Manufacturing new body kits

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003 | 01:37 PM
First Gen 3.2 TL

Manufacturing new body kits

hi everyone..

We here at Inspired Motorsports are debuting our very own lip kit for the '96-'98 TL at Import Xtreme Showdown car show on Sat. March 8th at the Los Angeles Convetion Center. We are working on my car at the moment, but we hope the car will be ready later tonight. Just to let our fellow first gen owners know that the kit is a prototype, which means the kit is in fiberglass. If we get enough pre-orders and good reviews, we will be manufacturing this kit in polyurethane. I would like to show you guys some of the prototype pictures, but we decided to keep everything hush hush. Come check out our booth at the show. Sometime after the show we will post pictures of our new design on our website. Let me know what you guys think.

www.InspiredMotorsports.com
www.ImportXS.com

Link to our pictures www.InspiredMotorsports.com/ua.htm

I would like for everyone to know that the pictures you have seen is a PROTOTYPE. If the kit was painted the same color as my car, i think most of you guys would see it differently. Another thing is, my car is not suitable to be driven on the streets. The design of the body kit is to go with cars that are stock height or slighty lowered with Eibach springs. My car was in our booth at the car show.

Update... i added 2 more photos of the front..hopefully you guys get a better look at our design
Old 03-06-2003 | 02:34 PM
Racer

As I mentioned on the other forum - post back here when you put up pics... We're listening!

Craig
Old 03-06-2003 | 07:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

good stuff, remember keep it classy!! us TL ownders don't want extravegant looking lips and asses! but definately great to hear that you guys are stepping into the market. can't wait to see the pics.
Old 03-06-2003 | 09:37 PM
Safety Car

since he said its a lip, im guessing it wont look too exotic.. hope its still classy looking. good looking out bro
Old 03-08-2003 | 02:24 PM
Attorney- Will Sue 4 Food

for the love of god!!!! please give us some pics PLEASE WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR SO LONG.

Is this stuff gonna be reasonably priced, I mean I will buy body stuff for TL all day long, I think I speak for everyone when I say we want stuff for our car, and are tired of the limited stuff out there being jacked up, only because there aint much out there
Old 03-11-2003 | 05:29 AM
First Gen 3.2 TL

Originally posted by oulaw29
for the love of god!!!! please give us some pics PLEASE WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR SO LONG.

Is this stuff gonna be reasonably priced, I mean I will buy body stuff for TL all day long, I think I speak for everyone when I say we want stuff for our car, and are tired of the limited stuff out there being jacked up, only because there aint much out there
Hi.. I just hope you and the rest of our fellow first gen TL owners know that the cost of polyurethane is much higher than if it was made in fiberglass.

I'm in the same situation as most of you guys here. Hopefully you guys understand that I'm trying to provide everyone here with an alternative. There are a couple of reasons why the prices of the other companies are rediculous. First of all, there isn't a high enough demand for parts for our cars. It isn't cost effective for companies to do the R&D when we all know that not too many of our cars were sold within '96-'98 model year. Another reason for the high prices is because the manufacturers is located in Japan. Cost of production and means of getting to the States all contribute to the high prices.
Old 03-11-2003 | 05:34 AM
First Gen 3.2 TL

Links to photos of our prototype

www.InspiredMotorsports.com/ua.htm

We would appreciate all your comments. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2003 | 08:36 AM
Instructor

I really like it
I'm not so sure about the one in the back but I like the sideskirts and the front one
how much it will be ?
Old 03-11-2003 | 09:00 AM
tre
Racer

is the back bumper just a peice that goes on or is it the whole bumper ? i may buy one b/c my bumper is gone and I am about to get a new one
also how much money are we talking about?
thanks
Old 03-11-2003 | 02:38 PM
giggity giggity giggity

Personally, I dont think they're THAT bad. If all the peices looked like they were molded into the bumpers, then I dont think it would look too bad...but to me, it looks as if they are taped on with masking tape? BTW, I like the black grill insert on the lower portion of the bumper. Where'd you get that or did you make it?
Old 03-11-2003 | 03:18 PM
giggity giggity giggity

