bigger brake conversion...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 06:57 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question bigger brake conversion...

Ok, so on this site I found one thread regarding a conversion to bigger brakes; e.g. NSX or Legend brakes. I followed the instructions to the T when collecting the parts required, but considering I didn't want muck with my brake lines I decided to just have everything else installed for me along with those... but here's the pinch;

All the parts I ordered were installed EXCEPT for the brake lines... the mechanic said that the Legend brakelines don't fit with my Legend caliper/rotor.

Now, here's my paranoia kicking in and I am wondering if you all can ease my concerns or not... I know for sure the rotor was for a Legend but the calipers I had bought (used) were actually frozen and he claimed to have replaced them with his own set of "Legend" calipers.

Does the fact my brakelines from a Legend don't fit mean he actually fit TL calipers on? But if so... they still fit Legend rotors?

Basically, he told me he put in the Legend rotor, Legend caliper, and TL brakelines... is this possible? I read I HAD to replace the lines as well--hence the reason I went to a mechanic in the first place.

I have a 2.5 TL

Last edited by 石春林; 09-25-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:05 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its fine, i run legend rotors and calipers with stock TL lines...
Old 09-25-2009, 11:20 PM
Instructor

Thank you for putting my worries at bay.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:31 AM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Ok so I don't really know about upgrading brakes but here's little something for you OP..

Art alerted me to this thread and asked me to post that the Legend rotors referred to in the threads are 2nd gen Legend ones, which are 5 lug not 4 like your 2.5. If you're running Legend brakes, then you've got them from the first gen Legend which might not even be an upgrade. That's also the most likely reason your lines didn't fit properly.

The write-up is for 3.2s, as Undyroos is also.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:01 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tmnhs81
Ok so I don't really know about upgrading brakes but here's little something for you OP..

Art alerted me to this thread and asked me to post that the Legend rotors referred to in the threads are 2nd gen Legend ones, which are 5 lug not 4 like your 2.5. If you're running Legend brakes, then you've got them from the first gen Legend which might not even be an upgrade. That's also the most likely reason your lines didn't fit properly.

The write-up is for 3.2s, as Undyroos is also.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:04 PM
Safety Car

Temporary. for 10 days. he'll be back by the end of next week....
Old 09-26-2009, 01:04 PM
Instructor

why'd he get banned if I may ask?
Old 09-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Safety Car

See post # 16

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tl-photograph-gallery-102/my-2-5-tl-20in-rim-lambo-doors-lowered-2-5-front-rear-745226/

that guy is fucking annoying. typical douchbag behavior.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
back on topic plz
Old 09-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Safety Car

Sure. I was about to post that earlier.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:52 AM
Instructor

Can the 2.5 tl guys get any big brake kit or is it only 3.2 tls swapped with the 5-lug legends or nsx brakes?
Old 09-27-2009, 12:05 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 99 Likes on 91 Posts
I think its only the 5 lug people unless there is an Accord BBK that will fit on our cars.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:31 PM
Str8 Home built

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Am getting a set of stainless steel break lines for my 2.5.. alsooo i was thinking bout putting NSX calipers.... sooo would my 2.5 TL lines work on the NSX clipers............????? alssooo would i have to change my rotors too or not...??????
Old 09-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Instructor

Wow, I was wondering why he had gotten banded as well... I saw him on the road a while back and was going to comment on how beautiful his car was... no wonder he got the boot.. The use of that one word alone... I sincerely hope I don't see him on the road again. Nor his car parked anywhere near our city...

Anyway... thanks for the FYI on my "upgrade" to stock-size brakes, LOL

I have been planning for a 5-lug conversion since day one, before I ever knew of the bigger brake conversion. I guess this is all the more reason to follow through with my plans. This really sucks though... not just for me. I remember seeing other people with 2.5s posting they did this "conversion"... Damn, I wish I really took a closer look comparing the rotors and calipers!
Old 09-30-2009, 04:29 PM
Instructor

OFF TOPIC - in reference to that thread mentioned above... I rather like the lambo-doors idea.... I am not into flashy rims though. I like the lambo doors for the same practical reasons we like powerfolding mirrors. In crowded or narrow streets (or parking-lots even) who wants a door that needs to be opened wide?

