Suspension for a 96 2.5TL

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2001, 12:08 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Suspension for a 96 2.5TL

I know that Eibach sells a pro set of springs for the car, but who sells shocks/struts for this. I have went to a couple of shops including Eastern Motorsports and the tell me that I have to go back to the Dealer cause there are no aftermarket shocks/struts for this car. The dealer wants $150 per shock for factory parts. Your help is greatly appreciated.

------------------
Old 05-07-2001, 12:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haha i think i'm on a roll with all these first gen topics. But anyways about the shocks. I have the pro kit on my car and from what i can tell the shocks are still good. i've heard that they prematurely wear off but not true in my case. you have to take into consideration that SF roads suck nuts and that since i've never changed my shocks tells you how well eibach has done their research. I've called them before to make sure that our stock shocks can take the impact of the springs and they said it's well within the limits of the shocks' abilities. There are apparently compatible shocks for our car but i'm not sure which year of the accord or what model that pertains to.
Old 05-07-2001, 12:56 PM
Pro

well. im in chicago. I have read a post mentioning a guy that does custom struts for our cars. he doesn't charge tax and shipping. supposedly he is pretty good. you can toncat him at http://www.powerteck.com. but you need to call him. PLEASE TELL ME IF YOU GET FURTHER INFORMATION! THANKS

------------------
<A HREF="http://jz983.cjb.net" TARGET=_blank> </A>
Old 05-07-2001, 01:03 PM
Pro

Originally posted by unx979:
haha i think i'm on a roll with all these first gen topics. But anyways about the shocks. I have the pro kit on my car and from what i can tell the shocks are still good. i've heard that they prematurely wear off but not true in my case. you have to take into consideration that SF roads suck nuts and that since i've never changed my shocks tells you how well eibach has done their research. I've called them before to make sure that our stock shocks can take the impact of the springs and they said it's well within the limits of the shocks' abilities. There are apparently compatible shocks for our car but i'm not sure which year of the accord or what model that pertains to.
hey man, how long have you had the pro kit? hows the ride quality compared to the stock ones? any noticeable difference? what about handling? any better? I am getting them this summer so i would like to get as much feadback as possible. how much did you get them for? what was the installation cost if you had them done? sorry for all the questions

------------------
Old 05-07-2001, 01:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

it's all good, no worries about the questions, that's what we're here for to share our experiences. I got the the prokit november of last year. Had the car since 97 and never changed the shocks. The ride is definately stiffer and you can feel more bumps, more so here cause of the bad roads. But still pretty comfortable. The handling is the best. OMG i can't tell you what a great investment this has been. Even though it only drops your car like an inch, the handling is sooooo much better. i can take those turns like crazy. I think before i would only be gutsy enough to take this turn at like 25 mph, but now i can take it at like 45. Another advantage would be the reduction of the nose dive. You know, when you brake the car usually leans forward and all that. As for the cost, i got my springs for hella cheap from this on line store. Just randomly found it and was somewhere around 200 bucks. I'll try to find you guys the site. The installation cost me 120. This included alignment right after the install. Ok guys if you want to save time on the installation, go buy the manual for the car. Even if the place you're taking it has a lot of experience lowering cars, i can guarentee you they've never lowered a 1st gen TL. I was so glad i had my manual handy for them to look at. Saved me like a few hours of just sitting there and watching them fumble with the rear seat. Oh yeah you have to take the rear seat off in order to reach the rear struts. hope this helps.
Old 05-07-2001, 03:15 PM
Burning Brakes

GAB used to make shocks for 1st Gen TL's but they no longer export to the US from what I have heard. I have been looking and looking for aftermarket shocks too. I called Bilstein and no luck, Koni-no luck, Tokico-nothing. So basically we are stuck with our stock shocks but if you are going to get the Eibach Pro Kit you should be fine. They are supposed to work with stock shocks. I got my Prokit install about two weeks ago and love them. The roads here are not that bad so in the comfort side I do not see to much of a difference. Meaning that its still smooth. You do feel the bumps in the road just a bit more but nothing too noticable. Now on the handling side like UNX979 said its a world of a difference. 20% stiffer springs make a 100% difference. Reduced nose dive on breaking, less body roll on turns, everything is nice!!