I just did some quick photoshop jobs on the front and back. I can't post pics so if anyone is interested, just e-mail or pm me.
Old 03-11-2003 | 03:27 PM
Racer

ok, im gonna add my 0.02 here. please take it as constructive criticism and possibly use it towards a different kit if you guys should decide to do another one.
i personally dont like it due to that... the front lip seems to be "empty" in the center and it doesnt flow into the front bumper. Like how one of jdm kits [forgot which one] attaches right under the bumper lights. The side skirts should be more proportioned. i dont know if its just me, but the beginning seems to be smaller than the back and i dont like the design thats molded in the rear of the side skirt. And for the rear lip, it looks like it goes half way up the bumper. maybe 1-2 inches would be perfect. And again, i dont like the design thats integrated into it and it doesnt flow smoothly into the bumper where it ends.
I like how the type-s under body spoiler looks. very simple yet effective.
I know i shouldn't be talking cuz i cant do better myself but i stress this again, please only use this as constructive criticism.

btw, do you guys manufacture eye lids? if not, you guys should. you can use the one on the car as a mold. i would probably buy thoes if its reasonable.
Old 03-11-2003 | 04:57 PM
First Gen 3.2 TL

Originally posted by tre
is the back bumper just a peice that goes on or is it the whole bumper ? i may buy one b/c my bumper is gone and I am about to get a new one
also how much money are we talking about?
thanks
Hi. The rear bumper kit is just an add-on. With the high cost of polyurethane, we have decided to prototype this particular kit in add-on form only. thanks
Old 03-11-2003 | 05:09 PM
First Gen 3.2 TL

Originally posted by HQuakers
Personally, I dont think they're THAT bad. If all the peices looked like they were molded into the bumpers, then I dont think it would look too bad...but to me, it looks as if they are taped on with masking tape? BTW, I like the black grill insert on the lower portion of the bumper. Where'd you get that or did you make it?
Lip kits are usually double-sided taped. The corners are then screwed into the factory bumpers.

The lower grille is just a mesh grille that you can buy from a hardware store.
Old 03-11-2003 | 05:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

eh not my cup of tea. but if you've got eye lids i'd get those
Old 03-11-2003 | 05:39 PM
First Gen 3.2 TL

Originally posted by J-SpecTL
ok, im gonna add my 0.02 here. please take it as constructive criticism and possibly use it towards a different kit if you guys should decide to do another one.
i personally dont like it due to that... the front lip seems to be "empty" in the center and it doesnt flow into the front bumper. Like how one of jdm kits [forgot which one] attaches right under the bumper lights. The side skirts should be more proportioned. i dont know if its just me, but the beginning seems to be smaller than the back and i dont like the design thats molded in the rear of the side skirt. And for the rear lip, it looks like it goes half way up the bumper. maybe 1-2 inches would be perfect. And again, i dont like the design thats integrated into it and it doesnt flow smoothly into the bumper where it ends.
I know i shouldn't be talking cuz i cant do better myself but i stress this again, please only use this as constructive criticism.

btw, do you guys manufacture eye lids? if not, you guys should. you can use the one on the car as a mold. i would probably buy thoes if its reasonable.
I don't know if you guys ever noticed the 2.5 and 3.2 tl is a different bumper design. For me, I have the 3.2 as a protoype. I hope you guys understand that other companies just use one mold to produce the kit for both cars. For me, i would like to be able to prove two different front kits to go with the specific car. As to the jdm lip, it is http://www.value-sports.co.jp/aero/s...saber_ua2.html
And for the rear, you guys have to understand that the factory bumper cuts up high. For the Skipper rear, how do you think that kit is installed on the rear?. http://www.skipper.co.jp We are using the same techniques as they are. I can't stress this enough, WE ARE NOT A REPLICA company. We design our kits in our facilities. And again, I'm here trying to provide a NEW kit as an alternative to the 3 others kits and 1 front lip only kit out there in the market.
Old 03-11-2003 | 05:43 PM
First Gen 3.2 TL

For the eylids, i will produce them in the future. No time scheduled for that yet. We have a few projects to finish up so it might be a while.
Old 03-11-2003 | 10:40 PM
Safety Car

TLxRaCeR: i can see you're on the right track dude... a little adjustment here and there and i think you'd be able to design us a kit that we'd all enjoy! give me your email and i'll send you all the kit thats made for our car...maybe you can come up with something combining all the pics ill send you!!
Old 03-11-2003 | 10:48 PM

