For those who have installed aftermarket recievers

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 01:00 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those who have installed aftermarket recievers

I just installed a sony cd reciever and for two days, it ran fine but didn't hold the memory on the reciever? I'im guessing that the leads on the hookups to the batteries are messed up and the reciever stopped working.

I checked the reciver on another vbehicle and it works fine and reinstalled the factory and it worked as well.

I'm using a hook up harness from circuit city, but im guessing that the hook up harness is no good and ill have to pay to have it bypassed ?

Just curios if anyone out there installed there own and if they used a harness or had to bypass everything custom?

Thanks Again for the help

Trav
Old 06-15-2005, 01:26 AM
LDH
I

it sounds like you ignition wire is messed up, normally it's a red wire coming off of the headunit. Without that wire the headunit won't save information or work, but just check the connection.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:57 AM
Lord Ubber

I agree. It's likely the red wire. And knowing circuit sity they probally used the wrong harness.
If you want to save money I would 1st check the wire and if that does'nt work, go to Walmart and buy a new one for about 6 dollars.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...33274%3A164122

As for bypass. I did bypass mine all together for noise reasons.
Iran my pwr from batt. My ignition I put a LED switch and as for my ground Iran it to my amp ground at the rear.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:17 AM
Lord Ubber

P.S.
I would do the harness myself. It's easy as hell. All wires are color coded and the instru are easy to read.
While you're at walmart, I would also buy some red crimp wire connects.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:25 AM
LDH
I

Originally Posted by miltcharlie
I agree. It's likely the red wire. And knowing circuit sity they probally used the wrong harness.
If you want to save money I would 1st check the wire and if that does'nt work, go to Walmart and buy a new one for about 6 dollars.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...33274%3A164122

As for bypass. I did bypass mine all together for noise reasons.
Iran my pwr from batt. My ignition I put a LED switch and as for my ground Iran it to my amp ground at the rear.
you ran your ground to where you grounded the amp? wouldn't that be in the trunk? Grounds are meant to be as short as possible.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:40 PM
Lord Ubber

LDH
Not exactly true. When You have many grounding points there is a greater chance of introducing engine noise into the system by cross contamination with the many grounds found in the car. When you have a central point the resistants or magnetic field is lessened and the ground is local to its purpose.
I have all my audio stuff grounded at the same point.
When I did the central ground (12ga wire) my noise went down 75%. Then I upgraded my rca's to Monster XLN's and I am now noise free.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:40 PM
Intermediate

Invest in a multi-meter.
Old 06-19-2005, 06:56 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Umm...If i understand it correctly, the sound on my receiver came from the engine noise. So if i ground it directly from the battery, would that isolate the noise? Secondly, isn't the black wire from your receiver is built into the wire harness, how r u gonna wire it else where?
Old 06-19-2005, 07:52 PM
Lord Ubber

Yes you can ground directly to battery. That would also help on the noise.

I totaly bypassed my harness all together.
*My pwr is from my circuit breaker in the engine to the radio with a 10amp fuse at the radio.

*My gnd is from the radio to the rear along with my amps and 3XS.

*My ign-on is splice pwr from radio to rocker switch. Run ign-on from switch to radio with a 10amp fuse.

*Gnd switch to gnd from radio.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:45 PM
9th Gear

Actually, the yellow wire is the "memory" or constant +12V wire. Red is the switched power.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:53 PM
9th Gear

Exclamation

Originally Posted by LDH
it sounds like you ignition wire is messed up, normally it's a red wire coming off of the headunit. Without that wire the headunit won't save information or work, but just check the connection.
Not true. The red wire is actually the switched power lead. The yellow wire is the constant +12V. Nontheless, you are correct in saying that without the red wire the unit won't work, but as far as holding memory, the yellow wire is the one to be concerned with.

On another note, it is quite possible that the idiots at your local circuit city did screw up and give you the wrong harness, but I seriously doubt the harness itself is the culprit. Generally, if the harness was the wrong one, it wouldn't have snapped into place at all. I would check all of the connections and make sure they are correct. If you do wish to purchase a new harness, this is the one you need:

http://www.cardomain.com/item/SCOHA02B?vq_id=none

Good luck, and hopefully you'll figure out the problem soon, because having no music sucks.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:59 PM
TL Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LDH

I agree. Make sure your Red (ignition), Yellow (12V power), and Black (12V ground) are fastened securely. also make sure any unused and bare wires are taped up with electrical tape, to prevent short circuits or strange electical problems.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Cruisin'

Hey Everyone sorry for the slow reply.

I just had my alternator changed 600$ weee, so i finaly had a chance today to take a look at what you all sugested.

