bigger brake conversion...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tried to get a better angle...

I would hope its over = its over, or maybe you're speaking gaelic? Exactly when was that said though? You may have said something a couple days prior, but your reactions weren't expressed til afterwards. How could I judge you on something before it occurred? I was quoting the past because in the present you were contradicting what you said.. =T Get it? You try to pick apart my words, but it proves nothing really.

Last edited by 石春林; 10-04-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those don't look like 2 piston calipers to me. Are there two arches on the caliper or just one? 1= single piston 2= two piston.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by desired_speeds
Those don't look like 2 piston calipers to me. Are there two arches on the caliper or just one? 1= single piston 2= two piston.
Dude, WTF?! So basically all I did was install steel-lines and get thicker rotors? I'm assuming my rotors are thicker due to being from the accordV6 wagon... and the original Legend brakes I had [which were frozen and so replaced by mehanic] were from a '92. So, having only one arch is it safe to say I got a single piston caliper from a Legend? Did Legends come with single piston calipers? Now I'm concerned as to whether or not my rotors and pads are even the ones I purchsed... >=[

I basically handed him a box of goodies; plain brembo rotors, akebono pads, goodridge Legend-brakelines, some 2nd-rate TL-brakelines [just in case], and used Legend calipers...
Old 10-05-2009, 11:06 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Actually, there's a chance you got smaller rotors. There were two types that fit the Accord V6s from those years: one's 260mm and one's 282mm. Your original rotors are 282mm. Double check your sales slip.

~Cheers~

P.S. and Yes, all Legends that weren't Type II had single piston calipers.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:08 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 99 Likes on 91 Posts
So what is the diameter of the TypeII calipers so that they won't work with my rotors?
Old 10-05-2009, 11:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TLin401
So what is the diameter of the TypeII calipers so that they won't work with my rotors?
you mean rotors? I think it was 11.8 in or something...
Old 10-05-2009, 11:15 PM
大日本帝国

The calipers can be made to work, but it's the rotors that we're talking about. The Type 2 were 21mm, IIRC, vs the stock 19mm on the 3.2. AFAIK, 21mm is actually the thickness of your rotors, too.

~Cheers~
Old 10-05-2009, 11:17 PM
大日本帝国

Originally Posted by desired_speeds
you mean rotors? I think it was 11.8 in or something...
It's 282mm, or 11.1 in.

~Cheers~
Old 10-05-2009, 11:20 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 99 Likes on 91 Posts
So the 3.2 rotors and the 2.5 rotors are different sizes? Is that why the calipers wouldn't work on my rotors?
Old 10-06-2009, 01:01 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Go90go
Actually, there's a chance you got smaller rotors. There were two types that fit the Accord V6s from those years: one's 260mm and one's 282mm. Your original rotors are 282mm. Double check your sales slip.

~Cheers~

P.S. and Yes, all Legends that weren't Type II had single piston calipers.
Thanks, I've been informed of the years I needed for my calipers... I was one year premature and thus I have single-piston calipers. >.< d'oh!

No I did not get thinner rotors, nor did I get same-sized rotors... infact, they were thicker than my stock rotors so you may have rethink you info.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:19 AM
大日本帝国

Originally Posted by 石春林
Thanks, I've been informed of the years I needed for my calipers... I was one year premature and thus I have single-piston calipers. >.< d'oh!

No I did not get thinner rotors, nor did I get same-sized rotors... infact, they were thicker than my stock rotors so you may have rethink you info.
I said smaller, not thinner.

~Cheers~

P.S. Oh, and weren't you comparing new rotors to old? Of course the new ones would be thicker!!

Last edited by Go90go; 10-06-2009 at 01:24 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:48 AM
Instructor

I said smaller, not thinner.

~Cheers~

P.S. Oh, and weren't you comparing new rotors to old? Of course the new ones would be thicker!!
So, you're talking about... rotor diametre? No, they didn't have a smaller diametre
Old 10-06-2009, 02:05 AM
大日本帝国

Then you lucked out and got the 282mm ones at least.

~Cheers~
Old 10-06-2009, 02:28 AM
Instructor

Yeah, I didn't get ripped off... I got what I paid for. I just didn't do enough research into which Legend calipers I'd be getting. I had assumed all the calipers were the same for that generation Legend... didn't know that hadn't started making type-II calipers until the following year in '93.

But I bought cheap parts because I didn't want to go all out on my braking system until after the 5-lug conversion. Or else I would've done front and rear, with brembo cross-drilled rotors, and higher performance akebono pads... But now I'm considering going with the NSX calipers instead of Legend when I finish this project.

Last edited by 石春林; 10-06-2009 at 02:30 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:46 AM
大日本帝国

Originally Posted by 石春林
Yeah, I didn't get ripped off... I got what I paid for. I just didn't do enough research into which Legend calipers I'd be getting. I had assumed all the calipers were the same for that generation Legend... didn't know that hadn't started making type-II calipers until the following year in '93.

But I bought cheap parts because I didn't want to go all out on my braking system until after the 5-lug conversion. Or else I would've done front and rear, with brembo cross-drilled rotors, and higher performance akebono pads... But now I'm considering going with the NSX calipers instead of Legend when I finish this project.
I had original Brembo Sport drilled in the red box, not Brembo blanks that were aftermarket drilled. That detail is EXTREMELY important because Brembo won't warranty blanks that were drilled by someone else, and they're structurally weaker because they weren't designed to have holes in them. Stick with the Legend Type II calipers because they're actually better than the NA1 calipers. I like Hawk pads, and hate Axxis because of dust and durability. Whether it was the Metal Masters or the Ultimates, both were garbage.

