 3rd Gen... they are diffrent from a lot of cars out there...
- The 3rd Gen kind of looks a bit bulky... like if they fed it to much before it got out of the factory... but i do like the mean look of it...
- The 2nd Gen it looks cool and long... with that said, it looks and is fast... i've seen them twice and they can haul... They kind of kept the concept from the 1st gen but they did a lot of changes... The only thing about it i don't like is that it kind of resembles the Ford Taurus ...
- The 1st Gen... what can i say... it has the same look as its ancestor and "LEGEND"/ Vigor but a bit more smooth feeling to it... Its the Last one to be made in Japan and have that reliability... Overall, I prefer the 1st gen just because of its reliability... and it doesn't look like an FWD...

Overall drivability of all three... well the other two Gens i havn't driven but i have to say that driving my 1st Gen (i can't drive it... see sig.) you can feel the road (and curbs )... besides... for some reason... i havn't seen anyone (like 2 maybe) here on the 1st Gen forum have tranny problems... talk about rock solid car...
Old 02-02-2005, 01:30 PM
Senior Moderator

These are excellent comments.

I have an obsession with good visibility. The 1st gen TL has a very low hood for a V6, lots of glass and I can actually see out of the back

3rd gen TL drives me nuts with its high dash and thick pillars.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:16 PM
Registered Driver

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL

These are excellent comments.

I have an obsession with good visibility. The 1st gen TL has a very low hood for a V6, lots of glass and I can actually see out of the back

3rd gen TL drives me nuts with its high dash and thick pillars.
Yeah, I hate not being able to see things. Right now I have no tint so its nice and bright on the tan interior. Small pillars and no blind spot for a carr to be in are really nice. My mom's solara is horrible I think though, its very dark and hard to judge the entire car (2 door). My dad's durango is easy to judge everything, but the A pillars are right where you want to look when your going around a turn and its a pain in the ass.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:53 PM
Racer

i love it . looks classy as hell, and out of the 3 tls it most resembles the older 3.5 which is niiiiiiiiice. i also love the look on the faces of rice drivin dudes after they get blown away
Old 02-02-2005, 05:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
if it was up to me... i would take the body of the first gen, with the engine of a third gen and the 6 spd... i would live happy...
Old 02-02-2005, 05:48 PM
LDH
I

Originally Posted by theloweman
I like the first gen because it only cost me 8k...

I was thinking the same except mine only cost me 7k.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
if it was up to me... i would take the body of the first gen, with the engine of a third gen and the 6 spd... i would live happy...
Meh.. I'll do the 6 speed for sure

But a J series engine is totally out of the question unfortunately.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by wackjum
So many times I have mistaken an approaching 3rd Gen in the rearview for a Chevy Impala. Especially a white 3rd Gen.

I think that about says it all.

You aint the only one homie...
Old 02-02-2005, 07:54 PM
Senior Moderator

3rd Gen TL looks more like an Alfa Romeo.. saw them over in Europe all the time.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:08 PM
Registered Driver

Originally Posted by LDH
I was thinking the same except mine only cost me 7k.
I was thinking the same except mine only cost me 6k.