I bought the harness and adapter at circut city, the only thing i could see wrong was that there is a orange positive dimmer cord that doesnt connect at the harness so I moved it to connect. Now I am waiting to install it in case they are not supposed to be connected.

Im wondering if it is some kind of short becuase it was working fine for a while and just wouldnt hold memory then it went out ? Im guessing the yellow wire would be the culprit becuase of that but would it make the stereo stop functioning ?

btw the stereo works fine on my friends suv

Thanks a ton for all the help you guys YOU are all Awesome

Trav
Old 07-07-2005, 04:40 PM
Cruisin'

Ok just looked at the wires coming out of the acura that hook into the harness.

The wires are all difrent colors compared to the harness brown with white stripes etc i have three red wires with 3 difrent color of stripes and one yellow wire with a stripe coming out of the car
Old 07-07-2005, 07:44 PM
Lord Ubber

Do you have a aftermarket harness?

Sounds like you don't.
The harness connects to the radio harness and then plugs into the vehicle harness.

The wires you r talking about belong to the car. If you have a aftermarket those don't matter
Old 07-07-2005, 10:51 PM
Cruisin'

Yes I bought both harnes's

one for the radio and one to connect the car to the radio if that helps ?
Old 07-07-2005, 11:02 PM
Cruisin'

Yes I bought both harnesses:

one for the radio and one to connect the car to the radio- if that helps ? The aftermarket wires match up except the orange positive dimmers that I moved. I was trying to make sure the wires in the aftermarket harness matched the wires of the car but the wires to the car are all coloreddifferently and striped. Specifically, I was looking to see if the yellow wire from the harness and the red wire from the harness were hooking up with the matching colors from the car. The problem is, there are three red wires on the car with different color stripes. there seems to be two yellow wires- one is a bit more white than the other with stripes as well
Old 07-08-2005, 01:15 AM
Lord Ubber

The colors won't match the car. Those can be any color.
The main concern is matching the radio colors.
If you match the radio. You match the car.
As for the orange wire. You can remove that.

What radio harness do you have?
What car do you own?
Old 07-08-2005, 01:42 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the help Miltcharlie.

I own a 97 3.2 tl not sure of which harness, I belive its just a standard acura / honda harness

Do you happen to know which wire on the car is the ignition and whic is the 12v ?
Old 07-08-2005, 08:09 PM
Racer

LDH
Not exactly true. When You have many grounding points there is a greater chance of introducing engine noise into the system by cross contamination with the many grounds found in the car. When you have a central point the resistants or magnetic field is lessened and the ground is local to its purpose.
I have all my audio stuff grounded at the same point.
When I did the central ground (12ga wire) my noise went down 75%. Then I upgraded my rca's to Monster XLN's and I am now noise free.

I think what LDH was trying to say is running a long ground, especially a very small wire all the way to the trunk is a bad thing, which it is. Ground should be short as possible, and the gauge should be sufficient.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:51 PM
Lord Ubber

GSteg

Yeah I know. I was desperately trying different things trying to eliminate engine whine.

I just yesterday moved my ground to a spot in the engine bay.
Located on the drivers side on the cars engine wall. At the same level as the cars original ground. I was going to put it with car ground but I cut wire to short.

The run is like 3ft. of 12ga. Engine whine 100% gone.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:20 PM
Disturbin' The Peace!

[QUOTE=LDH]it sounds like you ignition wire is messed up, normally it's a red wire coming off of the headunit. Without that wire the headunit won't save information or work, but just check the connection.[/QUOTE

I have to burst your bubble, but, have you ever installed a stereo? The red is power ONLY WHEN THE KEY IS ON! The yellow is your CONSTANT POWER WIRE THAT ALLOWS THE RECEIVER TO OBTAIN ITS MEMORY! Obviously, black is ground. I'm not trying to be rude, but please know your facts b4 you offer help. I have been installing custom car audio systems for along time, so please take my advice. The poor guy just wants his receiver to work...
Old 07-08-2005, 10:24 PM
Disturbin' The Peace!

Yes you can ground directly to battery. That would also help on the noise.

I totaly bypassed my harness all together.
*My pwr is from my circuit breaker in the engine to the radio with a 10amp fuse at the radio.

*My gnd is from the radio to the rear along with my amps and 3XS.

*My ign-on is splice pwr from radio to rocker switch. Run ign-on from switch to radio with a 10amp fuse.

*Gnd switch to gnd from radio.

Why would you run the ground from your receiver to the same ground you have in the trunk for your amps? Thats just strange. Just use a single ground to the frame behind the dash. What has been said b4, the ground is supposed to be as short as possible. Running it to the trunk is just making the problem worse.