I give you props for trying to get this out there, especially for the side skirts. But if you want to bank, get us the side skirts, a front lip and a badass spoiler, and a rear with an option for dual exhaust, and I will buy. If you make a spoiler alone for this car that looks good and can sell it for around $200-250, you could bank on that alone.
Old 03-12-2003 | 12:44 AM
First Gen 3.2 TL

Thanks for the replies so far. We are here to gather information and make the neccessary changes for the future kit. Please keep in mind that all comments are very important to us. thanks
Old 03-12-2003 | 12:50 AM
First Gen 3.2 TL

Originally posted by oulaw29
I give you props for trying to get this out there, especially for the side skirts. But if you want to bank, get us the side skirts, a front lip and a badass spoiler, and a rear with an option for dual exhaust, and I will buy. If you make a spoiler alone for this car that looks good and can sell it for around $200-250, you could bank on that alone.
Thanks for you comments. Inspired Motorsports is currently busy with a few different car projects at the moment. We already have plans to manufacture 2 rear pieces if this kit ever gets into production. Just like you said, one with a single exhuast outlet and an optional dual exhaust outlet.
Old 03-12-2003 | 01:25 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by J-SpecTL

I agree with j-spec, but this is just my opinion. Everbody likes different things.....but i give you much appreciation for going out and making a new kit for our cars...it just isn't my taste. peAce
Old 03-13-2003 | 08:03 PM
Han
Instructor

I like the rear and the back lip
Old 03-15-2003 | 02:04 AM
First Gen 3.2 TL

Thanks for all the replies. We will start soon on "phase 2" of this project. Hopefully our second try will be more successful =]
Old 03-20-2003 | 05:44 AM
First Gen 3.2 TL

The prototype Phase II has started. Here are some of the photos of the front that is under construction. Note that this is still not a completed prototype. I just wanted you guys to see a preview. =]

P.S. We decided to rid the air vents on the front, so that the front doesn't look too aggressive.

Let me know if this front lip look much better. Thanks.

www.Inspiredmotorsports.com/ua2.htm
Old 03-20-2003 | 02:23 PM
Advanced

hey tlxracer....the phase 2 of the project looks better than the phase 1...i think it looks alot better...i was also wondering where your company is located and also how much it would cost for the front lip...thanx
Old 03-20-2003 | 03:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

yah the phase II is definately an improvement. if the price isn't too bad i might actually get one =P
Old 03-20-2003 | 05:37 PM
Intermediate

Looks nice. How much will it cost?
Old 03-20-2003 | 06:03 PM
Advanced

yea phase 2 does look a lot better
how much do u think itll go for cuz i wanna get one for my tl
Old 03-20-2003 | 07:29 PM
Intermediate

I am divided, I definitely like the new front look, gives you the option of painting the green part another color of your choice.
the rear I am not in favor of. I don't like the idea of an add on rear, I would much rather have a full bumper in the rear . It seems to interrupt the flow of the curve design in to the car.

TLX
Is there a chance of designing a full rear lip as a second option to buy aside from the add on?

Old 03-20-2003 | 11:44 PM

Front lip looks great, I want to buy one as long as we are not getting raped ie value-tl prices. But hey you gotta make some $$. See if you can get people to pre-buy by good price --> profit by numbers. Side skirts are good to, but I have to agree on needing a full rear bumper.

But for the love of god give us a badassss spoiler and you will bank. I will buy a lip type spoiler right now--pre-pay if it looks like the one on the 2nd gen tlz and reaosnable priced (not a $400 raping). Again the body kit looks like it is on track, but PLEASE GIVE US A PIMP LIP SPOILER.