And after reading further into his case... he's not racist... just ignorant. Chris Rock did put it best--but that gives him no right.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:39 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 石春林
OFF TOPIC - in reference to that thread mentioned above... I rather like the lambo-doors idea.... I am not into flashy rims though. I like the lambo doors for the same practical reasons we like powerfolding mirrors. In crowded or narrow streets (or parking-lots even) who wants a door that needs to be opened wide?

And after reading further into his case... he's not racist... just ignorant. Chris Rock did put it best--but that gives him no right.
Who are we talking about here. No hard feelings but just curious.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:59 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Originally Posted by bigwerm187
Am getting a set of stainless steel break lines for my 2.5.. alsooo i was thinking bout putting NSX calipers.... sooo would my 2.5 TL lines work on the NSX clipers............????? alssooo would i have to change my rotors too or not...??????
NSX calipers don't work on our cars. You need the 5 lug rotor I think.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I posted this before, but...... for the 2.5, you can use Legend or NSX calipers. You need the calipers themselves, the brackets, and the 94-97 v6 accord rotors. You can use legend/NSX pads as they are the same. If by any chance you cannot obtain the NSX or legend caliper brackets, you may use the 94-97 accord wagon ones. I'm not sure about the NSX calipers, but in order for the Legend calipers to fit on, you must put the left Legend caliper on the right side of the TL and vice versa.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:13 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

So 94-97 v6 rotors off an accord are a direct bolt-on to the 2.5s? So the legend calipers will fit on the v6 rotors no problem?
Old 09-30-2009, 11:18 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Take that back. The rotors are direct bolt on.

They are cheaper than what I paid for the ones that I bought. FML
Old 09-30-2009, 11:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TLin401
So 94-97 v6 rotors off an accord are a direct bolt-on to the 2.5s? So the legend calipers will fit on the v6 rotors no problem?
yes sir.

Take that back. The rotors are direct bolt on.

They are cheaper than what I paid for the ones that I bought. FML
Old 09-30-2009, 11:34 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

So what is the difference between our rotors and Accord rotors? Are those thicker?
Old 09-30-2009, 11:36 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

This thread should be a sticky with Colt's direct bolt-on DIY. This could the facts guide for 2.5 and 3.2 big brake conversions.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

So what is the difference between our rotors and Accord rotors? Are those thicker?
I'm not exactly sure, all I know is that accord V6 rotors work with the calipers. I helped my friend do the Legend caliper conversion on his 96 accord 4 cylinder last time.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by desired_speeds
I think I posted this before, but...... for the 2.5, you can use Legend or NSX calipers. You need the calipers themselves, the brackets, and the 94-97 v6 accord rotors. You can use legend/NSX pads as they are the same. If by any chance you cannot obtain the NSX or legend caliper brackets, you may use the 94-97 accord wagon ones. I'm not sure about the NSX calipers, but in order for the Legend calipers to fit on, you must put the left Legend caliper on the right side of the TL and vice versa.
Wait, so does this mean I DO have a big-brake conversion?

If I remember correctly, which is actually opposed to my initial post...

