Escalating Problems with 97 TL

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005 | 11:55 AM
Banned

Escalating Problems with 97 TL

Hi guys, I have a 97 TL and for the most part, she's been an extremely dependant ride. However of late, problems with the car have been increasing. Before I dive into the issues to get some help from the seniors on this forum, I'd like to remind you that I livein a place so far in the sticks, the closestAcura dealership is 200 miles.

Anywho back to the issues. Earlier in October I had to get the Rotors changed which was nothing out of the ordinary. However a week later, my ABS light came on. So I called the local repair guy who I usually go to and he said the only issue with the ABS light coming on is that the ABS wont work but your regular brakes will. Seeing how winter / snow was still a while away, I continued to use the car thinking I'd get it done before the first snow.

Anyways, suddenly end of October, the car sort of started stalling when I'd come and halt at a red light i.e. as a complete halt, she'd not be able to stay on in idle. This happened a couple of times a week but nothing out of the ordinary. Thinking that the car was probably cold, I ignored it. But that wasn't it, as November neared to an end, it increased in frequency. So I went back to my repair guy and thought this would be a good time to even have the ABS light checked.

He kept the car for 2 days trying to isolate why the light was on. He did manage to figure why the car was going off. Saying some plates in the engine were dirty (because of age and the fact that I've been using the cheapest gas for as long as I've had the car) and she shouldn't turn off anymore now that he had cleaned them up. He also mentioned that I had my front left speed sensor on the ABS had died and so the light had come on. Moreover, there's something wrong with the caliper thats causing premature aging on my pads. Each problem would be $200 + labor to fix.

Not willing to spend $400 at a go, I told him to leave it for now and that I'd get it fixed later on. Paying him for the oil change and cleaning of the plates I headed for my car, turned on the key and the she wouldn't start. I tried for about 10 minutes in the parking lot of his repair shop and I just couldn't get it to start. So I went back and got him to look at it. He said she's out of gas and put in 2 gallons into the car. No go. So he said let me keep it, I'll drop it off later and let you know whats the issue. I was fine with it.

At 2 on Friday afternoon, I went back to work. He calls at 5 and tells me my fuel pumps gone and it's gonna cost me $500 to fix.

Its killing me to see so much go so wrong with her so soon. She has a 135,000 miles on her and I'm wondering if I should just get her fixed and run her longer or sell / trade her in for a new one ?

Do fuel pumps fail so easily ?

- K
Old 12-04-2005 | 01:41 PM
Drifting

Before installing a fuel pump, I would check for power (voltage) to the fuel pump. If no voltage to the fuel pump, the main fuel relay (MFR) is likely the fault. MFR failures are much more common than fuel pump failures, and a lot cheaper to replace.

good luck
Old 12-04-2005 | 07:29 PM
Burning Brakes

might want to also check and see if the EGR valve is dirty... that also stalls the engine at times... although if your CEL didnt come on then it probably isnt it...
Old 12-04-2005 | 07:32 PM
Advanced

I'd get a second opinion. A lot of problems and only one mechanic.
Old 12-04-2005 | 08:15 PM
Banned

that's what I was thinking too, unfortunately the car isnt even coming on and I'd probably end up spending just as much towing it elsewhere
Old 12-04-2005 | 10:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

sounds like the mechanic is "dodgy" or "shady" to say the least. Looks the car just needs some routine work, and this guy is A. screwing u over and/or B. has no idea how to deal with a Acura TL.

The ABS problem - do u hear a buzzing soundcoming from the passenger side when u start the car. If so, you might have a leaking modulator that will need to be replaced.

I'm not sure about the "plates" in the engine? Is he talking about clogged injectors? Either way, shame on u! for running regular in the TL. Stick to premium - you'll get better mileage and keept he engine cleaner.
Old 12-05-2005 | 11:02 PM
Racer

From reading your story,
I honestly don't trust your local mechanic a bit.
You maybe getting F**K up the Ass.
You should seek a reputable mechanic whose specialty is in Honda/Acuras.
Before you brought the car to the mechanic, didnt it atleast start?
Then when you went to pickup your car, it wouldn't start at all, and the mechanic states another problem. And what plate did he clean? It just sounds fishy.

The ABS light usually comes on when the speed sensor has been damaged or have been installed incorrectly. Usually,the sensor will need to be removed when changing the front rotors. I know this from experience. It cost me $250 to replace one of it.
Old 12-06-2005 | 08:54 PM
Banned

Just thought I'd post an update. So I finally got my car back today. I went to the repair guy to get my car. The guy comes out to prepare the invoice and say's that'll be $169. I was like HUH.... what happened to the $500.

So he turns around and says it wasn't the fuel pump after all... TexasHonda.... you were SPOT ON dude. He said the fuel pump was working fine, the Main Fuel Relay was busted. He changed that and it started.... I guess he wasn't pulling a fast one after all.

I'm so glad I've finally gotten my car. And it actually even seems like the car is picking up a little faster than before.

Thanks to everyone who took the time out to post in here.

Cheers

- K