I have a problem....

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 09:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I have a problem....

Can you guys give me some input on why this is happening...

When I start my car and open the AC, I begin hearing a squeaking noise. The mechanic said it was some type of belt that is loose.

Today, when I parked my car in the drive way, I got out and heard the noise. I popped open the hood and its part of the engine. It has a belt on it, but I'm not sure what that is. It only squeaks when the AC is on. When I turn it off, its gone.

Tell me whats the issue please....!!!
Old 07-21-2005, 10:43 PM
Banned

could be your timing belt. Could be several things. Did you take it to a mechanic?
Old 07-22-2005, 01:04 AM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

2.5... two things might be wrong... Starting from the least expensive...

1. Your belts might be loose...

There are three belts that we have... One runs from the main pulley to the idler to the AC thing... Another one runs from the Alternator to the main pulley... and the other one runs from somewhere to somewhere else

Anyways... supposing the worst...

2. You're idler... Little small pulley thing might be wearing out... Mine froze, burned up the belt that goes from the main pulley to the AC to the idler... If you are driving and you hear a loud screeching noise... don't be alarmed or scared... your car will still be able to run... I ran mine for a week before i got the bearings for my little pulley ($25 btw) and installed it on the weekend...

Here's a picture of the sucker... pardon the dust... need to do some more toothbrushing...

The arrow is pointing to the loose belt that i mentioned... check to see if its tight... if it is... most likely might be the idler... you can get the bearings at any "Autozone/Checkers/Kragen/Autoparts store" near you...

Yes... i know... i need to clean my intake etc... etc... I do it everytime i wash the car... just that where i work... big-rigs throw up a lot of dust... i think it gets through the underside of the car... I also have to drive through dirt so that sucks too... but it puts food on the table...