Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drifting?

hi,
Anyone try drifting with their 2.5 TL?
If yes, can you tell us how you did i?t
Old 09-30-2005, 08:05 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
in my 3.2 on snowed out parking lot once for siht and giggles. but i dont see y u wanna do that to ur car..
Old 09-30-2005, 08:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Keep in mind you'll NEVER be able to drift in a FWD car. You just fishtail.

Drifting requires power to the rear wheels
Old 09-30-2005, 08:16 PM
Banned

o i know. i didnt think i was cool or anything hah my friends had rwd.. n i was juss like fuck u .. lol sliding around on the snow
Old 09-30-2005, 10:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
BTW our cars are quite stable in the snow
Old 09-30-2005, 11:10 PM
Banned

yes^ i agree. i had to turnof tcs and yank the handbreak to make her slide ..in snow!
Old 10-01-2005, 02:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
the car is very fun in dirt too... hehe
Old 10-01-2005, 08:44 AM
Registered Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
BTW our cars are quite stable in the snow
Really predictable and controlable too. Last winter I actually found it best to just slow down for turns, and yank the parking brake to get around them, it felt more controlled and smoother than the regular way.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by UnsanePyro
Really predictable and controlable too. Last winter I actually found it best to just slow down for turns, and yank the parking brake to get around them, it felt more controlled and smoother than the regular way.
Have you guys realized how when it is really bad out side (in minnesota bad is like 18-24 inches in a 24 hour period) it helps to turn of the TCS. If I dont the car wont even move. Winters suck ass here.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:19 AM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

***Cough icanarguethat Cough***

BTW: DISCLAIMER: don't try this unless you are in an open area and have done it many many times and or you are an expert already... Me (Spooky3ce) nor Acurazine is liable nor responsible for what you do with this information. Your decisions are based on your own will and yours alone and no one will be held responsible nor be liable (won't pay for jack shit) for your actions but you, yourself and no one else.

E-Brake Drift

1. Enter a turn at a speed too high for the vehicle to handle (if you do not drift, your vehicle should experience understeer at this speed).

2. Heel-Toe Downshift to get your vehicle into a gear low enough to pull you through a drift (2nd gear).

3. Turn your wheels sharply into the turn. By the time you finish downshifting and turning your wheels, you should be at the apex of the turn.

4. Hold in the release button on your E-Brake and pull up your brake sharply, then quickly release (e-brake is held up for only about 1 second). If using a RWD car, clutch in while pulling your E-Brake. If using a FWD car, keep on the throttle while pulling your E-Brake.

5. When you feel the vehicle’s rear end kicking out, immediately countersteer the wheels to face straight with the road. Your vehicle will pull in the direction of the front wheels, as long as the wheels are still moving. Keep on the throttle. If you press the brakes or let off the throttle because your vehicle is in an extremely oversteered condition, you will spin out or leave the road.

6. When you wish to straighten out your car, after completing the drift, let off the throttle smoothly and straighten out the wheels as your vehicle kicks in line behind the front tires.

http://www.driftsession.com/drift_te...brakedrift.htm

usually and mostly used by FWD vehicles... also helps fine tune your technique etc... It says those exact words in the article/website/instructions...

http://www.driftsession.com/technique.htm

i've done it before... just that i miscalculated that is why i don't have my other two rims on right now and had to have my suspension redone and at the same time was out of my car for 3 months... 1/4 of a year... WHYYYYYYYYY!?!?! you ask...

Because i was too close to the apex and panic'd... let off the accelorator and regained grip... spun out towards the curb and BOOM!!!...

sooo... read the disclaimer before you do any of that... And yes... IT IS STUPID PEOPLE!!!

/rant and informational post arguing about FWD vehicles CAN drift...
Old 10-03-2005, 11:13 AM
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by spooky3ce
***Cough icanarguethat Cough***

/rant and informational post arguing about FWD vehicles CAN drift...
Sure you can drift in an FWD car. For an itty bitty bit.

No way you can sustain it. Your drift is over the moment the rears regain traction (which you can't control). You can sustain it longer in gravel or other low traction environments, but its still not like an RWD car.

Drifting in an FWD car is more of a power slide. You can't make a competition out of it like they have in Japan. There just isn't the control.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:41 AM
Advanced

yup, this is very true. you need a rwd car to drift proper
Old 10-03-2005, 11:53 AM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

Originally Posted by wackjum
Sure you can drift in an FWD car. For an itty bitty bit.

No way you can sustain it. Your drift is over the moment the rears regain traction (which you can't control). You can sustain it longer in gravel or other low traction environments, but its still not like an RWD car.

Drifting in an FWD car is more of a power slide. You can't make a competition out of it like they have in Japan. There just isn't the control.
Drift
To cause a vehicle to exceed its tires' limits of adhesion, exhibiting a lateral slip, resulting in an oversteered condition.

Powerslide
An American racing term for drifting that commonly refers to utilizing excessive horsepower to cause a loss of traction resulting in a drift.

If i'm correct... we or should i say some of us (cornflake & ken might be able to) don't have the required HP/Torque/power to go into a power slide... we can though exceed the tires...

Its a never ending argument... we'll just leave it at that...

Drifting/Powersliding is cool... but dangerous... so be carefull if you are going to do it...