Tl gets a makeover

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 09:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tl gets a makeover

Alright so the title is a tad misleading - no im not installing a bodykit or anything - but I am plannin on doing a "big" service on the TL (which is @ 135000 miles) in the coming weeks. I have a list of things compiled that I'm planning on doing. I would appreciate any insightful advice from some of the 1st gen gurus on here about the "services" i plan to do, and also any suggestions on what parts to use and where to get the from. This is what I plan on doing:

1. Coolant flush and refill. Plannin on using some of that prestone 5year/unlimited mileage stuff that works in all cars.

2. Change thermostat - since the coolant will be out, I figure why not change the thermostat. Might save me from a major head gasket job down the road if it fails. I plan on buyin an OEM Nippon thermostat.

3. Transmission drain and fill - notice that its a drain and fill, not a flush, since I've been somewhat "scared" by rumors that crud in the system might get dislodged and screw something up. I have valvoline maxlife ATF in the car right now - I'm thinkin of switching back to Honda OEM ATF. Right now the 1-2 shift is rougher than usual, and on full throttle, the upshift at 6300rpms is somewhat "violent" and accompanied by a jerk on the steering wheel. This didn't use to happen.

4. Replace transmission filter/strainer - has been a recent topic on this forum, and many have reported good results after having done it. Plan on buying the part OEM. Does any1 have the part number?

5. Flush Power Steering - I've noticed that after driving for a while, the steering seems a bit "weightier". I like it like that, but I also hope that its not the fluid goin bad. I have Valvoline Maxlife Powersteering fluid in there right now. Thinkin of switching back to Honda OEM PSF.

6. Flush Brake Fluid - Needs to be done. Installed a new master cylinder, and should have bled a long time ago! Plan on using Prestone DOT3 Synthetic Brake Fluid.

7. Replace CV Boots - I've got no clicking from the axles, but when I had it up on the lift a few weeks ago, my mechanic spotted some minor crackin on the boots and recommended replacing them. I was thinkin of either A. replacing joints or B. Goin Ken's route and replacing the half-shafts, but I don't seem to have any symptoms or problems associated with worn axles. I plan on buying Acura OEM boots.

8. Replace Pipe "B" in exhaust - got a exhaust leak, so its gotta be done. IM going aftermarket on this one because OEM is 160, AM is 80 - no way in He!! im paying double for a piece of metal that will probably rust over the years anyway!

Im apologize profusely for the somewhat long winded post, but I am spending quite a bit of cash on this service, and want to make sure I get the right parts (OEM or aftermarket) and do the right things. Any suggestions on where to buy these parts for a good price would be appreciated. Just for reference, belt/waterpump was done at 100k, acura free service (plugs, wires, etc.) done at 115k. Tranny fluid and power steering fluid, flushed at 110k. New muffler at 100k.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
5. Power Steering

Thats normal in Hondas. The steering gets some heft to it once you've been on a straight road for a few minutes. Its done to give you more steering feel.

Everything else looks perfect to me. I need to do the tranny drain as well.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:08 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Vishnus11
That' exactly what I am planning to get done apart from the thermostat and the boots:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130311

Guys....I was considering getting these fluid changes done at Brakes Plus. I read their add closely and in the coolant flush thay mention recycled coolant....what's up with that ?
Old 01-25-2006, 08:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the input. Forgot to mention tht I'm changing the Diff Fluid as well - Kamlung mentioned this a few threads ago, and said he had good results with it - and plus, Im embarassed to admit it but I had no idea that our cars had diff fluid in them as well in addition to ATF!

Any idea where I should get these parts! I bought my master cylinder a while ago online, but can't remember the site -I believe a member on here (possibly Kamlung) recommended it to me. They stocked OEM quality parts that were made by the guys who "supposedly" supplied Honda, etc.

And does any1 have part #'s for the transmission strainer and thermostat?

One more thing - should I do a drain and fill on the tranny, or should I flush, especially since im moving from Valvoline Maxlife ATF to Honda ATF?
Old 01-25-2006, 03:23 PM
Pro

Actually, from what Honda and Acura have been telling me since I owned my first Honda is that you should NEVER change the transmission fluid with anything but Honda Approved Transmission Fluid. They claim that their transmissions are very sensitive and you should only use the honda approved fluid. Based on that conversation with their service tech that is what I have been doing since I owned my first honda back in 1984.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:26 PM
Pro

Additionally, I forgot to mention since you have 135k on your car you should change out the differential fluid. Any brand differential fluid is fine I had checked with my local dealer.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:20 PM
Burning Brakes

How do you change differential fluid?
I probably need to get that done.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by meazz1
How do you change differential fluid?
I probably need to get that done.
refer to kamlungs recent thread in the 1st gen forum:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130130

Thanks kamlung for the info! a full writeup would be Very cool.