Supercharger Versus Turbos

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005 | 05:14 AM
Racer

Supercharger Versus Turbos

Hi folks.
What do you guys think is better, a belt driven supercharger or exhaust driven turbo? What are their advantage and disadvantages? Due to lack of parts, I think a supercharger would be easier to hookup than turbos. Anyone agree?
Old 10-17-2005 | 06:15 AM
Registered Driver

I dunno man, I really think you need to look farther into it yourself and really begin to understand them. Did you ever check out FYC Racing? There are quite a few cars running FI there that could offer you more insight than here.
Old 10-17-2005 | 10:49 AM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

click here!!!

That might help you understand a bit more about both... IMHO i would think that a supercharger would be best for our cars since we really don't want the whole "racer" theme to take over our car... keep it luxurious... buuut... i think a turbo might add more power since you aren't stealing away from the engine's power by adding another belt...

I really wouldn't know what to tell you... everything we do to our cars has to be custom... so an SC would be good... but to get on in there and have it work... haveing the correct PSI etc...

1 member here already got turbo into his TL... 2.5 btw... sooo... i'm guessing that is the best way to go since its easier to customize... just have pipes here and there and put the turbo in and you're done... then get a speciallist to tune it correctly for you...

I really don't know... just do you homework i guess...
Old 10-17-2005 | 11:04 AM
Instructor

Superchargers generally offer more low end torque than a turbo that has to spool.

For a fun street car, I'd go with a supercharger.

Also depends on the size of the turbo, however.
Old 10-17-2005 | 02:23 PM
Advanced

superchargers are better of the line because it dosent lag, it gives great response. Turbo on the other hand gives you more power, and its also upgradeable versus the supercharger you can only get a 10 pound pulley and thats it. Turbo you can upgrade them to a bigger turbo or the turbine. I raced couple of cars that had superchargers before they used to beat me of the line but once the turbo spooled I was gone. I personally like turbo the best once people hear the BOV they dont want to mess with you.
Old 10-17-2005 | 02:52 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by FinedTunedTL
superchargers are better of the line because it dosent lag, it gives great response. Turbo on the other hand gives you more power, and its also upgradeable versus the supercharger you can only get a 10 pound pulley and thats it. Turbo you can upgrade them to a bigger turbo or the turbine. I raced couple of cars that had superchargers before they used to beat me of the line but once the turbo spooled I was gone. I personally like turbo the best once people hear the BOV they dont want to mess with you.
i agree i dont belive in power driving by power plus turbo sound much more better, and the intercooler in the front showing, and once u hear the blowoff valve its on..
but i guess its all depens on what u looking for, and what kind of power u what.
if u r that agressive, racey type then go with turbo, if u r that lay back give u a surprize at the light type then go with the supercharger
Old 10-17-2005 | 05:49 PM
Racer

Hi folks.
Great to hear what you all have to say.
I myself is currently at a stage where I must decide whether to go with a supercharger or a turbo. And I have decided to go with a supercharger.

At first I did want to go with a turbo but change my mind because of a number of factors. The number of parts that must be customize, and the price is out of my buget.
I understand turbos can provide PSI higher than a supercharger.
But it is not needed. All the PSI I want is 6-9. Anything higher than that, I dont think the engine can take it without risk.

I also find hooking up a supercharger is easier than turbos.
The belt pulley is in front of the car and provides easy access. Unlike turbos,
you have to get under the car and inside the bumper.

What Im concern most after hooking these up is when you go for a state inspection. When you add these things, it will make more exhaust.
Bringing the car in with that to get a state inspection, I assume its going to fail the emissions test. A supercharger is easier to take off and reinstall unlike turbos.

The ultimate is still turbo but seeing how long its going to take to customize parts, Im going to stick wit a supercharger.
Old 10-17-2005 | 06:23 PM
Racer

^thats cool, where r u going to get this supercharger from? we all know that theres no aftermarket products out there. it is easier to make a superchager but do u have anyone thats going to do it?
Old 10-17-2005 | 07:23 PM
Burning Brakes

that would be sweet to see a supercharged TL...
ionno i read a thread like a year or two ago about someone who did a custom turbo on the first gen and was running like 14 psi for a while... and i dont think the person was a member on the boards also.. someone found the pic and info somewhere... forgot who it was
Old 10-17-2005 | 08:06 PM
Racer

^thats cool, where r u going to get this supercharger from? we all know that theres no aftermarket products out there. it is easier to make a superchager but do u have anyone thats going to do it?
The old mustang and corvette has a supercharger the shape and size of a T3/T4 Garret turbo. For the 2.5 TL, if we remove the airbox and the intake, we have much more room. And that is where I will be putting it.

To make a pulley for the supercharger, Im going to remove the pulley wheel from the alternator. Then drill 4 holes. Next take another wheel pulley, drill another 4 holes, and place it over the alternator wheel pulley and use screw in the 4 screws and voila!. The alternator wheel pulley will have another wheel attached to it. That will be where you put the supercharger belt. To secure the supercharger, I think we can rigg up somekind of bracket.

In addition, you can add an intercooler or a blow off valve if you wish.
It'll be easy to do that because you dont have to run a long pipe. I bet you can even use those flexible exhaust pipes too.

Once thats done, we just need to know how to add more fuel.
PLay around with the fuel little by little until you feeel that its right.
I think someone here has added more fuel to their tl. Anyone know how to do it?
Old 10-18-2005 | 07:20 AM
OMG! Oh N0ES!

Originally Posted by Ysidro
The old mustang and corvette has a supercharger the shape and size of a T3/T4 Garret turbo. For the 2.5 TL, if we remove the airbox and the intake, we have much more room. And that is where I will be putting it.

To make a pulley for the supercharger, Im going to remove the pulley wheel from the alternator. Then drill 4 holes. Next take another wheel pulley, drill another 4 holes, and place it over the alternator wheel pulley and use screw in the 4 screws and voila!. The alternator wheel pulley will have another wheel attached to it. That will be where you put the supercharger belt. To secure the supercharger, I think we can rigg up somekind of bracket.

In addition, you can add an intercooler or a blow off valve if you wish.
It'll be easy to do that because you dont have to run a long pipe. I bet you can even use those flexible exhaust pipes too.

Once thats done, we just need to know how to add more fuel.
PLay around with the fuel little by little until you feeel that its right.
I think someone here has added more fuel to their tl. Anyone know how to do it?
1. I dont think flex pipe will work
2. Have fun with a weakened pulley spinning at 7,000 rpm
3. I think you'll find making a custom supercharger setup will cost more than a custom turbo setup
4. good luck with trying to add boost to your car.
Old 10-18-2005 | 09:52 AM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

Originally Posted by cambo
1. I dont think flex pipe will work
2. Have fun with a weakened pulley spinning at 7,000 rpm
3. I think you'll find making a custom supercharger setup will cost more than a custom turbo setup
4. good luck with trying to add boost to your car.
3. $3,000 to $4,000 for the Comptech SC for the 2nd gen...
4. Its a possability...

I was looking at the SC's and i couldn't find a way to get the supercharger to bolt on to the intake and have it facing forward towards the belts to drive it... Seems impossible... You might want to find an SC that will fit a Front Facing Throttle Body + Front facing belts...

Looks like the Honda S2000 has a Front Facing belts with a front facing throttle body...
Seen here...

See the SC attached to the belt on the left... and see the throttle body/intake on the right... but the difference in size... as in from one side to the other... there might be some minor moding... extending the pipe between the SC and the intake...