Anyone want a custom high output alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 10:54 PM
Ex-Mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone want a custom high output alternator?

This is not gonna be our factory alternator rewound. It will be a direct replacement from a reputable company. Our factory alternator puts out 100 amps, this one will put out 180 amps. Price will be $300-$400. If anyone is interested I will need to know by the end of this week or the beginning of next week. We are doing a group buy for a cheaper price. Thats why the price is $300-$400. Right now we have 5 people. The more people, the cheaper. Anyone interested? This may be a one in a time chance....

BTW, it comes with a 1 year warranty....
Old 01-25-2002, 04:04 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you can get it for $300 then I will seriously consider it, I can even come around your way and pick it up if your getting it locally this way I save on shipping and we can actually meet up.
Old 01-25-2002, 05:50 PM
Ex-Mod

Originally posted by BobbysTL
If you can get it for $300 then I will seriously consider it, I can even come around your way and pick it up if your getting it locally this way I save on shipping and we can actually meet up.
Nope. This is being done in Texas. I still dont know the exact price for it but I will let you know when I do. I'm surprised nobody else wants one. How do you guys even run systems with our pathetic 100 amp alternator?
Old 01-25-2002, 06:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i run mine with an optima battery and im comtimplating on getting a capacitator
Old 01-25-2002, 06:39 PM
Ex-Mod

Originally posted by 962.5TL
capacitator
Capacitor.
Old 01-25-2002, 08:23 PM
Safety Car

okay please don't laugh but what is the exact function of an alternator? i'm guessing its the cars "amp" that powers the electrical stuff in our car???? or the amount of power thats available to start our car?? school me
Old 01-25-2002, 11:22 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
LMAO...ya' gotta watch out for them "CAPACITATORS" LMAO, whatta dumbazz
Old 01-26-2002, 02:41 PM
Ex-Mod

Originally posted by StreetEffectz
LMAO...ya' gotta watch out for them "CAPACITATORS" LMAO, whatta dumbazz
We're not all Electrical Engineers.
Old 01-26-2002, 02:45 PM
Ex-Mod

Originally posted by TLBaller
okay please don't laugh but what is the exact function of an alternator? i'm guessing its the cars "amp" that powers the electrical stuff in our car???? or the amount of power thats available to start our car?? school me
Well your car bettery like any other battery only has a certain amount of power. The alternator is a part of the engine that spins producing electricity keeping the battery charged. Without an alternator the battery would eventually die. Your alternator only has a certain amount of power to spare because its powering all your factory stuff. Wipers, lights, blower, etc. When you have a stereo, TVs, upgraded headlights, your cars charging system is not always capable of powering everything. Eventually your alternator and battery would go bad. If you get a high output alternator you'll have plenty of power to spare for all your goodies.
Old 01-27-2002, 12:35 AM
Safety Car

AHHHH okay! thanks for clearing that up for me. well i have a 900 watt amp for my subs and i use a factory battery. i guess a factory battery could handle that. im going to get another amp to push my components so i might have to upgrade to another battery (optima) or i guess......a new alternator? oh well...
Old 01-27-2002, 07:29 PM
Burning Brakes

While your engine is running your battery also becomes a draw on your alternator. You only run your system off the battery when your engine is off.
Old 01-27-2002, 10:05 PM
Banned

96TL:
Not a bad idea to start this thread in here too man. I still am sending mine out this week. Monday if I can get it off the car soon enough. 96TL I still need your alternator Denso number.

BobbysTL:
The place that is making the alternators is based out of Ohio. So I doubt it would be local to most people here. The ceiling for the price is $400, and that is assuming they have no idea what your alternator is and will completely replace it with a new one (so you have your old alternator as a backup, or you can go sell it). The price will be less depending on what alternator is in your car, because they can possibly rewind it instead and it won't be as costly. If you plan on doing this let me know...I will need the alternator number off of your alternator and then I can get a price for you.

962.5TL:
batteries and capacitors won't do the same thing an an alternator...seeing as how neither batteries nor capacitors provide your electrical systems power, but alternators do.

StreetEffectz:
The capacitators are okay...it's the decapacitators that scare me

TLBaller:
Another thing about the alternators...and this is really for everyone to read...that 100A is at max rpm...as is the 180A. The marked improvement (40% or so) is the idle power output of the alternators. Basically when you get a nice sized stereo in, you have to have your car idling rather high to keep power running to it, as the alternator puts out power relative to how fast it spins, which is how fast the engine is running. With these alternators, you won't have to rev your engine for awhile to recharge everything if there is a drain, you will have a larger constant supply of idle power, without sacrificing anything. That's REALLY nice and was a good point brought up by a friend of mine who just upgraded his. As for getting another amp after the one you have...upgrading the battery or putting in caps won't help. Again, caps and batteries don't produce power. So yes, you may be able to get a battery that can hold 15 mins more charge than a standard battery, but you will still drain your system if you aren't actually putting out enough power...hence the alternator needs to be upgraded.

