over heating question

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 09:15 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
over heating question

trying to help a friend out, he doesn't have a haynes manual and his can is over heating.

both upper and lower hoses are hot
both fans run with ac
driver fan runs when off(pretty sure it's the driver)
no fans run while car is on and ac is off.

he replaced a temp sw. on the intake, i had 5v on one lead, sw. had 105 ohms of resistance while hot.

he has a group of 5 or 6 relays on the top driver side of the radiator, one controlled the fans when the car is off( or when the ac was on can't remember) it was a constant hot with a negetive signal, probally an AC relay. i wired a sw. from the neg. to that relay so he can at least get some cooling but it appeared that this relay was fine, so i'm guesing he has another relay that may be the culprit, of a second sw. i didn't see anything on the bottom pass. side (addmitedly i didn't look to hard)

will try to answer any questions to the best of my ability(again not my car, and not planning on putting too much time into this)

in advance thank you.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Khmer Pride

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by hurri10209
trying to help a friend out, he doesn't have a haynes manual and his can is over heating.

both upper and lower hoses are hot
both fans run with ac
no fans run while car is on and ac is off.

he replaced a temp sw. on the intake, i had 5v on one lead, sw. had 105 ohms of resistance while hot.

he has a group of 5 or 6 relays on the top driver side of the radiator, one controlled the fans when the car is off( or when the ac was on can't remember) it was a constant hot with a negetive signal, probally an AC relay. i wired a sw. from the neg. to that relay so he can at least get some cooling but it appeared that this relay was fine, so i'm guesing he has another relay that may be the culprit, of a second sw. i didn't see anything on the bottom pass. side (addmitedly i didn't look to hard)

will try to answer any questions to the best of my ability(again not my car, and not planning on putting too much time into this)

in advance thank you.
its normal for the fan to run..a long day of driving and keeps it cool

is the temp gauge above the middle?

i'll check my service manual for this
Old 09-06-2011, 07:15 PM
3rd Gear

i understand it's normal for the fans to run but the problem is

both upper and lower hoses are hot(normal)
both fans run with ac(normal)
no fans run while car is on and ac is off.(the problem)

i wired the fan so he can use a toggle switch. which can be a problem if someone accidently hits the remote start and the toggle switch is off and the car runs 15min with out any fans and it's 90 out. leaning toward a second tempature sw. i didn't see, or a bad relay.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Big plans not enough $$$

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Did your friend check the thermostat? my brothers car had the same problem (1992 accord), the thermostat wasnt working so we changed it and it doesnt overheat.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:31 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
seeping head gasket...same problem on my legend yrs ago and now the same problem with my TL. very tricky on these engines how it overheats. start saving up.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:46 PM
3rd Gear

i told him to replace the t stat, but normaly if it's stuck closed the lower hose doesn't get hot, unless i'm misstaken, he said he read quite a bit about head gaskets on these cars but i didn't have time to do a compression test, but he didn't have any antifreze in the oil. i'll check to see if compression is equal across all the cylinders, but would a bad head gasket cause the fans to not turn on automatically? thanks for the responses.