Tranny Slipping....?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 03:05 PM
WDP- lovin' every minute!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Tranny Slipping....?

i am more than a little concerned about my transmission. its been giving me alot of trouble lately. bought it about year ago, and noticed tranny shifts were rough tha was fine thought it was normal. but it started getting especially bad after i did the transmission flush at the dealer, what gives i thought that was supposed to fix my problem not make it worse. 1st and 2nd are just horrible as the whole car seems to shudder. And another disturbing ocurrence as of late is , (dont know if its bad good or normal?) when i park in my driveway i shift to park take my foot of brake and car moves slightly forward or back and then i hear a "click" as park engages. shouldnt it stay put right when i put it on park and not move any more? if you have any insight please help! i really really hope its not something major

thanks for any help on the matter guys.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:52 PM
Hurricane Game

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well i'm not sure about the shifts from 1st and 2nd....mine are kind of rough, too....just depends on how warm/cold the car is, etc. i have the 2.5 as well and of course it wraps out a bit when it's just starting out.

as far as when you park...sometimes, if the car is on any type of incline/decline, the car will move just a bit when you let your foot off the brake, unless you have the e-brake set. i always set my e-brake, just to be safe. normally if you do not set it and your car rolls a bit, it's sitting 'against' the tranny. then when you start the car and shift, it may be a bit more rough than normal. but as far as slight rollage when you let your foot off....that's pretty normal. now if you are rolling a foot or something....even 6 inches.....then yeah...that's not very good.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:38 AM
1998 2.5TL

Hey dubcnea,
Is it bad to let the car sit 'against' the tranny. The parking lot at my work is downhill and when I park I usually shift to park, let go fo the brake, switch off the motor and then use the e-brake. By then the car is already sitting against the tranny (It moves just a bit when I let go of the brake). I've noticed that while leaving, when I shift into Drive, it's quite rough - I thought the incline had something to do with it. Should I use the e-brake before I shift into park or before I let go of the foot brake pedal?

Hey Cali2.5, that's tough man! I guess you must've paid quite a bit to get the tranny flushed at the dealership... I was thinking of getting it done at the dealership too - just routine servicing since I bought the car a year back and I've heard so much about the trannys going bad - I thought getting the tranny flushed from the dealer will only be good for the tranny; but your post has got me thinking now. To answer your question, my car moves a bit forward or backward too when I shift to park. I too, hear the click, but my car doesn't shudder in any gear - though I've observed it in my friends second gen TL (which has a tranny recall on it and they installed a tranny cooler for him at no charge).

Do you guys know why we have differential fluid as well as ATF in our cars? The service manual says that the differential fluid should be changed more often (abt 45K miles) than the ATF (around 60K miles).
Thanks!
Old 06-23-2005, 01:38 PM
Hurricane Game

i don't think it's necessarily 'bad' on the tranny to have your car sit on it, so to speak. but i usually put the car in park, pull the e-brake, then take my foot of the brake. the car should move very little if at all then. then when i go take off again, i start car, put foot on brake, let off e-brake, shift and i'm out. i don't hear/feel anything rough when i do that.

i think the clicking that you're hearing is the (dis)engagement of the shifter when you push the brake pedal down so far. you'll notice you can't shift out of park until you push the brake pedal down far enough, whence you hear the click, then you can shift. same when you let off....after a certain point...you hear click and can't move the shifter. that is normal...i hope i'm understanding the right 'click'.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:57 PM
1998 2.5TL

Hey dubcnea,
Thanks for the info. Since the past week, I've been trying to develop a habit of engaging the e-brake before shifting to Park, and I've noticed a huge difference in the jerk I used to feel when I shifted into drive - now it just slips smoothly into Drive!
Old 06-27-2005, 03:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by bpjadhav
Hey dubcnea,
Thanks for the info. Since the past week, I've been trying to develop a habit of engaging the e-brake before shifting to Park, and I've noticed a huge difference in the jerk I used to feel when I shifted into drive - now it just slips smoothly into Drive!

Definitely, it takes all the stress off of the tranny. Imagine ONE gear tooth holding all that weight...
Old 06-27-2005, 03:59 PM
Hurricane Game

Originally Posted by bpjadhav
Hey dubcnea,
saweeeet. always makes me cringe when i feel that 'thump' when the e-brake isn't on. that is one good habit to have.