Things I should save from the 97..

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 03:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Question Things I should save from the 97..

As the title says, what should I save from my old 97 before it gets picked up by crushers. I am in the process of taking shocks out as we speak. Already took the fronts out and about to start on the rears. I am keeping front seats for sure. What else? Suggestions?
Old 01-16-2011, 04:04 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
If you can, get the motor. You can make a few hundred bucks from that alone. Wheels/brakes/rotors etc.

A cool project would be to take out all your seats and make 'em into some furniture, Top Gear style.

IMO you shouldn't even chuck your 97 at all, just keep it for spares in case something big goes on your sister's TL. Or is it just taking up too much space?

Maybe take the taillights and fiddle around with them and make a custom set if you have the time.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:24 PM
Str8 Home built

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
dam ur throwing that TL away.... DAM..... It could have been saved
Old 01-17-2011, 12:15 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Aman
If you can, get the motor. You can make a few hundred bucks from that alone. Wheels/brakes/rotors etc.

A cool project would be to take out all your seats and make 'em into some furniture, Top Gear style.

IMO you shouldn't even chuck your 97 at all, just keep it for spares in case something big goes on your sister's TL. Or is it just taking up too much space?

Maybe take the taillights and fiddle around with them and make a custom set if you have the time.

Saving the motor is in the cards. Not for making bucks but for own use later on. With 255K miles on "new" car I am thinking about saving this one with 100K less miles on it. Front brakes are getting exchanged tomorrow.

I'd love to have a seat like that. Thats why I am saving the front seats...haha. I'll see what can I do with the rear seats...

I'd love to keep it but I really have no space for parking at all. We have space for 4 but got 6 cars right now.

I am liking the tail light idea. There are no options for 1st gen other than Inspires or leave them stock. Someone tinted the turn signal area red on theirs on here. I like that and maybe end up doing it.

Originally Posted by bigwerm187
dam ur throwing that TL away.... DAM..... It could have been saved
Well I've no other choice. Car is not fixable so I am going to pull the parts off of this one and let the crusher take care of it.. Whole passenger front is gone, not fixable at all. See the pic..

Old 01-17-2011, 10:31 AM
Radical Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Take the shift knob off and put it in the "new" TL
Old 01-17-2011, 10:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Remove all the dash items you can, you'll be able to part those out over time (if you have the space and patience)
Old 01-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 9632tl
Take the shift knob off and put it in the "new" TL
The one on "new" car actually looks to be in better condition. haha

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Remove all the dash items you can, you'll be able to part those out over time (if you have the space and patience)
I had that in my mind also but the only thing left on the dash is the gauge cluster/vent trim. Passenger side vent went south during the accident..

Already took suspension out yesterday and installed the rears in the "new" one. Once I go home from work, I am going to start on the front shocks and also front rotors and pads... damn cheap I am...

How about catalyst? Thats worth nothing to the junker but worth a lot to me.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:13 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
the catalytic converter is worth a good amount to scrap for the metal content, battery, any wiring esp bulb connectors etc, a/c parts for backup, door handles with ignition to sell off, any good panels, interior, and possible sunroof parts.

i'd love the wood trim inserts for the doors and console.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 85 Posts
Blower motor if you could get to it, haha

Maybe while you're under the hood, pull the ABS unit as well.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:01 AM
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Also remember to take off the rear bumper/trunk/and tail lights and then sell them to me cause I'll need it d(^.^)b
Old 01-30-2011, 01:02 AM
8th Gear

I have the same green color as yours which works out perfect i dont have to spend extra money repainting it.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:48 AM
8th Gear

In the process of restoring my 97 acura tl 2.5 i just bought, poor baby was neglected and was on it's last leg.....Sniff sniff.... some people really shouldn't own cars at all really, how did she ever fall into the hands of this female driver only fate would save her.....

When i bought her the things that were already broken OMG!!

1.Really bad leaking fuel injector o-rings>looks like someone forced the fuel rail back on and crushed the o-rings, and then tried to seal it up around it with caulk seriously caulk?

2.Leaking jury rigged transmission cooler line- short one going to the radiator, poor baby i feared the transmission was fried.

3.Really hard shifting transmission, delayed shifting, not shifting into 4th gear, and torque converter locking and unlocking at cruise, after topping her off with about 3 quarts and half, wow i thought the transmission was done for, but after taping up the ripped intake plenum (temp-fix still need to find a good replacement part or make one myself) and checking the tps which was corroded and wasn't making good contact with the pins, I cleaned it up used contact brush cleaner and put in some dielectric grease she shifted like butter. I've read that the tps really really has an effect on how our transmission shifts, so that was the first thing to check, i had feared a dead tps, and i had an extra honda civic tps laying around but wasn't quiet sure how to rewire it, since I heard (read) that they weren't the same but luckly it was just a corroded connector.

5.Misaligned driver side wiper, broken passenger vent, blower motor died. Living and wi and no heat sucks in soo many ways in winter.

6.Dumb woman put water into the system instead of antifreeze, 4 different tires- 3 were totally bald like Mr. Clean's head at least one looked brand new pffff omg. Replaced with brand new bridgies hp 550.

7.Seized door locks, at first i thought the idiot owner gave me only the valet version of the key, but some lithium grease spray and shes smooth now.

8.Leaking power steering rack-still needs fixing.

9. Involved in a minor accident do to that it's got missing back bumper cover, trunk had been replaced with a white one from a 3.2 tl and had been ghettoed spray painting blotchy green, still needs replacing- I know where to get one but i'll have to respray it to stock color.

I'd have to say some of the worse car owners have got to be female drivers especially this one. Previous owner "I've put alot of money into this car i dont want to spend more" Inside my head-sure more like you milked her dry till she couldn't run anymore with transmission fluid, and flat tires. Previous owner "I wanna sell it cause there too complicated to fix" In my head -I think you had the philsophy of only fixeing somthing only when it's neglected and broke when you didn't even spend money to maintain or fix anything. I see that her other and only car was a beat up ford explorer, I dont feel bad it's a ford lol, needs to be taken off the road anyways. Well I only bought her in that shape because the engine ran good, body wasn't in pretty good shape considering the year and the back rear wasn't pushed in too much barely i'd say. 480.00 title in hand and I ran away with it.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for some stuff....

The parts for sale/wanted forum never has this kind of stuff so I'm going to try here. I need the tube from the airbox to my TB on a 2.5... item# 11 in the pic below.

Also the chrome tail pipe finishers, dont have to be mint but not trashed either.

Anyone?

Old 01-30-2011, 08:13 PM
Khmer Pride

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
center console? i pm you about them but no replys
Old 01-31-2011, 03:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
ok fellas... please don't turn this into a part out thread... unfortunately that needs to be limited to the black market only...
Old 02-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TL-lover
Also remember to take off the rear bumper/trunk/and tail lights and then sell them to me cause I'll need it d(^.^)b
If you live somewhere close, you are welcome to come pull it off. I don't have time to ship and anything to haul it to ship.

Originally Posted by KrayzieDxC
center console? i pm you about them but no replys
Sorry man, couldn't get back to you. I have been working 6 days a week and come home when its dark. Spend my Sunday's in garage working on the "new" TL. This Sunday I'll start on the interior. I still have to pull me DVD player out. I'll let you know for sure.

And sorry Mods, don't really mean to make it a part out thread. Just replying to some of the PM's.