Need Rear Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 10:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Rear Brake Pads

Hey guys I need to get a set of rear break pads. Does anyone have experience in aftermarket pads? Recommend anyone? I saw there are a few on this site AEM and a couple other brands. Also does anyone have a step by step how to replace them. Thanks
Old 01-16-2002, 11:25 AM
Who Needs a Type-S?

I have AEM pads and they are great.I can't really give you an accurate estimate regarding braking power because there's no way for me to test that, plus I put on my heavier CL-S rims at the same time. They do offer enhanced pedal feel though..very linear and they grab hard even when cold. Can't tell you how to install tho, my shop did it for me. If you have a Acura Service Manual you could do it yourself. It just involves taking off the wheel, removing a few bolts attched to the caliper etc etc.

Just curious as to why you need rear brake pads, did you already replace your front set?
Old 01-16-2002, 11:27 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
go to www.ahmotor.com the sell the factory pads for like $45 + Shipping.
Old 01-16-2002, 12:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by TuRb0MiKeY
I have AEM pads and they are great.I can't really give you an accurate estimate regarding braking power because there's no way for me to test that, plus I put on my heavier CL-S rims at the same time. They do offer enhanced pedal feel though..very linear and they grab hard even when cold. Can't tell you how to install tho, my shop did it for me. If you have a Acura Service Manual you could do it yourself. It just involves taking off the wheel, removing a few bolts attched to the caliper etc etc.

Just curious as to why you need rear brake pads, did you already replace your front set?
I need just rears cause I just got my 45k mile service and I am down to about 5% life in rears and 60% on front. The owner before me must have replaced the fronts before I got the car. I also have CL-S rims
Old 01-18-2002, 01:21 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm running organic ones from AutoZone.

They suck, it was only $12 bucks though.
I recently purchased Factory Acura pads for $60 at the dealership and plan on replacing them soon.

If you've done brake jobs before then it's pretty simple except for the cylinders do not get PUSHED back using claps.
The Rear brakes have a + looking grove in them and that cylinder needs to be TURNED CLOCKWISE to move them back for the new pads to fit. I used a needle nose pliers to do the job.

This wont make sense right now but once you have it apart, you'll see what I mean.
Print this out and take it down with you just in case you want to re-read it.

again, dont push the calibers back but TURN the calibers clockwise using a needle nose pliers for the rear brake job

Mola
Old 01-20-2002, 03:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

i just got the lifetime brake pads from Pep Boys...theyve lasted for about 3 years. the good thing about the lifetime is that you just have to take them into Pep Boys when they are worn down and exchange them for new ones for free.

Mola is right about the cyclinder...it is a pain in the ass to push in. there is actually a small circular tool that attaches to a socket wrench and you can use that for turning the cyclinder..i got it at Pep Boys.
Old 01-20-2002, 11:05 AM
Racer

yeah, i'm looking for new brake pads too. i think i'm going to get the AEM ones too. my brakes are worn pretty bad. when i step on them hard i can hear a scratching sound. and it definitely takes longer to stop. i'm going to order mine soon. i'll let everyone know how they are.