Probs with my 96 TL

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 10:21 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Probs with my 96 TL

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and you wouldn't believe how many problems you guys solved for me here. thanks alot.

Anywho. I figured I might list some and if anyone knew any fixes, well that'd be great.

I'll get pics up soon, as soon as I get my digital camera out in the sun...
got the car for about four g's. Probably too much but it's my first car and I'm trying to make it a project.

1. Tranny jerks like a beast when switching from 1st to 2nd, sometimes the tires chirp and it makes me look like an idiot. These engines are strange, it sometimes almost redlines if I floor it. Is this normal or is it a computer malfunctuntion? (I'm considering changing the tranny filter as mentioned in previous threads here)

2. When air conditioner is on, the car rev's on it's own in idle. Makes me look retarded, like I have hydrolics lol and it jumps up and down from about 500 to 800.

3. My airvent mover things are missing.

4. Front windows are slow as shit and I think I might take apart the panel and lube them up as mentioned here in previous threads.

5. Another embarrassing thing. The keyless entry sometimes jams the locks and the car's factory alarm goes off beeping loudly and obnoxiously. The first time it happened I seriously could not figure out what to do, luckily I was in the Pep Boys parking lot and one of the workers told me just to use the other key to unlock the door instead of the remote.

I love this car but it needs a lot of work.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:48 PM
2003 Acura MDX

my tranny also jumps, and my wheels chirp too!

I think it makes my car look more powerful when it does that haha.

I think its supposed to rev by itself when you have the ac on, to keep the engine cool, I think or to power the ac, one of the two.

I lubed up my windows, it made a hell of a difference, but dont use wd-40, use a longer lasting grease.

..and its suppose to red-line when you floor it.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:13 PM
Khmer Pride

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
the air vent moveing thing, i broke mind when tryin to installing the gauges,those u cant not get seperate part must buy whole instrument panel $203.00 which i bought
Old 09-16-2005, 11:47 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by VulgarDisplayOfPower

1. Tranny jerks like a beast when switching from 1st to 2nd, sometimes the tires chirp and it makes me look like an idiot. These engines are strange, it sometimes almost redlines if I floor it. Is this normal or is it a computer malfunctuntion? (I'm considering changing the tranny filter as mentioned in previous threads here)

Does your spedometer work?

When my speedometer stoped working i had those rough shifts and my idle was rough also...I replaced my speed sensor and all was good.

But for now you have to try and feel the shift...when u get to the shift point press the gas more and lay off...you won't feel the shift at all.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:38 PM
Instructor

For the transmission it is most likely a combination of a clogged filter and dirty fluid. I cleaned my filter and drained a filled my car a couple times a few weeks apart and it made a world of difference. My fluid was actually so bad that I'm going to drain and fill it again next week since it already looks kind of bad again.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:31 PM
Advanced

Hah, just lubed up my windows.
It probably increased the speed by about 20-25% and the squeal is gone when it's rolling up or down.
Awesome.
My speedometer works, so I doubt it's that.
I fixed my locks today in case anyone wants to know how to do it.
I took off the entire door panel and took off the protective seal thing.
At first it took me forever to think what the problem was but then it may have been a mix of two things.
The door catcher in the door was screwed WAY too tight (probably a manufacterer error), which I loosened and then I also noticed this white object (can't think of a name considering it's useless) around the little bars that control the lock and door handle.
It was just there and it was also adding pressure to them and inallowing my lock to close and at times setting off the factory theft alarm.
I opened the door with the intention of cutting the security wire completely but now it's fixed.

As for the air conditioner make the car rev up and down in idle.
Mechanics are telling me different stories...
First one told me it's a lack of freon... and another one told me it might be a computer error and the engine is under revving.
So much stuff to fix... ahh!
Old 09-23-2005, 08:28 PM
10th Gear

It probably increased the speed by about 20-25% and the squeal is gone when it's rolling up or down.
Awesome.
At first it took me forever to think what the problem was but then it may have been a mix of two things.
The door catcher in the door was screwed WAY too tight (probably a manufacterer error), which I loosened and then I also noticed this white object (can't think of a name considering it's useless) around the little bars that control the lock and door handle.
It was just there and it was also adding pressure to them and inallowing my lock to close and at times setting off the factory theft alarm.
I opened the door with the intention of cutting the security wire completely but now it's fixed.

First one told me it's a lack of freon... and another one told me it might be a computer error and the engine is under revving.
As for the air conditioner. Try to remove the fuse for the radiator fan to see if that makes a difference. I had a shop quote me for replacing the AC but found out that it was the fan that was the problem. The fan comes on automatically when the AC comes on.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:47 PM
Cruisin'

Awesome.

what did you do to the door to fix the door locks? is this in reference to the doors automatically locking? what year and model tl was this on?
Old 05-31-2008, 06:20 PM
Saving Old Cars

Door locks related:
similar problem with the vigor stock alarm system.
It is caused by corrosion and just plane gunk in the sensor and connectors. Remove door panel and inspect all wiring and sensor for visible defect, if all else fails, replace it.