My TL and I divorcing...soon.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:10 AM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
My TL and I divorcing...soon.

So my car hit 150,000 miles this past weekend. I've talked to guys at the dealership and they said they've seen our cars go for 250,000 miles. I don't know how realistic that is, but here's the problem. My wife is going to be starting in pharmacy school this fall, which means I have to put her through school. I'm currently working towards a Master's program. I have to make my car last at least 5 more years, which I don't now if that's gonna happen seeing how I put 16,000 miles on a year.. If not, I have to down size for a few years and then I can buy whatever the hell I want...within reason, of course.

Anyway...I test drove a RSX Type-S and a G35 (just for the hell of it!) two weeks ago. I was impressed at how well it performed in the city (the RSX). What do you guys think? I need a car that gets good gas mileage, isn't too expensive, is reliable, and still gets up and moves. Thoughts?
Old 03-26-2008, 10:34 AM
IM SLAMMED!!!!!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rsx is nice quick little car I think the honda accord coupe is hot also
Old 03-26-2008, 11:26 AM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
You say you have to put your wife throught school, so I would assume that you don't want any more debt at this time. If your TL is running normally, then why not spend just a little $$$ to make sure all systems are running normally (also, timing belt change and the like) instead of buying another car? This way, you can save by not getting into another car payment (or even outright purchase). You're young, so you will be able to buy whatever you can afford in the future if you and/or your wife have professional degrees. My advice is to keep what you have since you know how it runs (the only exception to this is if the car you have is 'nickel and dimeing' you because different things are breaking down.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:05 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
a paid off car is more valuable than a new one IMO. stick with what you have, if it aint broke, dont fix it. save your money now and just make sure you take care of your current car. My car is 10 years old and it doesnt have as much miles as you, but i will be puttin about 20k a year on it, and i just have faith that it can last through my college years
Old 03-26-2008, 06:18 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by SurfingScotty
So my car hit 150,000 miles this past weekend. I've talked to guys at the dealership and they said they've seen our cars go for 250,000 miles. I don't know how realistic that is, but here's the problem. My wife is going to be starting in pharmacy school this fall, which means I have to put her through school. I'm currently working towards a Master's program. I have to make my car last at least 5 more years, which I don't now if that's gonna happen seeing how I put 16,000 miles on a year.. If not, I have to down size for a few years and then I can buy whatever the hell I want...within reason, of course.

Anyway...I test drove a RSX Type-S and a G35 (just for the hell of it!) two weeks ago. I was impressed at how well it performed in the city (the RSX). What do you guys think? I need a car that gets good gas mileage, isn't too expensive, is reliable, and still gets up and moves. Thoughts?
Dude, I'm at ~247,500, at one point I was putting 1000+ miles a week, and I'm on the original tranny/axles. The only reason my motor went at 236,480 was because of poor maintenance from the previous owner.

Keep the car.

~Cheers~

P.S. Paid-off > financed any day.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:19 PM
大日本帝国

Originally Posted by phee
My car
Phee, what do you mean broke? Money-wise, or have you been racing your Civic friend too much that your car broke? HAHA!

~Cheers~
Old 03-26-2008, 10:11 PM
Advanced

Debt is debt. Roll with a paid off car. If you worry about it, sell it and buy a civic or older accord. They will run forever and could be paid off as well.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am at 239k and it feels like it will go another 30/40 k without any problem.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:09 PM
大日本帝国

Mileage update, I'm just under 248K now, . Plus with the hard driving and track days I do, you should take on another 50K in wear and tear, haha.

~Cheers~
Old 03-27-2008, 08:46 PM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Originally Posted by erdoc48
You say you have to put your wife throught school, so I would assume that you don't want any more debt at this time. If your TL is running normally, then why not spend just a little $$$ to make sure all systems are running normally (also, timing belt change and the like) instead of buying another car? This way, you can save by not getting into another car payment (or even outright purchase). You're young, so you will be able to buy whatever you can afford in the future if you and/or your wife have professional degrees. My advice is to keep what you have since you know how it runs (the only exception to this is if the car you have is 'nickel and dimeing' you because different things are breaking down.
I agree 100% I enjoy my paid off ride but if it dies I gotta buy something. I guess that's my whole point. I'd like to stay with Honda, I just don't want another Civic. I had two in high school and I don't want another dog. I realize that the RSX is just a dressed up/souped up Civic. It's reasuring that Go90 got over 200,000 (miles, not K's right??)
Old 03-27-2008, 11:22 PM
大日本帝国

^ Haha, yeah, it's in miles. I can't stand to have my speedo only go to 180KM/H anyhow, haha.

~Cheers~
Old 03-28-2008, 11:26 AM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Originally Posted by Go90go
Mileage update, I'm just under 248K now, . Plus with the hard driving and track days I do, you should take on another 50K in wear and tear, haha.