I ordered Accord V6 brembo rotors, and he put refurbished Legend calipers on... but then told me the good-ridge lines I had wouldn't fit (from a Legend) so he put on some other steel-lines I had from the past before the idea of this conversion.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:34 AM
Instructor

I was referring to the guy with a very nice car but let a racist slurr slip from his lips. I understand his confusion. He probably isn't racist.. just ignorant when it comes to social tolerance. I know where he's coming from when trying to distinguish a sub-group of a particular ethnicity... but he had no right to use that word.. because even Chris Rock enunced it differently than the way he spelled it. Still jocking his car though... I saw him on Geary street in the city. "Dai Npn"... I didn't even know it was a TL when looking in my rearview... but when he passed me up I saw the "Inspire" and instantly knew it was the guy that won those awards and flaunted it on this website. Infact, the reason I returned to this website was to contact him and comment on his car.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:36 AM
Instructor

I ordered Accord V6 brembo rotors, and he put refurbished Legend calipers on... but then told me the good-ridge lines I had wouldn't fit (from a Legend) so he put on some other steel-lines I had from the past before the idea of this conversion. I did tell him to put left on right and right on left, now that you mention it.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:29 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 石春林
I was referring to the guy with a very nice car but let a racist slurr slip from his lips. I understand his confusion. He probably isn't racist.. just ignorant when it comes to social tolerance. I know where he's coming from when trying to distinguish a sub-group of a particular ethnicity... but he had no right to use that word.. because even Chris Rock enunced it differently than the way he spelled it. Still jocking his car though... I saw him on Geary street in the city. "Dai Npn"... I didn't even know it was a TL when looking in my rearview... but when he passed me up I saw the "Inspire" and instantly knew it was the guy that won those awards and flaunted it on this website. Infact, the reason I returned to this website was to contact him and comment on his car.

Isn't "sista" and "brotha" just a different way of spelling "sister" and "brother", to reflect the way they pronounce it? It's not as if they're different words. You ripped on everyone for talking about learning American English vs. British English and spelling things differently with the same meaning, yet here you say they're completely different. If anyone's ignorant, it's you.

He also didn't flaunt anything and didn't post about even going to the show. It was desired_speeds who let us know that he won by starting a thread located here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tl-photograph-gallery-102/congratulations-go90go-640524/
Old 10-01-2009, 08:40 AM
Instructor

Isn't "sista" and "brotha" just a different way of spelling "sister" and "brother", to reflect the way they pronounce it? It's not as if they're different words. You ripped on everyone for talking about learning American English vs. British English and spelling things differently with the same meaning, yet here you say they're completely different. If anyone's ignorant, it's you.
I care nothing about his flaunting, what good is winning if you don't have bragging rights. In regards to the "sista" and "brotha" comment with use of spelling... touche (french term in fencing meaning "touched" or for "I give a point to you")

As for my ignorance... not sure what you're getting at--exactly what am I ignorant of? Unless you're referring to the actual events which occurred... I only know what I've read and that's pretty damned condemning, I'm actually suprised at myself for sticking up for him so you shouldn't really call me ignorant if you're truly trying to be on his defensive. If you look at the derivative of the word in question (I dare not repeat it due to whatever) it actually translates as "ignorant", not necessarily "black"... as for the slang they use I care not... it is just a softer tone not carrying so much hate related to the past. When I said ignorant towards social tolerance... I meant just that; he did not know the tolerance of such a word in society--or he wouldn't've used it so freely.

I'm not ripping on him, so quit being so defensive... just stating my opinion. Reread what I posted, you'll see I have respect for him.. he just needs to watch his mouth (or in this case his fingers)

Last edited by 石春林; 10-01-2009 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:55 AM
Instructor

I reread what you typed... I think you meant to call me a hypocrite. Considering what I posted in that other thread... you have the right to say so, I did conflict with my other line of thought. Now you're just arguing semantics.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:15 AM
Str8 Home built

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
NSX calipers don't work on our cars. You need the 5 lug rotor I think.
oo what does the rotor have to do with the caliper tho....?????
Old 10-01-2009, 10:19 AM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Someone needs to try Legend of NSX calipers on our rotors. If it works I will order the calipers right now.

I'm dead ass about it too
Old 10-01-2009, 10:39 AM
Instructor

Someone needs to try Legend of NSX calipers on our rotors. If it works I will order the calipers right now.

