Shaved??

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 12:20 AM
giggity giggity giggity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaved??

How hard would it be to remove the "2.5TL" and the "Acura" from my trunk? I know that they are glued on, not screwed. Is it just a matter of getting the residue off?? I have a feeling the paint underneath is going to be less faded than the rest of the trunk.
Old 01-31-2004, 02:45 AM
Banned

Re: Shaved??

Originally posted by HQuakers
How hard would it be to remove the "2.5TL" and the "Acura" from my trunk? I know that they are glued on, not screwed. Is it just a matter of getting the residue off?? I have a feeling the paint underneath is going to be less faded than the rest of the trunk.

I've read that some owners are using a hair dryer to remove the old epoxy. As to the color difference, you might be right depending on if you leave your car outdoors much.
Old 01-31-2004, 05:26 AM
Banned

you will have some spots left if you take them off. But it will look cleaner. I shaved the back of my Accord, looked pretty nice. I would pop them up with something very slim. They might have holdes behind them too. So you'd have to fill the holes.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:38 PM
ballin and baldin

my "acura" just fell off

it has a indention in the paint now
Old 01-31-2004, 01:07 PM
All about JDM

I debaged my car, i used fishing line to peel mine off. There is a small bit of difference in the color, but its not that bad. Also you can see the out line of the words acura and 2.5TL from certain angles. But as a hole it looks a whole lot better.
Old 01-31-2004, 05:39 PM
giggity giggity giggity

Yeah, I had the dealer sticker on the car for like 4 years...I took it off and for a little while you could see "SUSSMAN" in the paint, but you can't even tell now...I think I'll wait before I decide to do this. Thanks for the info guys!
Old 01-31-2004, 05:53 PM
All about JDM

ONe more thing, i used 3M adhesive remover to get the remaining glue off.
Old 01-31-2004, 06:01 PM
giggity giggity giggity

I have this stuff thats really old called "Bug Off." it's very potent stuff, but I am careful with it and it works like a charm. If it doesn't work, I will use the 3M stuff. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2004, 08:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this is what you do. use a hair dryer, set it to where its MAXIMUM hot. angle it so that it blows behind the emblems. keep blowing on it while you "gradually" tug on the emblem. keep doing this until you feel the glue is heating up and getting soft. once you tug on the emblem and notice its "moveable" then use either dental floss or fishing line and run it behind the emblem. as you do this, spray the 3M adhesive remover behind the emblem on the glue (grab a towel and place it beneath the emblem so it wont run on your paint) keep heating up the glue with your hair dryer until it gets REALLY soft. as you do this, hold each side of the ends of the dental floss or fishing line and pull it towards you as you go downwards. what your doing here is to remove the emblem and some parts of the glue stuck to it. try to leave some of the adhesive still on the trunk. if you try to use dental floss/fishing line to take off ALL the adhesive, you'll risk scratching your paint with the floss/line.

once the emblem, with some of the glue stuck to it, you should see the other half of the glue on the trunk lid. now, keep doing what you've done before but this time, just use the hair dryer and the 3M spray. keep blowing hot air on it as well as 3M spray. take a soft towel and gently rub it off. if it dont rub off, just keep blowing hot air and 3M.

*EDIT* oh yeah, there are no holes behind the ACURA and 2.5TL/3.2TL. there are 2 holes behind the Acura logo "A"