Help! My stereo is messed up

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2001 | 12:14 AM
Intermediate

Help! My stereo is messed up

Hello...I've taken my car to every stereo shop I know in my area but they just keep telling me I need an amp

About 3 months ago, I had new component set with tweeters in the factory dash locations and rear speakers installed and they were hooked up to the factory unit. But just recently, I bought a double-din JVC head unit and replaced the old system.

I turned on my new stereo...and sh*t, the front speakers sounded TERRIBLE I was really disappointed but I started trying to get the most out of the new unit by tweaking the settings. Then, I noticed that even when with the fader set in the middle, my REAR speakers were way louder than the front speakers. When I set it at about 70% front and 30% rear, the loudness of the front and rear speakers seemed just about right. This is how I've kept it so far. But when I move the fader to all the way to the front, those speakers sound really bad. I swear they sounded a whole lot better with the factory unit. I mean, the bass isn't crisp anymore and the highs aren't as clear as they used to be.

How can I solve this problem? Do I simply need to add an amp to give the front speakers more power like those guys at stereo shops tell me? Something tells me there's more to it Please help...
Old 08-20-2001 | 07:43 PM
Pro

im no stereo guy so i would listen to what they say. but the little i do know would point to gettin an amp
Old 08-21-2001 | 08:39 AM
Instructor

What type and brand of speakers are you running? Sounds like you are running separates in the front.

Good speakers, esp. seperates, need more power to sound good. They are meant to be paired with an amp.

Don't be fooled by your receivers stated power. While receivers have come a long way from five-years ago, they are not 45x4 or whatever they claim. Maybe at maximum distortion.

I would recommend you buy an amp and watch your speakers come to life. Or sell the good stuff and buy some consumer level speakers, with a higher sensitivity.

Hope it helps,
--Teflon
Old 08-21-2001 | 09:57 AM
Intermediate

Thanks guys. I guess I'll just start saving up for an amp

Teflon: What type and brand of speakers are you running? Sounds like you are running separates in the front
I have entry model blaupunkt component set in the front and 3 way 6x9s in the rear that my friend sold to me really cheap. I thought they'd sound at least better than the 5 year old factory paper cones. BTW their sensitivity is both rated at 93db. Is it still normal to get inbalanced sound output from the F and R speakers?

In the next couple months, I'm planning to add an amp and a sub possibly and also replace all speakers with better stuff.

What kind of set up do you guys recommend? I can't afford any expensive audiophile equipment that costs $$$$$$. I just want something that'll give me alot of bang for the money.

What component speakers do you recommend?

6x9s?

Amp?

Sub?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-21-2001 | 03:31 PM
Burning Brakes

best bang for the buck for equipment?
many ppl would say this or that, and i guess it all comes down to preference, but then these are my suggestions for you:

Subs: definitely Alpine 12 inch Type R's
they sell for about $250-$270 canadian so that would mean about.. umm.. what? $175 US give or take...
they pound the hell out of lots of thins... they're no stroker, but with a huge magnet and voice coil like that, you'd be extremely impressed

Amps: i'd go with Zapco... there are tons of other cheaper stuff out there but for bang for the buck, my opinion is to go with these babies... i almost replaced my whole kicker setup for these... they rock

6x9: there's just too many good choices for this stuff, and they cost all around the same price for the good stuff...
infinity's are ok, polks are good, alpine are good too, sony's are so so
but then these are all just opinions.. go listen to them yourself.. after looking around for a while you can tell what sounds good and what doesn't