Could a damaged flywheel stop my shifter from working?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 08:37 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could a damaged flywheel stop my shifter from working?

I am trying to track down what is wrong with my car, which has been sitting since my whole nightmare incident... basically the car sounded like it was dragging a fender, pulled over, nothing dragging....got back in.... car wouldn't shift from N to ANYTHING....rocked the car....shifted to park.....repeated the rocking....shifted to R and hit the gas....the car jumped and grinded to a halt (within inches) called the most expensive shop in town ....paid 2K for R&R of Diff/transcase... they forced me to remove my car in worse running cond. (and totalled by the thieves when they jacked my rims ....the shop said "Fuck you sue me"...nice people!), drove it home and I thought it was going to explode...late shifts...with the engine speed there was a VIOLENT VIOLENT banging/grinding/knocking/shaking/stuttering/shuttering the whole way. The car fucking runs almost fine now with NO more work done to it....THEORY....bolt fell into the torque conv. (missing small cover) and bounced around and did some damage but it is out of harms way now....is this plausable? The car has a knock consistent with engine rpm and appears to be in sync with a slight flywheel wabble.

Old 01-20-2007, 03:16 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Are you the one with the story of how your rims were stolen from INSIDE the shops parking area? Anyhow, your theory on how a bolt could've dropped into the torque-converter sounds plausible, but I'd think that it probably had more to do with them draining the tranny fluid and not filling it back up, or at least not up all the way... Texas, any insights?

~Cheers~
Old 01-25-2007, 09:48 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats me...the car is still broken. I just dealt with the insurance company yesterday...they still don't know whether to pay me or not. BTW, WHOEVER TOLD ME TO GO DIRECTLY TO THEIR INSURANCE COMPANY........I OWE YOU BIG TIME! (seriously, email me and I'll either give you a set of speakers or something or hook up a FAT discount on some car a/v)

Thanks for the reply!
Old 01-25-2007, 11:38 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
That wasn't me, but I'm glad that at least you're getting somewhere with that. I'm sorry to hear that you've still haven't gotten that thing sorted, though, and I wish you the best of luck.

~Cheers~