I bought my kit for $230 and install was also $120. It took the shop little less than 3 hours to do.

------------------
1998 3.2TL Satin Silver
Tinted Dark!!
HID headlights
Boston Pro 6.4's all the way around
Short Ram Intake
Eibach Springs
Clarion Auto PC
Old 05-07-2001, 06:24 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Wampum:
GAB used to make shocks for 1st Gen TL's but they no longer export to the US from what I have heard. I have been looking and looking for aftermarket shocks too. I called Bilstein and no luck, Koni-no luck, Tokico-nothing. So basically we are stuck with our stock shocks but if you are going to get the Eibach Pro Kit you should be fine. They are supposed to work with stock shocks. I got my Prokit install about two weeks ago and love them. The roads here are not that bad so in the comfort side I do not see to much of a difference. Meaning that its still smooth. You do feel the bumps in the road just a bit more but nothing too noticable. Now on the handling side like UNX979 said its a world of a difference. 20% stiffer springs make a 100% difference. Reduced nose dive on breaking, less body roll on turns, everything is nice!!

I bought my kit for $230 and install was also $120. It took the shop little less than 3 hours to do.

you hvae to bring the manual right?

------------------
Old 05-07-2001, 07:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Nah the shop that I went to was pretty knowledgable. The guy has done a couple of 1st Gen TL's...although I have never seen one here...but he did a good job. No book needed.
Old 05-07-2001, 10:42 PM
Racer

i just got my Eibach's put on tonight. i can already notice a BIG difference in handling. the lowered look is definitely good. i just hope that they don't make my 18's rub when they get here this week. do any of you that have these springs have 18's?? if you do, do they rub at all??

------------------
96 2.5 TL
Piaa Super Plasma Headlights, Piaa 1700X Fog's, Eibach Prokit's (that don't fit), Momo Woodgrain Shift Knob, Clear Bumper Lenses, 18" Giovanna Corsicas (here next week) Kenwood XC-917, Infinity Kappa Perfect 6 1/2" Components, Infinity Kappa 6x9, RF Punch 400.a4, Mobile Video Coming Soon!!!!
Old 05-08-2001, 02:08 AM

I'm in the opposite situation, i just got 18's and my car does not have springs. And YES they rub without springs, so you can tell me if I need to get springs when you get yours. I just got 18" niche shocks and they look badass, but I cant handle the rubs over big bumps, I cant even ride anyone in the backseat!!
Old 05-08-2001, 07:05 AM
Racer

so you are rubbing?? what is the offset on the Niche Shocks??? the moderator's said that as long as it's above 45 you should be good.

------------------
96 2.5 TL
Piaa Super Plasma Headlights, Piaa 1700X Fog's, Eibach Prokit's (that don't fit), Momo Woodgrain Shift Knob, Clear Bumper Lenses, 18" Giovanna Corsicas (here next week) Kenwood XC-917, Infinity Kappa Perfect 6 1/2" Components, Infinity Kappa 6x9, RF Punch 400.a4, Mobile Video Coming Soon!!!!
Old 05-08-2001, 08:53 AM
Safety Car

Okay um....I think ground control makes shocks for our cars?? am i wrong??? and if they do...they come with eibach springs. I dont know how much it costs but i hear its around 400 bucks!! just imagine...400 bucks for ground control (you can adjust the height!) ground control lowers your car to a maximum of 3" now thats a lot!! so if you have 18's....GOOD LUCK ahaha!

But if there isn't ground control for our 1st gen cars, try going with comptech springs. im sure Comptech springs are designed to fit and comply with our stock shocks...don't you agree??? If i were any of you, id return your eibachs and pay 300 bucks for comptech cuz comptech specializes in hondas/acuras! Eibachs are made for universal cars so i wouldn't really go for their springs (although i have bought eibach springs for my old car..and they are great springs) I just feel more secure with comptech since they only make parts for our hondas and acuras. Thats just my opinion!