Wampum:
Your battery does become a load...but not necessarily a draw. Assuming you run your car at idle to recharge your battery completely, then it would act as an open circuit, and wouldnt' draw any power. The alternator would be supplying the power for the system at idle, as well as any time...WOT or otherwise. Basically if you ever have a constant draw on your battery from your stereo, you need a new alternator...because at some point you will drain your battery dry and your alternator won't put out enough power to keep everything running.

Also for those of you who may one day get a better ignition system...or NOS (and thus need a better ignition system)...or plan to upgrade your stereo to a good healty size, this is a must.

Austin519
Old 01-27-2002, 11:01 PM
Ex-Mod

Hey Austin whats up man, never seen you in here before. OK, I'll get you the numbers tomorrow night. Where the hell do I look? Are they small numbers engraved on the alternator or a sticker maybe? Did you get to yours from under the car or above? I should have better sounding bass with a high output alternator right? I notice that if I drive around for an hour or so with the system low and then turn it up the bass just sounds totally different for about 3-4 minutes. It sounds nice and tight but then eventually sounds funny again. Any update as to when I can send mine out? It seems to me that only us 2 are gonna do this. Maybe BobbysTL, too.
Old 01-28-2002, 01:25 AM
Banned

96TL:
"Hey Austin whats up man, never seen you in here before. OK, I'll get you the numbers tomorrow night. Where the hell do I look? Are they small numbers engraved on the alternator or a sticker maybe? Did you get to yours from under the car or above? I should have better sounding bass with a high output alternator right? I notice that if I drive around for an hour or so with the system low and then turn it up the bass just sounds totally different for about 3-4 minutes. It sounds nice and tight but then eventually sounds funny again. Any update as to when I can send mine out? It seems to me that only us 2 are gonna do this. Maybe BobbysTL, too."

Yeah I haven't been in here before...ever...not one post But well now there's a new sub-forum I can post to . Great...get them whenever you have a chance. They're small numbers on a sticker on the top of the alternator in plain view...and your alternator is in front of your engine...you should be able to see it just by popping the hood and taking a quick glance. And yes you will have better bass...this is under the assumption that you're having power problems (not enough power for the system). If you've checked all the wiring, then what you're saying is a power issue...it sounds fine for a little while because your electrical equipment is all charged up per se...your battery and all that. It sounds like your power draw is just a little more than your power output, because it slowly drains your battery until you are under voltage, and then it starts to sound bad. I want to go ahead and send mine out first, see what they charge me, see what kind of quality work they do, etc etc etc (and of course as an EE I'm gonna take the alternator apart afterward and do all kinds of tests...) then you guys send it. That's what they suggested, and they won't do it any other way. Expect to send yours out this week. Possibly earlier depending on the alternator you have, and of course the number you give me for that alternator. Well, Jens has a lot of people that want to, but unfortunately he can't get in touch with them until they all meet up in May. digitalgm wanted to, as well as a few others. Go back to my original post and I listed them. I end up expecting 4 or so of us. I'll let you know...tomorrow I have class all day so I'm worried if I'll be able to take out my alternator and ship it off in time. If I can, then I'll let you know...otherwise it'll be Tues. when I ship it off.

Austin519
Old 01-28-2002, 04:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

haha ok you guys can be the guine pigs. if all goes well, i'll definately get them. austin, you know what i'm gonna do with my car so if i hear good stuff from this company, i'll definately order it.
Old 01-28-2002, 06:38 PM
Ex-Mod

Austin I looked at my alternator and I dont see any number. Should I try calling a Acura dealer? I doubt they'll help me though.
Old 01-29-2002, 12:35 AM
Banned

unx979:
"haha ok you guys can be the guine pigs. if all goes well, i'll definately get them. austin, you know what i'm gonna do with my car so if i hear good stuff from this company, i'll definately order it."

Okay man...may I suggest to you instead...I already am going to be the guneia pig here as I am sending off my alternator to get them to rewind it...I'll have it before anyone else. But if you wait, which is what Jens group is doing, I doubt you'll get the price I've negotiated...maybe but I don't know. Just keep that in mind.

96TL:
That's not good...mine was easily visible right on the side. I seriously doubt that Acura will give you anything but an Acura part #. Hmm. I'll look at mine again to get the exact place I found it. Go ahead and call Acura and ask them...the parts division of your place...and ask for the Denso #, not the Acura number...check all over the alternator though man...that sucks.

Austin519