Front Defroster

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 06:16 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 99 Likes on 91 Posts
Front Defroster

Now that it is starting to get cold in New England it is time to use my defrosters in the morning on my way to school. I turned the front ones on the other day before I left for school and no air was coming out of the vents. I closed the vents to see if the air could be forced out but nothing happened. I was wondering if any of you have had this happen to you and if so what was wrong.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:42 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

I know that I'm bringing back my own thread, well anyway. I dropped off my car today before school at this place that does an excellent job with anything that is electrical. I dropped it off to see if he could get my front defrosters working again because even though I try everything to get them to work closing the head vents and everything the air just comes out at my feet. The guy said that he is completely stumped and has no idea what is wrong. Has anyone experienced anything like this before or have any ideas before I have to bring it to the stealership? Anything would help at this point.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:49 PM
Khmer Pride

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
it might be ur blower motor
Old 10-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Khmer Pride

try this self diagnosis d/l this pdf http://download.yousendit.com/15B87E173EBE8DF9
Old 10-10-2007, 07:21 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Sorry, didn't see this thread. Anyhow, it;s possible that the motor to the vent selector is out. That or the wiring to the motor worked itself loose. Other than that, I haven't encountered this problem before.

~Cheers~
Old 10-10-2007, 07:57 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Thanks for your help guys. For some reason I really think that it is the blower motor and I found this place today that has a huge sign that says WE FIX ACURAS so I'm going to call them tomorrow and see what they can do for me. I'll post something when I find out.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:59 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Alright guys so here is an update on my car. The guy at the place is probably going to charge me an arm and a leg or what needs to be done. He said that I need a timing belt, tranny fluid, other things, and the thing that pisses me off. he said that my license plate lights don't work...WTF! As all of you can see in my LED conversion that my license plate works. With everything that is wrong with it now, I'm contemplating on whether or not I should keep the car and go through with it all or just get something else. I have no idea what to do.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Khmer Pride

Originally Posted by Big Balla
Alright guys so here is an update on my car. The guy at the place is probably going to charge me an arm and a leg or what needs to be done. He said that I need a timing belt, tranny fluid, other things, and the thing that pisses me off. he said that my license plate lights don't work...WTF! As all of you can see in my LED conversion that my license plate works. With everything that is wrong with it now, I'm contemplating on whether or not I should keep the car and go through with it all or just get something else. I have no idea what to do.
crazy, you even tryed the self diagnosis?? first. before you even give the car to him..
Old 10-12-2007, 06:14 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Originally Posted by KrayzieDxC
crazy, you even tryed the self diagnosis?? first. before you even give the car to him..
Yeah I did and nothing came up. I tried it like 10 times and my dad tried it to and nothing came up.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:07 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keep the car, i am about to have timing belt, water pump replaced, and my tranny is leaking....but i will have this car till the end of time since it is finally paid off!
Old 10-13-2007, 07:54 AM
98 3.2 Flamenco Black

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
How did you end up with the crap of things to do and you were only complaining about the the defrost? Did you come in and say, check it out and tell me what's wrong? It is like here's my checkbook, go spend my money!

1st things first. Engine. 1. Leak, take care of leaks. 2. Noise, any noise? 3. Smoke, any smoke? Timing belt depending on mileage, if over 100K...maybe line it up. But when you do, you might as well do a bunch of things while it is torn apart.

Good luck. Save money. Prioritize. Keep the ACK!!!!
Old 10-13-2007, 07:58 AM
98 3.2 Flamenco Black

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Balla
I know that I'm bringing back my own thread, well anyway. I dropped off my car today before school at this place that does an excellent job with anything that is electrical. I dropped it off to see if he could get my front defrosters working again because even though I try everything to get them to work closing the head vents and everything the air just comes out at my feet. The guy said that he is completely stumped and has no idea what is wrong. Has anyone experienced anything like this before or have any ideas before I have to bring it to the stealership? Anything would help at this point.
If you have air blowing then blower motor os OK.

It will be the damper and/or switch...the one that controls, front, windshield, feet, etc.. There's a motorized damper that switches them based on setting. It is stuck on feet. It could be mechanical, too, where the damper is toast. Nevertheless, the dashboard has to be taken down to check. Should not cost you more than $400.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:48 AM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Mandy I believe that he said that there are two motors, one to the defrosters and one to the regular air.

He called and asked if he could hook a computer up to see what was wrong with it so because of that he might of received a bunch of things that said what was wrong. The bottom line I told him is that I want my front defrosters fixed. Once I get my defrosters fixed I can then save up to get the timing belt/water pump done. I'll def get everything done eventually because this car can last me so much longer if I get all this done. Everything will be done but it is going to take time, so that means that little things like my LED conversion will have to be put on hold until I get everything done.

The only reason that the car is such bad shape is because it sat in my aunt's driveway for a year without being driven or at least turned on. She never did anything to car at all and my uncle didn't even care about it because it wasn't his car. So basically I might of gotten a really nice car it is just that it needs a LOT of work. It was poorly maintained so now I have to get everything to be normal again.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:33 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

I got my car back today and all the guy did was little things, but he was talking to me about the defrosters and he said that it might be the climate control. If it is the climate control then if anyone knows anyone from RI with a first gen TL PM me as soon as you can. If it isn't the climate control then it something else. I saw the list that he made and this guy is trying to take the money out of my hand. Now I have to think of something else.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:09 PM
9th Gear

don't wana hijack this thread but its sorta related got this issue with my heat and A/C that only air comes out when i turn up the heat/AC all the way to the max otherwise i can't feel any heat or ac coming out of the vents only works when its cranked on max any solutions?
Old 10-17-2007, 10:41 PM
Khmer Pride

Originally Posted by flyinghighagain
don't wana hijack this thread but its sorta related got this issue with my heat and A/C that only air comes out when i turn up the heat/AC all the way to the max otherwise i can't feel any heat or ac coming out of the vents only works when its cranked on max any solutions?
if you search in the 1st gen forum u'll find a service manual

try this self diagnosis d/l this pdf http://download.yousendit.com/15B87E173EBE8DF9
Old 10-17-2007, 11:14 PM
9th Gear

[QUOTE=KrayzieDxC]if you search in the 1st gen forum u'll find a service manual

try this self diagnosis d/l this pdf http://download.yousend

it.com/15B87E173EBE8DF9
[/QUOTE

thanks for the help but it says that file has expired and no longer there i'll try searching elsewhere if that pdf is donezo
Old 10-27-2007, 07:41 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Update!!

I took my dash apart today and this it what I uncovered. I uncovered that it isn't the motor and it isn't the climate control. It is this little lever that makes the vents of the defrosters open and close. I figured out a way that i can use my defrosters and at the same time have the heat on. It took a while to figure it out, but the solution was that DO NOT TOUCH THE AUTO BUTTON!! Push the defroster button and then the button above it and that is it. Then I was happy that I got it working and I put everything back and i go to start my car and...IT IS DEAD!!! So my dad gave me a jump and I drove it to get coffees and it was working and running good but now my radio isn't saying the words that it use to and it isn't reading CDs or playing my iPod. I get home shut the car off and go inside, then I come back outside to see if it will start again and with my luck I get nothing. Tomorrow is suppose to be the first sunny day in a while so I can see if I can get the car back to normal, so wish me luck!