As for our tail lights... Yeah SNOOK charges us 5 bills for inspire tail lights. It is kind of steep but HEY...he's the only guy that sells them!! He works hard to find us parts and gives out FREE...YES I SAID FREE "ACURA-TL.COM" stickers!! I ordered mine already...i got silver hehe He didn't charge us but he does take donations using paypal. later guys!

------------------
Now watcha know about them TEXAS boys comin down in candied toys smokin weed and talkin noise
Old 05-08-2001, 01:21 PM
Pro

Originally posted by TLBaller:
Okay um....I think ground control makes shocks for our cars?? am i wrong??? and if they do...they come with eibach springs. I dont know how much it costs but i hear its around 400 bucks!! just imagine...400 bucks for ground control (you can adjust the height!) ground control lowers your car to a maximum of 3" now thats a lot!! so if you have 18's....GOOD LUCK ahaha!

But if there isn't ground control for our 1st gen cars, try going with comptech springs. im sure Comptech springs are designed to fit and comply with our stock shocks...don't you agree??? If i were any of you, id return your eibachs and pay 300 bucks for comptech cuz comptech specializes in hondas/acuras! Eibachs are made for universal cars so i wouldn't really go for their springs (although i have bought eibach springs for my old car..and they are great springs) I just feel more secure with comptech since they only make parts for our hondas and acuras. Thats just my opinion!

As for our tail lights... Yeah SNOOK charges us 5 bills for inspire tail lights. It is kind of steep but HEY...he's the only guy that sells them!! He works hard to find us parts and gives out FREE...YES I SAID FREE "ACURA-TL.COM" stickers!! I ordered mine already...i got silver hehe He didn't charge us but he does take donations using paypal. later guys!

have you seen springs by Comtech for our 96s 2.5? if so, canyou give me a link or something. thanks

------------------
Old 05-08-2001, 05:30 PM
Safety Car

jz983.. the link is www.comptechusa.com our springs aren't listed in that catalog but there are springs for our car! I have a comptech catalog at home and it does have springs for our car. The site above has some camber kits for our cars too. all that is is that it just balances out our alignment so if we do get comptech springs, it wont eat up your tires. =o) bye!

------------------
Now watcha know about them TEXAS boys comin down in candied toys smokin weed and talkin noise
Old 05-08-2001, 05:41 PM
Ex-Mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 18's with a 45 offset and they rub over bad bumbs or if I have people in the back they run pretty bad.

------------------
Old 05-08-2001, 06:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

comptech doesnt make springs for our 1st gen TL's. your best bet is eibach. i emailed Tim a long time ago about comptechs for the 1st gen and he said they dont make them for our car.
Old 05-08-2001, 07:14 PM

Same here, mine rub over bad bumps and if I have anyone in the backseat they rub continuosly. I have 18's with a 45 offset. They look damn good on my car, but the tires are going to pop if I dont do something soon. I am going to get my springs replaced and hopefully that will do the trick. Because if I remember correctly (I've had Eibachs on an integra) the eibachs make your springs alot stiffer. The ride quality suffers, but the suspension is twice as stiff.
Old 05-08-2001, 07:22 PM
Pro

what about for 17"? anyone have 17s with or w/o springs? do they rub, or do you have any noticeable problems of any kind? tia

------------------
Old 05-08-2001, 08:11 PM
Ex-Mod

I'm gonna have the quarters cut eventually and drop it. That will stop the rubbing. I need to get a price on it.

------------------
Old 05-09-2001, 10:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Yeah like TLlover said Comptech does not make springs for our 1st Gen TL's or else I would have gone with them too.