I'm dead ass about it too
I have Accord V6 rotors with Legend calipers... I would've gone NSX calipers but why just for name brand? I believe the hype comes from the extra pistons use for braking power, and the compatibility issue was addressed in the stickied-thread... something to do with inserting a washer or some other.

For our 2.5 desired_speed provided us the answer.. get accordV6 rotors and put the left Legend caliper on the right--and right on left... voila. Worked for me. The mechanic that instaleld it said that the stock rotors would work too... so essentially you may be able to just cop some Legend calipers and slap them on--reveresed of course, left to right.

Last edited by 石春林; 10-01-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 石春林

I ordered Accord V6 brembo rotors, and he put refurbished Legend calipers on... but then told me the good-ridge lines I had wouldn't fit (from a Legend) so he put on some other steel-lines I had from the past before the idea of this conversion. I did tell him to put left on right and right on left, now that you mention it.
I'm not exactly sure if the 2.5 brakes lines are the same as the 3.2 lines, but I'm sure that you can just use the 2.5 lines to bolt right up to the Legend calipers. If you can snap a quick picture of the calipers, even bolted on the car, I can confirm that they are legend calipers.

Ohh yea, btw, try to keep this thread on topic.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:42 AM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

I still wanna know what the difference is between V6 Accord rotors and 2.5 rotors. It is probably something that is very minor too.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:00 AM
Instructor

I'm not exactly sure if the 2.5 brakes lines are the same as the 3.2 lines, but I'm sure that you can just use the 2.5 lines to bolt right up to the Legend calipers. If you can snap a quick picture of the calipers, even bolted on the car, I can confirm that they are legend calipers.

Ohh yea, btw, try to keep this thread on topic.
I can run down and take a quick shot of them, behind the wheel though. Don't have time to remove the tire... could you still be able to tell?

As for the off-topic aspect, just trying to keep the peace and build enough clout for him so that go90go to come back in good graces with anyone that took offence. I tend to be a bit brusque when I comment and so I don't want him and his friends to take my opinions the wrong way. I piss off a lot of people because I'm so direct in my approach, I speak what is on my mind and sugarcoat nothing.

Sorry about the size of the photos, in a rush and uploaded not knowing if it'll resize..

EDIT- there, editted the size at the source webpage
Old 10-01-2009, 01:39 PM
Instructor

I just realised I double posted my reponse with the photos when trying to edit it, could this be removed to reduce clutter? Thanks!

Oh, and FYI to everyone... the reason colloqiual use of the shortened version of *a is acceptable to some communities when used like "yo, wut up my *a?" is because in some Afrikaan tribes that word is translated as "my king" ...but no one really uses it in that context... that's getting too deep into roots and most people remain ignorant of those puns.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

I can't exactly tell him those pics, but if you can move the car a bit forward or backwards so in between the spoke, shows the side of the caliper, I could probably tell.

btw, you're in the city too?
Old 10-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Instructor

Yes I'm from the City. Not sure if rolling forward or back will help much considering the width of the spokes for my stock wheels. I'll try to acquire better viewpoints once I get home though.

As for why someone would be so naive as to claim racism versus ignorance begets me. That's like your defense attourney saying "your honour, he wasn't aware of the law" and the suspect jumping up appalled like "I knew I was committing a crime! I'm not ignorant!" ... seriously, stop being butt-hurt with you and your false-pretenses
and quit digging a bigger hole.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Safety Car

Dude, WTF!! Discussion was over on that topic about 2 days ago. why you keep bringing that shit up. You need help with your car, ask question. You should not say anything about him(go90go), that topic and the other guy anymore. Its over means ITS OVER. Quit ranting about it and carry on with other shit.

BTW that was posted on 09/30/09. You just want to keep bringing that topic up, its not like you didn't noticed that post before. Now STFU and don't quote me on anything anymore.

Last edited by tmnhs81; 10-02-2009 at 05:58 PM.

Quick Reply: bigger brake conversion...