Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 12:42 PM
Jackie Chiles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake

I have already asked about more power for the 2.5 in another thread and I realize there isn't much to work with and that's fine because i don't really care that much anymore. The only aftermarket part that seemed to be a remote possibility was an intake. I don't know if this has already been answered or not and I know it has been mentioned before but has anyone installed the secret weapon intake and if so what are the gains, what are the potential problems, and could it void the car's warranty? I'm pretty syked with how my car is right now but the last things i was really considering were tints, xenon headlights, and an intake. Any help would be great.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
i believe spooky has one installed... he was the guy that got it made for us if my memory serves me correctly...

speaking of spooky... havent seen him on for a while...
Old 05-03-2005, 02:35 PM
Registered Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup, spook went to weapon-r and had them custom make one for him. I'm sure he'll chime in when he sees this.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:25 AM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

Originally Posted by UnsanePyro
Yup, spook went to weapon-r and had them custom make one for him. I'm sure he'll chime in when he sees this.
just got out of work... been working 12+ hours... 6pm to 6am... graveyard... <~~~ this smilie looks just like me right now...

anyways... Yeah, they made an intake for the 2.5... apparently the secret weapon wasn't out when i got mine... sooo, mine is a regular custom intake from weapon-R... just hit LEO up and I'm pretty sure they should still have the measurements etc... and they'll send you everything you'll need...

Call them/email them... order it... pay for it... get it... Jump up and down with happiness... install it... and listen to your engine growl...

BTW: the secret weapon intake looks pretty cool... basicly it's a pipe inside another pipe... Saw it at the BayArea meet (which btw had over 100 cars come... felt lonely being the only first gen though...) and it looked pretty cool... i was thinking of getting it... but i'm still saving for a custom exhaust from weapon-R... $$$ is what's lacking right now... thus, the 12+ hours of work... I just have to pay some bills and then i'll take it in for the custom exhaust so they can get the measurements for that and you guys can order that too... that is if someone else doesn't beat me to it...
Old 05-04-2005, 12:30 PM
Jackie Chiles

believe me i want to get one. Did it void your warranty? i also heard something about water leaking into intakes or something and killing your engine. What are the potential problems that can happen? Also, I'm curious as to why more people haven't gotten the secret weapon for their 2.5s...
Old 05-04-2005, 01:07 PM
Banned

I have a secret weapon R,

Old 05-04-2005, 05:04 PM
Registered Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike89Acord96TL
I have a secret weapon R,

Hey, think you could give us a write up on where all those ground wires go to/from? I'm getting a set of subs soon and want to do that before/at the same time.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:22 PM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

Originally Posted by flipskatemer
believe me i want to get one. Did it void your warranty? i also heard something about water leaking into intakes or something and killing your engine. What are the potential problems that can happen? Also, I'm curious as to why more people haven't gotten the secret weapon for their 2.5s...
Warranty??? what warranty... i don't think i've worried about that since i hit 175,000 miles on my TL... (i'm due for a tuneup already... )

About the water... 2 things...

1. If you have a leak on the seal of your hood... (the black rubber thing that outlines the hood...) or broken/old...

2. You don't have a SRI (Short Ram Intake)... but its actually a CIA (Cold Air Intake)... Difference being... one is short and stays in the engine area (like mine and mikes including other members that have their own custom ones)... the other is the one that goes all the way down to the air dam...

if i remember reading somewhere, you can actually buy some sort of bypass for water...

Why members/people havn't bought an intake for the 2.5's... different reasons for different people...

Don't like the sucking noise/growl...
Perfer to have the car stock...
Don't have the cash nor time to buy or install the intake...
etc... etc...

Originally Posted by Mike89Acord96TL
That looks nice mike... ... ... I want one...
Old 05-05-2005, 08:00 PM
Jackie Chiles

well the point is i dont want to void my warranty and i dont know if it would (dont feel like contacting the dealer). i also want to know whether it is worth 180 bucks. i cant risk the warranty, and i cant risk the engine...
Old 05-05-2005, 08:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by flipskatemer
well the point is i dont want to void my warranty and i dont know if it would (dont feel like contacting the dealer). i also want to know whether it is worth 180 bucks. i cant risk the warranty, and i cant risk the engine...
You are protected by Federal law in that department. (Magnuson/Moss)
Many many people have intakes and the dealership would have to PROVE without any doubt that your mod did any such damage.

F.Y.I.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is the federal law that governs consumer product warranties. Passed by Congress in 1975.

Under the Magnusson-Moss Act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer's original warranty unless...

1. The warranty clearly states that the addition of such aftermarket equipment automatically voids the vehicle's warranty, or
2. The aftermarket device is the direct cause of the vehicle failure. The easiest way to check for exclusion clauses in your vehicle's warranty is to look in your owner's manual. This information is generally found in a section entitled “Warranty - What Is Not Covered”
Old 05-05-2005, 08:22 PM
Jackie Chiles

thankyou very much guys for the help. im hoping that ill be able to do this without my dad flipping out. Definetly first on the list of things to do to my car. thanks again