New Battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 04:27 PM
98 3.2 Flamenco Black

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
New Battery

After 7 years (I bought my 98 3.2 pre-owned, the battery seemed original) I finally replaced the Acura battery with a Costo-Kirkland, now it is one click no hesitation start!

The winter is coming, I do not want to be stranded one morning.

Whew, the battery prices have gone up! This Kirkland battery from Costco used to be $49 (just 6 months ago), now it is $60, This batter is made by Johnson Controls, good stuff. All my cars have them.

Great cranking power!

It is winter, you need the juice on those cold days...(yeah like it freezes down here in the ATL)!!!

Last edited by Mandy; 11-09-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I second that. I also have Kirkland in both my cars and I am happy with the cranking power.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:23 AM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Mandy
After 7 years (I bought my 98 3.2 pre-owned, the battery seemed original) I finally replaced the Acura battery with a Costo-Kirkland, now it is one click no hesitation start!

The winter is coming, I do not want to be stranded one morning.

Whew, the battery prices have gone up! This Kirkland battery from Costco used to be $49 (just 6 months ago), now it is $60, This batter is made by Johnson Controls, good stuff. All my cars have them.

Great cranking power!

It is winter, you need the juice on those cold days...(yeah like it freezes down here in the ATL)!!!
What kind of hesitation were you experiencing?
Old 11-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought my 05 RL in March 2008. Right after I got it, I brought it in for a few minor warranty issues. Acura also noticed that that battery was having problems so they changed it. Well, they had to change it again today as I was having problems over the weekend with weak cranking power. They also fixed my Daylight Savings Time problem too. Always great service at Acura of Las Vegas.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 85 Posts
Hey guys, my dad's truck battery went out a couple months ago. I tried to give him a jump start and it didn't start. But when we put in the new battery it started right away. I find that very weird because i had the cables on for a good amount of time. Could that mean my battery is getting weak??
Old 11-10-2008, 07:36 PM
98 3.2 Flamenco Black

Sometimes it is not the battery per se, it is the connection when it fails on a jump start.

When jump starting, make sure you have a good connection, such as tap the negative on a well grounded location in the body, instead of the battery terminal...learned this lesson the hard way. Cost a friend a new battery prematurely.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:38 PM
98 3.2 Flamenco Black

Originally Posted by vas25tl
What kind of hesitation were you experiencing?

It was just not turning as quickly...there seems to be some juice left on the battery but I just wanted some peace of mind.

Investing in a $60 battery to last you at least 5 years...means $12 per year. Math says go and not risk being stranded one morning cursing...
Old 11-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

When jump starting, make sure you have a good connection, such as tap the negative on a well grounded location in the body, instead of the battery terminal...learned this lesson the hard way. Cost a friend a new battery prematurely.
I made sure that the connection was good and did it many times with no success of getting the truck started. We tried all kinds of different ways, negative on negative and negative on well grounded location with the same result. I have asked many people the same question as to why I couldn't jump start the truck. The answers that i get are that my car battery's cranking amp is not enough to jump start the truck. I still have no clue... just wondering if my battery is on its way out or what.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can get it checked at Midas for exemple. I go there to get my battery and starter checked all the time. The readout will tell you how much juice you have.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:39 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by main70072
I made sure that the connection was good and did it many times with no success of getting the truck started. We tried all kinds of different ways, negative on negative and negative on well grounded location with the same result. I have asked many people the same question as to why I couldn't jump start the truck. The answers that i get are that my car battery's cranking amp is not enough to jump start the truck. I still have no clue... just wondering if my battery is on its way out or what.
Was the truck even trying to turn over? Was your engine running at the time? If anything, since the starter draws from the battery's ability to store energy, the battery that was in your dad's truck was probably so dead that even a jump couldn't revive it.

Keep in mind for future jump-starts: hook up your car to the dead car's battery and idle for a few minutes. Shut off your car, then try starting the other car. If you don't do that, you might end up frying something. Incompatibilities between charging systems aren't easy to tell, but follow this piece of advice and you should be fine.

~Cheers~
Old 11-10-2008, 11:00 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Mandy
Damn, my battery was $150 even after a discount... If it wasn't for weight considerations, I would've gotten those batteries, too. I had forgotten how heavy regular batteries were until I sold my friend a smaller one I had sitting in the garage a couple months ago. That one was less than 2/3 the size my main battery, but a good seven or eight pounds heavier.

Originally Posted by wcimo
I bought my 05 RL in March 2008. Right after I got it, I brought it in for a few minor warranty issues. Acura also noticed that that battery was having problems so they changed it. Well, they had to change it again today as I was having problems over the weekend with weak cranking power. They also fixed my Daylight Savings Time problem too. Always great service at Acura of Las Vegas.
Funny how the newer cars seem to have more little problems than the older ones and the fixes are more elusive... My DST problem was fixed by pushing the hour button a shitload of times, . No dealer trip for me!

~Cheers~
Old 11-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

To answer Go90go's question, the truck was just making clicking noises. It did not turn over. The strange thing was the battery meter inside the truck was in normal range. I did keep my car running and let it idle for at least half an hour. The funny thing was the truck was running for at least 4 hrs before we stop to get food for 10 mins and got back out to start it and it wouldn't start. BTW, this was during a hurricane evacuation and it was very late and dark outside. Since then the battery has been changed and no more problems. Thanks for yall suggestions!