Advice needed - 97 3.2 TL

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006 | 03:48 PM
Instructor

Advice needed - 97 3.2 TL

Acura know all folks
Lend me your ear..err...eyes for a minute...

I bought a 97 acura 3,2 TL recently. It has 120000 on it. Love it and want to drive it till eternity. With that goal please help me figure out what all I should get done as preventive maintenance.

Background
----------------
I bought it off a lady who had no maintenance records...that's a long story...Trusted her..risk will pay off or I'll learn a lesson never to do that again...I fell in love the car and bought it. Please don't give me hell over that.

Anyway back to the agenda...here's what's already done.

1. From what she told me it already has it's timing belt done so let's assume that is out of the way.
2. I've taken it to the dealership for an oil change.
3. Got the air filter changed

Here's what I am going to get done

1. Spent some time on this wonderful site and got to know about the extended emissions warranty (free oil change/spark plug etc.) . So that's what I am getting done when I need the next oil change.
2. The ABS light come on every now and then. Texashonda graciously helped me troubleshoot that and it looks like the the Front Left ABS Speed wheel sensor needs to be cleaned/replaced.

Question
-------------
That brings me to my question - which of the following is an absolute must? If all are, in what priority should I attack these...can't get all done at the same time

1. Transmission fluid ( I don't know when this was last done on the car)
- Do I get a tranmission fluid exchange now?
- Do I get a transmission fluid flush now ?
- Do I get the tranmission filter replaced now?
- Do I get the transmission screen replace/cleaned now?

2. Coolant fluid flush/exchange

3. Brake Oil flush/exchange

4. Anything else?

I ain't loaded or anything but I have no qualms about spending the right amount to keep my car running the way it should.

So, let me know.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2006 | 04:25 PM
Senior Moderator

I would get a mechanic to thoroughly inspect it. Yes it'll cost a little bit, but you'll be doing the right thing in assessing your car's needs.

I'd get the coolant flushed first and foremost.
Old 01-23-2006 | 05:02 PM
Instructor

pre-purchanse inspection

I got BrakesPlus to do a pre-purchase inspection and they gave it the greenlight. The dude came out saying if you don't buy it I'll buy it - right in front of the seller. Cut off my haggling avenues right there
Old 01-23-2006 | 06:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Fluid exchanges are relatively inexpensive and for the most part easy. Changing out the trans fluid, brake fluid, power steering, coolant, differential fluid will also give your car a better chance of surviving longer... Even if it has already been done, why not be safe. I would reccomend having them all changed.

Taking it to a mechanic is a good idea.

Other things to consider w/the 3.2...

-Spark Plugs... about 80 bucks if you do it yourself
-Fuel Filter
-Oxygen Sensors (If needed)
-Clean EGR Valve
-Have alligment/wheel balance checked
-Brakes
-Check the belts... my 98 3.2 had 108,000 on the original belts and they were eaten alive when I replaced them... The above can be completed with a minor amount of mechanical ability, and some good proffesional literature to guide you through it.

Also keep an eye on the alternator/starter behavior... I have had trouble with one or the other at different times and have ended up replacing both...

These cars are rock solid... Keep the fluids changed, routine maintenance in par. Listen to your motor... if it ticks/squeals/squeaks/hisses/etc... Do not ignore it, could be something simple like a pulley but it could be something that if not taken care of could stem into a nightmare.

You made a good decision to buy a TL, even a better decision to get on Acurazine... I love this place.
Old 01-24-2006 | 02:07 PM
Instructor

Thanks....

Thanks a lot for the replies folks...

Could you prioritize these for me so I can keep going down the list over the next year. Don't think I can take the hit of getting all those done at the same time.
Old 01-25-2006 | 08:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

if ur gonna flush the coolant, i personally think it would be worthwhile to go ahead and change the thermostat since u've already got the coolant out. It shouldn't be more than 10 bucks for an aftermarket thermostat, 20 for an OEM one. Its definetly a worthwhile purchase - I seemt o remember a member on here who blew his head gasket (which is already a "sensitive" part on our TL's) because the thermostat failed. Spending 10/20 bucks now might save u 2000/3000 down the road. Just my