Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005 | 09:32 PM
LDH
I

Arrow Brake Pads

Alright so it's time for me to get new brake pads and I can't make up my mind on what to get. For those of you who have tried different brake pads what do you recommend and how was your experience with them, as far as braking power and dusting goes?

From what I've tried in the past...

Axxis/PBR ultimates - great for stopping power, but they cover your rim completely with dust after a day of driving

OEM - exactly what you'd expect, they last and work well

Anyone have hawk hps pads, if you do what do you think of them?
Old 08-01-2005 | 12:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Go to Napa and get a set of Safety Stop Ceramix...Brake pads are brake pads...However I worked at Napa for three years, and their brake pads are industry leaders... The Safety Stops are a mid grade pad you can pick up for about 35 bucks... I have the set on my TL and they are great! Ceramic formulation reduces brake dust and noise... Also comes with anti-squeal shims so you dont hear a thing! Napa breaks are backed by a great waranty and trust me, they are the best for the money... I cannot tell you how many issues of "counterman" I read while leaning against a counter answering phones that stated Napa brakes are the best... Go to ANY mechanic/shop and ask them who they buy breaks from... Is'nt it strange that the only parts store that advertises on their delivery trucks is NAPA? I read a study where customers who saw NAPA trucks delivering parts to their shops were more satisfied and felt more comfortable than if the trucks had auto zone or advance decals... Anywho thats my two cents... I just like to ramble its 1:20 am and I have to work at 10:00 after working 32 hours this weekend... Im a zombie... Ok... Im going... to bed.... now............................................... .................
Old 08-01-2005 | 08:10 PM
Racer

hi,
From my experiences, I have formed my own rules about brake pads.
Anything metallic/semi metallic will squeek and give off alot of dust.
But it gives the best stoping power, last the longest, and are the cheapest.
Anything ceramic are quiet with low or none visible dust at all,but cost more depending on brand. Also always change rotors when changing brake pads or vice versa to get its optimum performance. Its ok to be frugal but its going to feel different.
Between the 2 types, there will be trade offs. I havent found one that can combine the best characteristics of a ceramic and metallic yet despite what the manufacturers claims. Maybe soon in the future. But right now, I like Hawk brakes.
Old 08-01-2005 | 08:23 PM
Racer

Go to ANY mechanic/shop and ask them who they buy breaks from... Is'nt it strange that the only parts store that advertises on their delivery trucks is NAPA?
Yo! Thats where my local Midas shop get there parts, from Napa. They charged me the same price as if I were buying Hawk, Brembo, ect brands. I dont know maybe its just where I live. But honestly, I dont like their products.
It last long with great warranties and all that stuff. However, its performance doesn't come close to premium brands like Hawk, Brembo, ect.
I think if you can and are willing to learn how to do your own brakes, you will get the most out of your money in terms of parts and self gratification.
Old 08-02-2005 | 12:54 AM
LDH
I

Originally Posted by Ysidro
But right now, I like Hawk brakes.
So does that mean you have hawk pads, since you like them?

As far as installing brake pads go it's only a 20 min job max. Thats cleaning everything and torqueing bolts to spec.
Old 08-02-2005 | 07:14 PM
Racer

So does that mean you have hawk pads, since you like them?
Yes, I am using Hawk performance ceramic brakes pads with brembo cross drilled rotors for 3 weeks now. I got the pads from TireRack.com and the Brembo rotors from eBay. The rotors took forever because it was shipped from Canada and was heavy as hell. I now am doing my own brakes.
Good luck.
Old 08-05-2005 | 02:15 PM
Advanced

I replaced my rotors and pads not long ago. Rotors were just OEM spec, nothing out of the ordinary. Pads were ceramic, though (don't think ceramic is OEM). They've been quiet and grabby right from the start. I'll never use anything else.
Old 08-05-2005 | 07:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Yes, I am using Hawk performance ceramic brakes pads with brembo cross drilled rotors for 3 weeks now. I got the pads from TireRack.com and the Brembo rotors from eBay. The rotors took forever because it was shipped from Canada and was heavy as hell. I now am doing my own brakes.
Good luck.
Did you have brembos on your Tl if so were in canada did you get drilled rotors? for the 6 speed
Old 08-05-2005 | 11:17 PM
Racer

Did you have brembos on your Tl if so were in canada did you get drilled rotors? for the 6 speed
I got it on eBay. Here is the link. Theres a few brands for the 2.5 TL
Whatever suits you. If you live in Canada, maybe it will be quicker for you.
For me it took like forever. Brembo drilled rotors
Old 08-06-2005 | 08:53 AM
Instructor

asbestos
Old 08-06-2005 | 09:50 AM
Burning Brakes

I got it on eBay. Here is the link. Theres a few brands for the 2.5 TL
Whatever suits you. If you live in Canada, maybe it will be quicker for you.
For me it took like forever. Brembo drilled rotors

DO YOU HAVE A 6 SPEED WITH BREMBOS IS MY QUESTION WITH HE ROTORS YOU BOUGHT
Old 08-06-2005 | 03:22 PM
OMG! Oh N0ES!

Originally Posted by Nitrotiger
DO YOU HAVE A 6 SPEED WITH BREMBOS IS MY QUESTION WITH HE ROTORS YOU BOUGHT
ur in the first gen TL forum.

you want to check out the 3rd gen forum.

As far as brembo drilled rotors, unless you paid >$300 for them, they're just brembo blanks that somebody just drilled holes into.
Old 08-08-2005 | 04:13 PM
Racer

Get some MaxiPads or Tampons. Stop with Max power

I'm going to get some Axxis pads later on.
Old 08-08-2005 | 07:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Just picked up the hawk pads i will let you guy's know how they are i am taking the car to pocono next weekened for an event
Old 08-08-2005 | 08:33 PM
2003 Acura MDX

while we are on the subject, if I was to replace the pads, rotors and have them installed by a shop, around what price would I be looking at (ballpark)

thanks