Old 03-21-2003 | 12:24 AM
Intermediate

Cool

actually now that I think about it a lip spoiler, with a full rear bumper and the current side skirts and current front lip would make a very nice package.

for the lip, I would definitely go with the value tl lip, (click on link below) but not for the 550.00 rape price www.value-caraudio.com charges, (not including shipping)

TLX make some moves soon.. some of us (like me) have the cash $$ ready.. we need to order!! help us out ..

http://www.value-sports.co.jp/aero/s...saber_ua3.html

Old 03-21-2003 | 12:26 AM
Intermediate

in case your confused from the last post, the lip i am referring TLX to consider in design decisions is for the rear wing, not the front bumper lip..
Old 03-21-2003 | 02:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

im just curious if your going to mold in the pieces to the bumper. i dont know if thats the right term for it. what im trying to say is are you going to blend in the pieces so it looks like its a whole new bumper or are you going to leave it like that?

it just doesnt flow to great if they are not blended in. i wish i knew the right terminology. anyways someone help me out here.

and if your not getting what im saying, just tell me, i will try to explain it again
Old 03-21-2003 | 05:00 PM
Safety Car

i think you mean mold the green piece onto the aftermarket lip so it looks 1 whole lip piece instead of a seperate piece
Old 03-22-2003 | 07:33 AM
First Gen 3.2 TL

Wassup everyone. Sorry for not being able to answer everyones' question directly. We are quite busy at the moment trying to get our new kit in production for the Acura RSX. I would like to give you guys an exact price, but since the UA123 kit is still in prototype form, I am not able to give exact numbers. Once we have the prototype (plug) approved for production, I will be able to provide group discounts. I hope everyone understands we are a polyurethane manufacturer and not in the fiberglass industry. Our suggested retail price should be between $1200-$1400 for a 4 peice kit, but maybe we can work something out for a group buy in the future. I am trying to cut some costs on the kit. Hopefully less than $1000.
Old 03-22-2003 | 07:34 AM
First Gen 3.2 TL

ATT: Planetreach

Sorry, but we are not able to make a full rear bumper replacement because it would cost much for for us to produce it. If we did, prices would most likely range from $1800-$2200. Note, the price would be for a full replacement bumper for the rear and also the front as well. If you look at other companies, they offer a full lip kit, or just a full bumper replacement kit. The reason why other companies don't replace bumpers just comes down to cost of production minus sales quantity and profit magrin. For us, we don't see a huge market for the first gen. TLs. We believe that a full replacement kit for around $2000 is outragous. I personally wouldn't pay that much for any bodykit. If there were more people willing to pay that much, we would, but the fact that there weren't many first gen. TLs sold comes into consideration. As we all know, the 99-01 and the 02-03 TLs has sold quite well. For us as a company, we feel more confident with a full bumper replacement for the second and third gen TLs because there is a much bigger market for them.
Old 03-22-2003 | 07:38 AM
First Gen 3.2 TL

On the replies for the wing idea....

We are currently busy with other projects at this time. I can't give an E.T.A for the prototype wing, but we are considering a wing similar to the the Value Sport wing but different. I'll keep everyone informed. =]
Old 03-22-2003 | 07:50 AM
First Gen 3.2 TL

Originally posted by Madgreek
im just curious if your going to mold in the pieces to the bumper. i dont know if thats the right term for it. what im trying to say is are you going to blend in the pieces so it looks like its a whole new bumper or are you going to leave it like that?

it just doesnt flow to great if they are not blended in. i wish i knew the right terminology. anyways someone help me out here.

and if your not getting what im saying, just tell me, i will try to explain it again
Hi.. are asking about the green foam/molding compound or are you talking about the kit itself? I'll try to explain somewhat.

The "green stuff" in the phase II pictures will be part of the front lip, but with less noticeable lines. The front is still not done for phase II.

If you are asking if the kit is going to be molded with the stock bumpers, all I can say is "It's the customers choice." We can't mold the lip kit onto any customers cars. All we do is manufacure them. When a customer decides to mold the kit on, the person can have a local bodyshop mold it in. For me personally, I plan to mold the kit onto my stock bumper. Just to let you guys know, when bodyshops mold kits to the car, there is a good chance of it cracking. Our kit will be in polyuerthane, which is very flexable. Body filler, also know and bondo, will crack eventually. So beware of molding anything on your car. =]

Hopfully this has shed some light to you questions. Let me know if you would like more info. =]
Old 03-24-2003 | 02:58 AM
Pro

NICE

I had not been here for at least a couple of months and I truelly like what you guys are doing. I would definately like to have the front lip for my car. This will definately let our cars stand out a bit more. It woulda been nice to have gotten it sooner, since I have my car in the shop and getting my two bumpers painted.. but oh well....

ELA.TL

Quick Reply: Manufacturing new body kits