stereo install (long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 01:16 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stereo install (long)

My roomate has a 96 3.2 which I have finally gotten him to add some stereo to. He bought speakers for the front as well as an amp for his subs that have been sitting in the corner for a month. I have seen lots of good posts on stereo questions but nothing specific on taking the car apart. Usually when I do a car I don't own I can get the mastersheet from Crutchfield that guides me, but for some reason they don't have one for his car...so I guess I have two main questions.

Front door panels, from my first look I only see two screws, one is the handle and one up high behind the lock, is there one in the light? Or any other that I am missing?

Rear seat, removal- screw or bolt locations...do I have to take the top half of the seat out first? And lastly I had read some posts about people having feedback when they run their RCAs down the passenger side of the car...has anybody tried driver side? OR should I just hit the middle as it has been suggested?

I am probably just going to attempt the doors today, I noticed a lot of peole having trouble with fitment..and we got 6.5s...but they are fairly shallow and inexpenisive so I don't think the basket should be too large...thanks in advance...
Old 06-01-2003, 07:30 PM
Ex-Mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: stereo install (long)

Originally posted by steindawg
My roomate has a 96 3.2 which I have finally gotten him to add some stereo to. He bought speakers for the front as well as an amp for his subs that have been sitting in the corner for a month. I have seen lots of good posts on stereo questions but nothing specific on taking the car apart. Usually when I do a car I don't own I can get the mastersheet from Crutchfield that guides me, but for some reason they don't have one for his car...so I guess I have two main questions.

Front door panels, from my first look I only see two screws, one is the handle and one up high behind the lock, is there one in the light? Or any other that I am missing?

Rear seat, removal- screw or bolt locations...do I have to take the top half of the seat out first? And lastly I had read some posts about people having feedback when they run their RCAs down the passenger side of the car...has anybody tried driver side? OR should I just hit the middle as it has been suggested?

I am probably just going to attempt the doors today, I noticed a lot of peole having trouble with fitment..and we got 6.5s...but they are fairly shallow and inexpenisive so I don't think the basket should be too large...thanks in advance...
Those are the only 2 screws on the door panel. Take those off and then the panel pops off. I usually begin to pop it off from the front door jam.

I've never taken the back seat off. I normally just pull up the corners and thats enough room for me to work and I did a lot of wiring work to my TL.

The best way to run the RCAs is down the middle of the car. I stayed on the passenger side of the hump.

Good luck!
Old 06-01-2003, 08:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
rear seats are really easy... truthfully u don't have to take out the seats to run wires... i ran my RCA along the driver side and my power along the passenger.. no feedback... if u really want to take out the rear seats its easy.. around the middle... there is a bolt between the cushion and the back part of the seat... take that bolt out and ur golden... just pull up on the seat and they come up and out... if u need ill post pics...
Old 06-02-2003, 08:23 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cool...thanks for the replies guys...got the doors done yesterday afternoon....pretty straight forward except for having to open up the baskets...my cousin had the dremel 2 hours away...so we had to go to Lowes....thanks again...