Difficulty time selling 3.2TL

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 12:24 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Difficulty time selling 3.2TL

I never thought it would be this tough to sell my TL. I have had the car a little over 2 years and put a total of 10k on it to bring the total mileage to 102k. But i have sunk quite a bit of money into this car. Tinted the windows and clear bumper lenses for looks, then the problems started. Had the timing belt changed, plugs changed, had to do a tranny fluid drain and fill 3 times to get rid of a knock in the tranny, changed break pads, and now i need an O2 sensor, new rotors, brake calipers, and to top it all off now something is whack with the steering, either needs a new rack or power steering pump. But those are things that are just beginning and difficult to determine by just driving it. Today i'm going to have to change the O2 sensor - $100. I know these problems are more wear and tear and will need to be done on any car, its just frusterating when they pop up at once.

So before things got any worse or some new problem popped up, I put the car up for sale back in september. Wholesale on the car is 8300 retail 11700. I put it in the autotrader for 9950. Got 1 call and somebody tried to scam me over email. So about 45 days later i lowered the price to 9000. Again 1 call. I've had 2 calls in 90+ days and an attempted scam. I haven't had a single person come to even look at the car. I am in the auto finance business so I know what a car is worth and can see what it sells for at the auction. I have called multiple dealers i do business with and the best they want to give me is 7k. I see these cars for sale all over town prices at retail or more. Why are these cars to hard to sell?? Moreover, i'm almost giving the car away at 9k in my opinion and still can't even get a person to drive it. What gives? Anyone else have trouble selling an Acura?

This whole process has made me very aware of the crappy resale of these cars. I notice that they often sit for months on end at dealerships. My plan was to sell the car and get the new 06 TL. Not now. I won't be buying another TL ever.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:39 PM
Banned

As far as I know these cars sell quick where I live. Our retail is good on these cars. Ya you wont always get what you want for them, but people like TL's. Especially the 1st Gen....
Old 12-13-2005, 03:19 PM
Racer

Well 9k is the retail price that the dealer sells it for. Not to mention the car being certified. AS a private owner there is a slim chance of u selling it for over 8k.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:50 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Haikoo
Well 9k is the retail price that the dealer sells it for. Not to mention the car being certified. AS a private owner there is a slim chance of u selling it for over 8k.
Around here the dealers are selling them for retail book, which is 11790 for my car. They actually sell them for 11999. They will not pay more than 7k for any TL regardless of mileage or how the car looks. I just did a quick search on autotrader for all 1st gens in my area.

$11,999 Highest price
$5,995 Lowest price
$9,457 Average price

The biggest thing that gets me is that i've had the car for sale for almost 90 days and only rec'd 2 calls on it. I have never had this difficult of a time selling a car. Its disappointing because I really like the TLs, but after talking to the dealers i do business with and finding out that there is almost NO market for these cars after they hit 100k, i'm going to steer clear of them.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:01 AM
アキュラ 力

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by impur
I never thought it would be this tough to sell my TL. I have had the car a little over 2 years and put a total of 10k on it to bring the total mileage to 102k. But i have sunk quite a bit of money into this car. Tinted the windows and clear bumper lenses for looks, then the problems started. Had the timing belt changed, plugs changed, had to do a tranny fluid drain and fill 3 times to get rid of a knock in the tranny, changed break pads, and now i need an O2 sensor, new rotors, brake calipers, and to top it all off now something is whack with the steering, either needs a new rack or power steering pump. But those are things that are just beginning and difficult to determine by just driving it. Today i'm going to have to change the O2 sensor - $100. I know these problems are more wear and tear and will need to be done on any car, its just frusterating when they pop up at once.

So before things got any worse or some new problem popped up, I put the car up for sale back in september. Wholesale on the car is 8300 retail 11700. I put it in the autotrader for 9950. Got 1 call and somebody tried to scam me over email. So about 45 days later i lowered the price to 9000. Again 1 call. I've had 2 calls in 90+ days and an attempted scam. I haven't had a single person come to even look at the car. I am in the auto finance business so I know what a car is worth and can see what it sells for at the auction. I have called multiple dealers i do business with and the best they want to give me is 7k. I see these cars for sale all over town prices at retail or more. Why are these cars to hard to sell?? Moreover, i'm almost giving the car away at 9k in my opinion and still can't even get a person to drive it. What gives? Anyone else have trouble selling an Acura?

This whole process has made me very aware of the crappy resale of these cars. I notice that they often sit for months on end at dealerships. My plan was to sell the car and get the new 06 TL. Not now. I won't be buying another TL ever.

Impur, I would beg to differ with you. I believe the problem with selling your car most likely has to do more with your location and market. Recently, and in the not to distant past, my friends and I have received mail as well as e-mail from local dealers asking us to trade in our TL's for top dollar. In addition, I've talked to salesmen who have said that they actually make better money on used TL's because of their high demand. Sorry to hear that you are having problems selling your car, hope your luck changes soon
Old 12-14-2005, 11:04 AM
アキュラ 力

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by impur
Its disappointing because I really like the TLs, but after talking to the dealers i do business with and finding out that there is almost NO market for these cars after they hit 100k, i'm going to steer clear of them.

Might it be safe to assume that there is no huge market for any car with over 100,000 miles?
Old 12-14-2005, 03:39 PM
Instructor

$11,999 Highest price
$5,995 Lowest price
$9,457 Average price

If the lowest is 5995, so you think people would be looking forward to buying yours for 9000? I bought my 2.5 TL with 103k on it for 4350. I did a lot of research to get it at this low price. I guess people are just scared by your asking price. Additionally buyers are not too kin on buying cars above 100k miles.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:02 AM
OMG! Oh N0ES!

Originally Posted by Nedd
$11,999 Highest price
$5,995 Lowest price
$9,457 Average price

If the lowest is 5995, so you think people would be looking forward to buying yours for 9000? I bought my 2.5 TL with 103k on it for 4350. I did a lot of research to get it at this low price. I guess people are just scared by your asking price. Additionally buyers are not too kin on buying cars above 100k miles.
not to mention the bodystyle is way outdated, 2 model years old, and for some TLs, almost 10 years old.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nedd
$11,999 Highest price
$5,995 Lowest price
$9,457 Average price

Looking at the car that is priced at 5995, yes i think they would look forward to mine for 9k. That was a 97 with 250k on it.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:44 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JPTL-S
Impur, I would beg to differ with you. I believe the problem with selling your car most likely has to do more with your location and market. Recently, and in the not to distant past, my friends and I have received mail as well as e-mail from local dealers asking us to trade in our TL's for top dollar. In addition, I've talked to salesmen who have said that they actually make better money on used TL's because of their high demand. Sorry to hear that you are having problems selling your car, hope your luck changes soon
You are lucky to be in a market like that. I'll just wait it out, luckily i'm in no hurry just getting frusterated. Whats odd is I had no problem selling a 1990 integra with 190k last year for 1500 over retail book. I got 6k for it. I also had no problem selling my old 2000 integra for retail book. I can't even get a call on my TL priced just above wholesale book.