~Cheers~
250,000 miles? That's unreal! What kind of substantial problems have you had with your car? All I've had to do so far is:
starter rebuilt
master cylinder replace
radiator
heater core replace
blower fan replace (the last 2 were all done at the shop and it cost nearly $2,000)

Do you have any maintenance recommendations to keep your car going that long? I run Mobile 1 (fully synthetic) and change every 4,000 miles and I drain/flush my tranny ever 15,000.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Mech Engineer

Tranny flush is actually not such a good idea so often, may cause you more problems, a fluid change is a better idea.

I have 220,000 mi, bought the car with 70k 5 years ago. Regular maintenance from dealer up to 120,000K then stopped bringing it, finacial reasons.

oil, air filter, trans fluid replace....

I have been contemplating a new car, for fun mostly. I am buying a house soon so it really is simply a thought.

But my most recent idea is buying a USED Mini Cooper S or John Cooper Edition.

excellent gas milage mid 30's, average-good acceleration 0-60 mid 6's, excellent handling(when not pushed to the extreme), can purchase a low milage(<50K) 03-04' for around 15,000.

there is actually a 02' john cooper edition in the town over for $14,000, 80k mi is a too high though.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:59 PM
大日本帝国

Originally Posted by SurfingScotty
250,000 miles? That's unreal! What kind of substantial problems have you had with your car? All I've had to do so far is:
starter rebuilt
master cylinder replace
radiator
heater core replace
blower fan replace (the last 2 were all done at the shop and it cost nearly $2,000)

Do you have any maintenance recommendations to keep your car going that long? I run Mobile 1 (fully synthetic) and change every 4,000 miles and I drain/flush my tranny ever 15,000.
Don't flush! Only do a drain and fill but pump new fluid in until the fluid coming out is nice and cherry red. I've only had to do the master cylinder which was slightly messed up when I got the car, and of course, a new engine, . That was the fault of the previous owner, running low octane gas and not getting regular oil changes. My heater core is the original one, shocks: original (although one has now blown), axles: original, etc. I've got to do my front wheel bearings now but that's due to unbalanced wheels (weights fell off thanks to potholes).

For $2000, I would've swapped motors for you, haha! Add a little more and I would've done the heater core, . I'm running Castrol GTX ATM, because I don't have the funds to run GReddy GR-2 anymore. At $10+/quart, a regular oil change done at home costs $60... Even eBay sells a quart for almost $20. BTW, now only Mobil 1 High Mileage is truly full synthetic, because the regular Mobil 1 switched to a cheaper base,.

Oh, I had to replace the starter, too because when my car was stolen, the keyswitch was damaged causing it to get stuck starting the car. You can't imagine the smell and smoke coming from the engine bay while sitting in your office parking lot and having people stare, haha. It kept going while driving once, too. Only way to dislodge it was to be in gear to 6K RPM...

Aside from those, one thing I recommend everyone to do is to drive spiritedly once in awhile. It's good to stretch her legs a bit and surprise the Integra next to you.

~Cheers~
Old 03-29-2008, 10:33 AM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Duh, I don't know why I said "drain/flush". I meant to say is drain/refill. I used to have a buddy who was the lead mechanic for an Acura dealer back home and he would swear up and down that a power flush is horrendous on the tranny. I told my little brother this when he said he was gonna get one done on his 1st gen Legend. He didn't listen. less than 1,000 miles later....his tranny stopped shifting. So yeah...sorry about that type-o.

I noticed that the Mobil 1 was cheaper than usual when I bought some last week to change the oil in my wife's Wrangler. Thanks for the input, Go90! So I could do an engine swap for only $2,000? That's crazy! Good to know, but based on the life of your TL, I don't think I need to worry about it.

I replaced the radiator and the mechanic said that it would be a really good idea to do the heater core because it all circulates the same fluid (duh) and that the heater core would probably be in the same condition as the radiator itself. I was a little skeptical but I figure $300 for the part now or $300 for the part later plus another $1000 for labor.

Wow, I didn’t know that the Mini’s were that cheap…or that quick! 0-60 in 7 seconds or less? I once had a buddy time my TL’s 0-60 and I think it was like 10 seconds! Hehehe.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:15 PM
Instructor

my car is going to be at 98,000 miles the next time i drive it and i always said that when i go off to college i want a new car. But i was looking at my car last night and today and i said this is a really nice car and it was given to me for a reason and theres no way when i go off to college my parents get me a new one lol, this car is gonna end up going with me to college miles away lol. i guess im scared of seeing my ppls car get neglected and very old in my hands. but now i dont think it will. im just gonna add things to it to embellish it and take good care of it, its still in great condition. so in other words like everyone is saying your debt free, go ahead and keep driving it to see how far it goes. prolly when the car's time is up theres gonna be one on a lot thats better than rsx uve seen waiting for you. Its all about timing lol :wink: i learned that in church today lol.

Oh yea if u decide to get rid of your car, can i have your rims please.. lol