Questions from a Newbie !

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 01:52 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions from a Newbie !

Hey everyone -
Just bought a 96 2.5 w/70k. got it for $11,500, I thought it was a decent deal, opionions?

Anyway, to my real questions.

1) Anything I should know maintenance wise at this mileage ?
I'm going to wait a little while on timing belt/water pump, I think that should be ok for a while.

2) I don't have keyless entry, any recommendations on a good system for this vehicle to obtain that? I thought that would be standard on this vehicle, guess not. Factory have one that's any good ?

3) I can't get radio stations to register on the pre-sets. From the manual it looks like I'm
supposed to tune to the station I want and then hold down the preset I prefer til it beeps.
Correct ?

4) Would like a good source to get factory accessories/parts (relatively) cheaply, any suggestions ?

5) Any performance modifications available out there ? I'm 32 years old keep in mind and not
looking for major league exhaust systems or anything like that. Just looking for chips, anything of that sort.

Thanks for your help folks !!!!
Old 10-24-2001, 02:15 PM
whoXwanXsum

i thought we all had key less entry? no chips for the tl, sorry. yes, thats how u preset your radio
Old 10-24-2001, 02:19 PM
2nd Gear

Keyless

I thought so too, but the guy I bought it from said no. He probably handed me a line of B.S. Guess I should have checked into it more. Is there somewhere I can look on the vehicle to see if a keyless system is installed ??
Old 10-24-2001, 02:46 PM
Pro

Re: Questions from a Newbie !

Originally posted by Hondo
Hey everyone -
Just bought a 96 2.5 w/70k. got it for $11,500, I thought it was a decent deal, opionions?

I'm going to wait a little while on timing belt/water pump, I think that should be ok for a while.

There will be a scheduled tune-up at 75k miles. According to my dealer, timing belt/water pump can be changed at 90k miles.

2) I don't have keyless entry, any recommendations on a good system for this vehicle to obtain that? I thought that would be standard on this vehicle, guess not. Factory have one that's any good ?

I won't assume that your car has keyless entry from the manufacture. Best suggestion, you can go check at your local Acura dealer, and find out. If your car has come with one, but you don't have the remote, you can just purchase a remote, then have it program, it'll be cheaper than the whole new system. If it turns out that your car doesn't come standard with a system. I'll suggest an aftermarket security system will be cheaper than the manufacture one. Yet it will also has more options.

3) I can't get radio stations to register on the pre-sets. From the manual it looks like I'm
supposed to tune to the station I want and then hold down the preset I prefer til it beeps.
Correct ?

Correct!

4) Would like a good source to get factory accessories/parts (relatively) cheaply, any suggestions ?

www.acura-tl.com - www.autocarparts.com
more information? email: info@autocarparts.com

5) Any performance modifications available out there ? I'm 32 years old keep in mind and not
looking for major league exhaust systems or anything like that. Just looking for chips, anything of that sort.

visit: www.autocarparts.com

Old 10-24-2001, 02:54 PM
Intermediate

WELCOME TO THE BOARD

CONGRATS ON BUYING ONE OF THE BEST CARS IN THE WORLD , I DIDNT THINK I HAD A KEYLESS ENTRY SYSTEM IN MY CAR BECAUSE I DIDNT GET A REMOTE WITH THE PURCHASE OF MY CAR, BUT I DID I WENT TO THE DEALER AND TOLD THEM I NEEDED A REMOTE. I BOUGHT ONE THROUGH THE DEALER, NOT SUCH A GOOD IDEA ($70.00) BUT IT WORKED THEY EVEN PROGRAMMED IT FOR ME, HAVE YOU CONTACTED AN ACURA DEALER ?, I HAVE A 97 3.2 BUT I HAVE A FREIND WITH A 96 2.5 AND HIS HAD A FACTORY REMOTE, I HOPE THIS HELPED AND ONCE AGAIN GOOD LUCK WITH THE CAR!!!
Old 10-24-2001, 03:39 PM
whoXwanXsum

Re: Keyless

I thought so too, but the guy I bought it from said no. He probably handed me a line of B.S. Guess I should have checked into it more. Is there somewhere I can look on the vehicle to see if a keyless system is installed ??
the lil spot kinda close to your mirror on your driver door, with a red light and says security, u have it. go back to the dealer and get your remote. they tried the same shiit with me
Old 10-24-2001, 09:49 PM
Banned

Nah mine didn't come with a remote either, that security light is just an alarm for the radio, door opening and trunk.
Old 04-07-2003, 01:36 PM
9th Gear

Hondo - dealer suggestion, phoenix

Hi,
I have recently moved to chandler. I see that you are based in mesa, arizona. Could you suggest me any good dealer in this area where i can go for the regular maintainance? I have 98 3.2TL with 88k miles.

Appreciate your reply.
Old 04-07-2003, 03:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

wait we all have remote keyless entry?!?! what da heck...how come i don't have it? is it standard for the 3.2? cause i have the 2.5 maybe that's why. i want keyless entry =(
Old 04-07-2003, 03:43 PM
Instructor

i have a 98 2.5TL, i have keyless entry, my car is from canada, but i wouldnt think there's any difference.

the dealer probably just didnt give u the factory remote, is just a simple lock/unlock. and the security should be for our factory alarm... is it in the manual? i didnt get a manual, i read the 3.2 one, and that's for alarm!
Old 04-07-2003, 06:22 PM
Instructor

Re: Questions from a Newbie !

Hey everyone -

The trans fluid should be changed every 30K (this from an Acura engineer) and only with Honda ATF.

You have keyless entry. The last owner probably lost the fob. You can find them on ebay. It' pretty easy to program.

Correct ?

That's right.

Good thing you have a 2.5TL. There is not much, but more for the 2.5TL and you can use some Vigor engine mods. At least the 2.5TL has a K&N filter, I have to buy my filters from the dealer.

Old 04-07-2003, 06:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

i know the keyless entry was an option but are you saying that ALL the TL's have keyless entry and its just a matter of getting the remote and programming it? if this is the case, i wish i knew this before i got keyless entry put on my car. got the basic viper alarm for $180 with keyless entry.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:25 AM
Advanced

yeesh how much would it cost for a new alarm system? my alarm on my car is going haywire
Old 04-08-2003, 02:20 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by TLover8888
i know the keyless entry was an option but are you saying that ALL the TL's have keyless entry and its just a matter of getting the remote and programming it? if this is the case, i wish i knew this before i got keyless entry put on my car. got the basic viper alarm for $180 with keyless entry.
That's my understanding. I heard that the only options were Premium (heated seats and mirrors) and Navigator. Everthing else, including power leather seats, sunroof, etc., are all standard.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:05 AM
Attorney- Will Sue 4 Food

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had 3 cars and put a "Code Alarm" system on all 3. It runs about $200.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:51 AM
Instructor

Replacement keyless entry fob on ebay, cheap. If he doesn't have the instructions, I'll e-mail you them.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6763
Old 04-09-2003, 09:00 AM
tre
Racer

I have one that ill sell for like 23 bucks shipped.