Lots of probs - but main 1 is oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 09:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of probs - but main 1 is oil leak

1) doors repeatedly lock while in the driveway.

2) pass. door handle is sprung out

3) sqeeky windows (when wet)

4) runs hot all of the sudden (even on the coldest days and running at 80). Added water to the resevoir and problem ceased until today.

BIGGEST PROBLEM

5) Found a substantial amount of oil in the garage floor. This happened last year when the high was 18 degrees and dealer said can't find a leak. There was a lot of oil (diameter as long as my arm). THey changed the oil and no more problem, until it got cold this year. Found another PUDDLE of oil in floor. I am thinking that the filter seal is not selaing in the cold when the car is first started. I fear I am going to drop oil to quickly for me to refill it one time and WHAMMY! I use FRAM, thinking of switching to HONDA filter and having oil changed. I am sure we will have plenty of cold days to come. Could OIL and TEMP problem be realted .... HEAD GASKET MAYBE?

PLEASE HELP, I have 135K and I love this car, but not willing to own a troublesome car. No time for worries!
Old 12-29-2003, 09:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1) ignore it.. its a normal thing and its not just your car that does it. mine does the same as well as...i think most other 1st gen'ers

2) mine also sprung a year or 2 ago. my little brother fixed it but its not like before anymore. it springs back in place ..just not as strong as it should be. ill ask my brother how he fixed it and where he got the spring.

3) squeeky windows is also normal for the 1st gen. i bet it also rolls up/down slowly too huh? guess what? that is also normal lol

4) have you ever changed your belts? or gotten a tune up?

as for your oil leak, i dont think its the oil filter b/c those have the rubber around the rim which should seal it tightly. im thinking the washer around the bolt that you take off to release the oil is messed up. or the threads for that bolt is messed up due to uneven bolt-on
Old 12-30-2003, 12:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
its the washer
i had the same problem.. then at my next oil change got the washer changed and voila.. no oil leaks
Old 12-30-2003, 03:12 AM
Intermediate

I always put a new washer on at every oil change (thewy only cost pennies a piece at the dealer). But the last time an oil change did fix the problem. I am just curious why on occassion it dumps a massive amount of oil at one shot.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:24 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so your saying sometimes it spills oil and sometimes it doesnt? if so, the only thing i can think of is that the person who screwed on the oil bolt did not screw it on correctly. it is easy to screw it in unevenly so that may be the problem.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:49 AM
Cruisin'

Man I just sold my 96 TL a few weeks ago. Hunk of crap had too many problems to deal with. The re-locking thing, slow-ass power windows, burning 3 quarts of oil between changes, leaking p. steering fluid, leaking radiator and the list goes on. I got the car with 80K miles & sold it with 100K. I'm sadly disappointed that this car did not stand up to the level of quality I've come to expect from a Honda product. My advice - sell it. Get out while you can. It will only continue to give you problems.