TL Baller- I think Ground Control does make them for our cars, but I am pretty sure you would have to get new shocks and as of yet I have not been able to find any aftermarket shocks.
Old 05-09-2001, 10:30 AM
Din
Pro

Well if anyone is intersted in knowing, I just found out that the 18s I had on my 96 had an offset of +45 ir something like that, I called the shop that sold them to me and asked them. I dont know if it makes a difference but my rims were also a 3 piece rim. I never had any kind of rubbing problem at all, even with 2 people in tbe back seat.
Old 05-09-2001, 03:27 PM
Safety Car

I have a comptech catalog in front of me right here and they do make springs for our car!! ill even give you the part number so you can call comptech and find out yourself. I'd scan it for you but i dont have a scanner. it says:

ACURA TL 1995-98....PART NO. 53.0111....(sedan 3.2) 1.3"front/1.3"rear

ACURA TL 1995-97....PART NO. 53.0112....(sedan 2.5) 1.3"front/1.3"rear

Ok now go harrass comptech!! THEY HAVE A TOLL FREE NUMBER: (888) 626-6783 or (916) 933-1080

------------------
Old 05-09-2001, 04:17 PM
Pro

thanks a lot TLBaller!
Old 05-09-2001, 07:40 PM

I think the main reason why mine rub is because my springs are worn. I think if I just got new springs that were OEM they would not rub. My ride has gotten alot bouncier lately. When I had 17's they did not rub. I can remember a couple of times, but only when I was riding 5 deep and went over a big bump. You should have no problem with 17's.

Old 05-10-2001, 02:51 PM
r_c
Intermediate

jz983,

did you call Comptech?? If so, how much are they?? It's hard for me to call from work...

Thanks,
R_C
Old 05-10-2001, 05:36 PM
Ex-Mod

Why not just e-mail Snoook and check with him first? He'll hook you guys up. Just e-mail info@acura-tl.com.

------------------
Old 05-11-2001, 09:07 AM
Racer

Question

I am worried now, after reading all the post here. I really want 18's, I have the sportline kit on my car, which is a onsiderable drop. 2 inchs in the front and 1.9 inthe rear, and that is not adjustable.
So you guys are saying I will most definately rub with 18's?. I really want 18's because of how massive the rims would look under a lowered wheel well. I have however heard of a lot of horror stories with 18's and them poppin. I live near dc, and the roads are treacherous here in the nations capital. 17's look ok, but my friends who have them say they all want 18's. I dunno 17 inch tires are less expensive too. Have any of your visited www.victoriatire.com., check them out, they have a lot of rims that fit our car, 17,18,and even a few 19's....
Old 05-17-2001, 05:32 PM
Pro

I have a comptech catalog in front of me right here and they do make springs for our car!! ill even give you the part number so you can call comptech and find out yourself. I'd scan it for you but i dont have a scanner. it says:

Ok now go harrass comptech!! THEY HAVE A TOLL FREE NUMBER: (888) 626-6783 or (916) 933-1080

yo TLBaller. just wondering. what year is that catalog published? could it be that it was earlier and now they don't make the springs anymore?

------------------
Old 05-29-2001, 02:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

i emailed comptech and this was their reply:

To: snoopy8888@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: sport springs for Acura TL
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 10:36:48 -0700

No, unfortunately just for the 99+ models. Try Eibach or Suspension
Techniques. Thanks.

----- Original Message -----
To: &lt;info@comptechusa.com&gt;
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2001 9:24 PM
Subject: sport springs for Acura TL

&gt; do you make lowering sport springs for a 1996 Acura
&gt; TL?

Old 05-29-2001, 07:26 AM
Safety Car

jz983.. i think you have a point there. I got this catalog awhile back when it 1st came out. Which was like in 99 but now that i looked at the copyright in the catalog, it says feb 99 so... well, if they have the part number in this catalog, the MUST have some in stock! i guess they discontinued carrying it or something but let me email them with the part number and lets see what they say..
Old 05-29-2001, 12:40 PM
Pro

o man, just called them or emailed them forgot. they said that those part numbers are for the Eibachs that Comptech just happens to carry.