~Cheers~
Old 10-06-2009, 03:16 AM
Instructor

I had original Brembo Sport drilled in the red box, not Brembo blanks that were aftermarket drilled. That detail is EXTREMELY important because Brembo won't warranty blanks that were drilled by someone else, and they're structurally weaker because they weren't designed to have holes in them. Stick with the Legend Type II calipers because they're actually better than the NA1 calipers. I like Hawk pads, and hate Axxis because of dust and durability. Whether it was the Metal Masters or the Ultimates, both were garbage.

~Cheers~
I only buy brakes from the source or reputable dealers... brakes are something I don't muck with by trying to save money. (with exception of my rear brakes this one time, only because we are front wheel drive) That is why I went brembo company even if they're regular plates and not cross-drilled, strictly for reliability...

Akebono are the pads for me because they were one of the pioneers with ceramic pads. I opt for ceramics because of dust reduction and they were the original alternative to that nasty asbestos shit.

I thought I read someone mentioning the NSX calipers had like... 4 pistons... which I would assume is a major step up in power... correct?
Old 10-06-2009, 11:30 AM
大日本帝国

Originally Posted by 石春林
I only buy brakes from the source or reputable dealers... brakes are something I don't muck with by trying to save money. (with exception of my rear brakes this one time, only because we are front wheel drive) That is why I went brembo company even if they're regular plates and not cross-drilled, strictly for reliability...

Akebono are the pads for me because they were one of the pioneers with ceramic pads. I opt for ceramics because of dust reduction and they were the original alternative to that nasty asbestos shit.

I thought I read someone mentioning the NSX calipers had like... 4 pistons... which I would assume is a major step up in power... correct?
FWD or not, brake bias is very important.

Yes, having 4-pot calipers would improve stopping power provided you had the rotors with the surface area to use them. Another reason for wider tires: contact patch. It's the same for brakes and for tires.

~Cheers~
Old 10-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Instructor

Another reason for wider tires: contact patch. It's the same for brakes and for tires.
Yes, but I wouldn't be driving around with super-wide tires just for more friction [contact patch?] to help stop the vehicle...

I guess I'll try to select the thinnest tires to accomodate the NSX brakes... =T

...but, if NSX is overkill and the Legend type-II can accomodate the same thinner tires as stock, I may lean in that direction

side-question... what's the widest rims I could fit without losing turning radius?

Last edited by 石春林; 10-06-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:23 PM
大日本帝国

^ Tire width isn't the determining factor on brake fitment. It's the rim size and offset/disk.

About turning radius, I have a tighter turning radius than desired_speeds, and he's stock, while I'm running 7.5". The reason those 20" rims can't turn is not the width (they're all skinny as hell), but because of the height of the wheel, it hits the inside of the fenderwell.

~Cheers~
Old 10-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Instructor

The reason those 20" rims can't turn is not the width (they're all skinny as hell), but because of the height of the wheel, it hits the inside of the fenderwell.
Already understood... when I said width.. I meant how wide the diametre of the tires... Again, I should probably be a bit more specific with my choice of words. I was asking what is the largest rims I can fit without losing turning radius... 19s, 18s, 17s? So, the car-jargon would be height = the diametre?
Old 10-06-2009, 03:13 PM
大日本帝国

Height would be including tires. I used to go mudding and wheeling and on the trucks, the tire/wheel combos were differentiated by total height. 32"+ was a must, haha.

I like 16s on this body for a good overall balance on turning radius and looks. I would go 17" for looks, but I do things for practicality, too. For me, a 16" with a almost standard height sidewall is perfect because of grip, ride noise and comfort, and a much smaller change of bending rims. If I had a set of 17" on, then the tire would have to be thinner and I'd have to deal with more noise, not to mention more rotating mass.

~Cheers~
Old 10-06-2009, 03:25 PM
Instructor

I like 16s on this body for a good overall balance on turning radius and looks. I would go 17" for looks, but I do things for practicality, too. For me, a 16" with a almost standard height sidewall is perfect because of grip, ride noise and comfort, and a much smaller change of bending rims. If I had a set of 17" on, then the tire would have to be thinner and I'd have to deal with more noise, not to mention more rotating mass.
Wait, what're the stock rim height? I thought they were 16s... are they 15s? That is small, 15s and 16s... my girl's mini clubman has those heights... even with 17s as an option. If 17s can fit without losing turn radius, I may spring for those. Again, small conceptual ideas of mine... a larger tire travels a further distance with every rotation. Thanks... I think I'll be springing for 17s on mine. As for the rotating mass... that is another good arguement for my 5-lug conversion... ;D

Last edited by 石春林; 10-06-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:29 PM
大日本帝国

You can fit 17" with no problems, as long as you keep the total diameter close to stock. A little over is ok. Factory wheels are 15", with fatty tires for the aforementioned ride comfort.

If you go too much over stock size, the speedo will read slower than you're actually going, too, since the VSS is based on the differential.

Here's one of the most straightforward calculators from the Miata guys:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

~Cheers~