HID kit recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 10:30 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
HID kit recommendations?

Seen a couple guys on here who put HIDs into their cars. I'm looking to do the same, but trying not to spend a fortune on it. At the same time, I don't want to spend $60 and end up with a crappy kit that wasn't even worth buying.

All I need is the low beam, 6000k.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-25-2009, 11:44 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 99 Likes on 91 Posts
Go to DDM tuning. There site o wow surprising is ddmtuning.com. They have kits for cheap and a ton of people on this site use their bulbs.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:12 AM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
S2k

The first rule about HID retros is: you do not buy HID plug 'n play kits. The second rule about HID retros is, YOU DO NOT BUY HID PLUG 'N PLAY KITS! LOL!

Seriously, though...do not buy a kit. They are cheap for a reason. Also, if you are planning on doing a "conversion" kit, you can't just put a HID capsule into a non-HID headlight that is designed for a halogen bulb. Your beam pattern will be worse than it was with a halogen bulb, and it will also blind the crap out of everyone else on the road. So you'll see less, and piss everyone off; not to mention you'll get "brighted" every time you drive at night. Lastly, Drop in HID "plug in play" kits are illegal in the US, and with good reason.

Trust me, if you're going to do a HID retro, do it right the 1st time. The right way is to either put a HID designed reflector in your headlight (like out of the 2nd gen TL's) or mount a HID projector in your halogen reflector (recommended). The HID projectors will give you the crisp cutoff, super wide beam pattern, and the purple-ish color that luxury cars are known for.

You have lots of choices In regard to projectors. What ever you do, stick with OME equipment, I.E. ballasts, projectors, bulbs. The S2000's are the absolute best on the market. They have the brightest, widest, and sharpest beam patterns.

As for the bulbs. 4100K-4300K are the brightest with the most color. They also happen to be OME in all the car manufacturers. The higher the Kelvin temp, the more color, but the less actual output you'll get.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:23 AM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 99 Likes on 91 Posts
Off of what Scotty said.

If you do get the HID kits then you need to put in a Casper shield which is used to reduce glare for oncoming traffic and help kit you more light on the road.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:34 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so...those $50 kits are useless and doesn't really produce good lighting? I've been looking at a few HID setups and the price ranges from $150-300-ish...Are those good? Because I've read that the kit comes with ballast, bulbs with socket and bi-xenon(high/low) abilities...plus, they are not made in China.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:03 AM

Casper shield being this?

http://www.casperselectronics.com/st...roducts_id=693

Old 07-26-2009, 02:18 AM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
PM go90go. I actually got my HID kit in a group buy here on AcuraZine for $60. It is good for the price you pay. But I changed my bulbs with d2s or something like that, bought them from Art(go90go).

I'd say PM go90go, he'll get you somewhere. If you getting from Art you will need casper shields.

Here is where I bought mine..

https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/hid-special-%2460-shipped-acurazine-members-723872/
Old 07-26-2009, 03:08 AM

Bought one of the kits off DDM prior to Scotty's post. I'll wait until I install them to see if I need caster shields or not, although everything I'm reading tells me I will.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:09 AM
2007 6SMT Type-S

I bought one for my bike for $100.00 and it was garbage. Right out of the box, the "BiXenon" application didn't even work. Customer service is nonexistent, and the output sucked. I spent 6 hours making a custom bezel to house a S2K projector, and several more hours making the whole thing work. but you know what...it was worth it. Go to HIDPlanet.com and educate yourself thoroughly. The money you pay up front will be well worth it in the end, especially when you consider the time and extra money you spend fixing and refixing your kit.

Everytime I turn my car's HID Projectors on, I get a gitty little rush when I see that crisp cutoff. It's even cooler when you see street signs flickering that purple-ish blue color nearly a mile down the road.

Save up, and spend the money. You can get a S2K set up for about $500 (bulbs, ballast, projectors). I have some you can buy if you are interested.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:00 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SurfingScotty
The first rule about HID retros is: you do not buy HID plug 'n play kits. The second rule about HID retros is, YOU DO NOT BUY HID PLUG 'N PLAY KITS! LOL!

Seriously, though...do not buy a kit. They are cheap for a reason. Also, if you are planning on doing a "conversion" kit, you can't just put a HID capsule into a non-HID headlight that is designed for a halogen bulb. Your beam pattern will be worse than it was with a halogen bulb, and it will also blind the crap out of everyone else on the road. So you'll see less, and piss everyone off; not to mention you'll get "brighted" every time you drive at night. Lastly, Drop in HID "plug in play" kits are illegal in the US, and with good reason.

Trust me, if you're going to do a HID retro, do it right the 1st time. The right way is to either put a HID designed reflector in your headlight (like out of the 2nd gen TL's) or mount a HID projector in your halogen reflector (recommended). The HID projectors will give you the crisp cutoff, super wide beam pattern, and the purple-ish color that luxury cars are known for.

You have lots of choices In regard to projectors. What ever you do, stick with OME equipment, I.E. ballasts, projectors, bulbs. The S2000's are the absolute best on the market. They have the brightest, widest, and sharpest beam patterns.

As for the bulbs. 4100K-4300K are the brightest with the most color. They also happen to be OME in all the car manufacturers. The higher the Kelvin temp, the more color, but the less actual output you'll get.

Hope this helps.
^^^listen to this guy, he speaks the truth

i ran a conversion (xenon depot, all oem bits) for a few years. it was cool at first but oncoming cars would high beam me occasionally and the spread wasn't all that great, even with caspers shields (the plus side however was slow people always got out of my way when driving at night). you just can't beat the crisp cutoff from projectors plus they just look great, even when off.

p.s. s2k projectors are the best (or they were when i did my retrofit, there may be some better lenses now) but they are $$$ and difficult to retrofit. get TSX projectors, almost as good, cheaper, and much easier/cleaner to custom retrofit. learn on hidforums. good luck
Old 07-27-2009, 08:49 AM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Originally Posted by undyroos
^^^listen to this guy, he speaks the truth

i ran a conversion (xenon depot, all oem bits) for a few years. it was cool at first but oncoming cars would high beam me occasionally and the spread wasn't all that great, even with caspers shields (the plus side however was slow people always got out of my way when driving at night). you just can't beat the crisp cutoff from projectors plus they just look great, even when off.

p.s. s2k projectors are the best (or they were when i did my retrofit, there may be some better lenses now) but they are $$$ and difficult to retrofit. get TSX projectors, almost as good, cheaper, and much easier/cleaner to custom retrofit. learn on hidforums. good luck
I put an S2K on my bike and it's almost TOO bright...almost, hehehe.