Talk about bad day... Times 2.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 08:04 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Talk about bad day... Times 2.

Today, I went and came back from school just fine... My 96 3.2 was driving like a dream (as always) and I didn't have a single issue with it.

But I was going to take it out just now and started it and it had some trouble starting with a slight pause before ignition (as it frequently does) but started. But then... the whole car started shaking. It was rough idle. I took it though P, R, N, and D4 but it was rough idle at all of them.

I had a oil change not too long ago (a month maybe) and they check all fluid levels and lubed chassy so I doubt it was anything of the fluids. I shut off the car to check under the hood. Tranny fluid was fine and so was oil level, didn't think the others would matter. I restarted the car and the idle was still rough. So I decide to take it around the block and go to shut the hood... and... It doesn't shut all the way! I went back to look and found the hood release latch was loose so I couldn't completely shut.

Since its 8:00 PM now and the nearest Acura dealer isn't for an hour and I need my car... Is there anything you guys can think of that would cause this? I can just imagine how much this'll cost... to repair. And I haven't even done my latest maintainence check (for 110,000 miles or whatever).

BTW, I'm heart broken...
Old 02-10-2005, 08:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Could be bad engine or bad tranny mount.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:50 PM

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,988 Posts
i dunno have you changed the timing belt??
Old 02-10-2005, 10:07 PM
Racer

I pray it's not the engine... Could be a mount somewhere. And I think my timing belt was changed at 100K miles.

I drove it to the gas station, filled it up and put in some fuel injector cleaner and drove it around for a while and left it running. Still, rough idle.

I think it might be something besides rough idle actually... Because when I accelerate, it's not as fast and the shaking becomes worse increased RPMs. I think it might be a bad sparkplug or something...
Old 02-10-2005, 10:21 PM
Instructor

Sounds like a mount of some sort. Wouldn't be the timing belt would it? I thought that thing just snapped with no warning
Old 02-10-2005, 10:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Yeah, check sparkplugs, that could explain it too.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:57 AM
-glock security-

Originally Posted by Vincent
. I shut off the car to check under the hood. Tranny fluid was fine and so was oil level, didn't think the others would matter.:

just so you know

you have to check the trans fluid level while the vehicle is running or else you will not get an accurate reading of the level
Old 02-11-2005, 11:46 AM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

Originally Posted by jerseydriver
just so you know

you have to check the trans fluid level while the vehicle is running or else you will not get an accurate reading of the level
If you need to check the tranny fluid, do it while running... its the exact opposite to the engine oil where you have to check it while the engine is off...

in any case... it sounds like it might be your timeing belt and/or an engine mount that is failing... but i agree with Ken... you might have a couple spark plugs or wires that are worn to the core and you might need to change them... in any case... try a Tune up... Consists of Spark Plugs and Wires, Fuel Filter, Oil Change, Air Filter, (i normally get my tranny fluid changed and coolant flush), belts changed (not timeing belt but wouldn't be a bad idea...)... if all this doesn't help it... you might want to check your engine mounts while you are doing this super tune up on your car... I doubt its your tranny because of the lack of problems with it, especially at your low mileage...

EGR valve might be dirty or malfunctioning... man... i sound like i'm just shotgunning it... but all this is a must... i know i'll have to do it to my TL pretty soon too... especially the timing belt... close to 200,000 miles

hope its not something major... and that you get your TL fixed
Old 02-11-2005, 12:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
about the hood not closing...the cable is sticking. Had this happen on my civic. Look through the latch on the hood and find the cable. Then give it a tug, and lube it up. Should be ok.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jerseydriver
just so you know

Oh yeah, I did that... Just didn't say it right.

I decided that it would be best to just let the Acura dealership take a look. There's a lot of work the car needs and I've been very satisfied with their previous work. Hopefully, this won't require me to sell one of my kidneys on eBay.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:39 PM
Racer

My baby is ok!

My engine problem was a misfire in cylinder #4. The injector was replaced (free!). I got a new muffler becuase the old muffler and tip were rusted out (this was a known problem that I couldn't pay to replace before). My front, right window was religned. I got new pads in the front and the front rotors were resurfaced. There was some other little work and the total came down to $1006. Ouch. But all of it was worth it when I drove my car.

I didn't realize that the engine was supposed to be that quiet! I almost grinded my starter twice thinking the engine wasn't on!

But there is still more work to be done:
Wiper rod links need to be replaced ($150!).
Cig lighter assembly needs to be replaced ($160!!) but I think I'll pass on this as I don't smoke.
A new hood cable need- the old one was stretched out ($180!!!).

As great as this car is, I wish it wasn't so expensive to maintain. So far, I've spent $3500 on maintanence in less than 2 years!
Old 02-15-2005, 12:34 AM
TL no more!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow! Little too expensive!! But at least almost everything is back to normal. If you don't mind me asking, how much was the window realignment??
Old 02-15-2005, 05:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by WolfpackBill
Wow! Little too expensive!! But at least almost everything is back to normal. If you don't mind me asking, how much was the window realignment??
It was $98, which isn't too bad. A lot less than I expected. Plus, if you do it at the dealer you buy your Acura from, I think it's a lot less. Sadly, the dealer my Acura was purchased from is too far away.