2.5TL struts

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 11:02 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.5TL struts

Has anyone changed their struts on a 2.5TL??? What brand did you get??? How did they ride compared to stock???

Old 08-27-2004, 12:13 AM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

Originally Posted by my96_2.5TL
Has anyone changed their struts on a 2.5TL??? What brand did you get??? How did they ride compared to stock???

Well, truely... I havn't changed them... yet... click here for the mod i'm putting in... lol, its my style ok DAMN IT!!! anyways... if you are to "upgrade" your stockers don't you think you should be upgrading to something better than the stock suspension??? Meaning, the ride quality should be better, in most cases. Then again, depends if you are going for the Racer/Performance thing, or you would just like to ride like a Caddy... but if you do change them... pics of the process would be cool or post any problems you had when changing them... I plan to do my own installation... project starts beginning of 2005... if i'm still around, i'll post pics then...
Old 08-27-2004, 09:53 AM
Intermediate

Nobody has ever changed their shocks??????????????
Old 08-27-2004, 10:12 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
there are members here who changed their shocks i just can't remember who it was. i remember one person though, which is a girl, who doesnt post here anymore changed her shocks when she purchased the ground control coilovers. she said it started to squeek so she changed them.

if you want to change your shocks, you'll have to go with the applications made for the accord. there are no applications for the TL. i hear koni yellows go great with eibach springs for our cars.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:43 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
what model and years accord parts fit the 2.5TL? i would love to find out about sway bars too.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:56 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by memphisraines26
what model and years accord parts fit the 2.5TL? i would love to find out about sway bars too.
I just ordered some front struts for a 1997 Honda Accord V6 to use on my 2.5TL
Old 08-29-2004, 12:21 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I put Tokico Blue '97 Accord V6 struts on my '96 TL 2.5 and they work well. Definitely more controlled than my stock struts at 78,000 mi. but still comfortable rolling on seventeens. Also nice is that the struts alone lower ride height about 1". I've had them on for about 10,000 mi. now. When I replaced them about a year ago it was hard to get any definitive information. For the 2.5, this works. I hope that helps.
Old 08-29-2004, 02:17 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
anyone know about the tein stuff? I would like to get some tein drop spring or full suspension swap and just checking if the 97 accord should fit right? anyone every get part numbers to cross check the honda model cars to see what is the same?
Old 08-29-2004, 11:27 PM
LDH
I

2.5 TL 's can use any 5th generation accord v6 strut. I believe the springs are the same as the wagon though. For 3.2's I haven't been able to find out which one works. But I think the 2nd gen TL's and 6th generation accord is the closest.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:55 PM
Cruisin'

I'm in the process of putting in B+G Coilovers for my 3.2. Replacing the springs/struts is pretty easy, just takes a little sweat and some patience. You need to have a spring compressor to get the dampener out of the old spring assembly....air tools really help. Taking out the back seat is a little difficult, but all you need is a 10 mm socket with an extension. There is a bolt on the drivers side, down by the seat belt receptacle, between the seat and back rest. Take it out and pull up on the back rest...just becareful so you don't scratch your seat leather with the clips on the bottom of the back rest. Let me know if you need anything else and info where I got the coilovers.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:43 PM
Safety Car

those coils aint cheap. they're like 1200-1500 or so right? this site sells them
Old 08-31-2004, 01:46 PM
Cruisin'

Any of you guys out there with a first gen 3.2 have koni's? Or ANY aftermarket struts for a 1st gen 3.2? I can't find them anywhere...
Old 08-31-2004, 02:04 PM
Safety Car

find struts for the legend, it should fit your car.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:50 PM
Cruisin'

They were 1095 with shipping. Not cheap, but when figuring new shocks and then springs it's not much difference.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:55 AM
2.5 TL ART

HEY GUYS, I NEED HELP

I've been all through this forum trying to decide which struts to replace stock with.
I'm not going for a "lowered car" look, just stock struts are worn out, and need something better
than like Sears crappy "monroe" shocks or whatever.

I have a '96 2.5 TL
and I've seen people saying '97 Honda Accord struts fit, '95 Legend struts, and '97 Acura CL struts
I would like to know for sure which one, if any of those work.
I've got 186K and need some bad, so if anyone can help that'd be great.

Also, curious, is it absolutely neccessary to replace the springs, or can I reuse stock springs?
Old 10-25-2004, 02:55 PM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

Ok... the post that i posted above is from when i first joined... i'm still contemplating on hydros... first i think i have to drop it because it looks like a truck... just thought i'd clarify that...

Ok on topic: Dealership will get you the stock struts... but like everyone says, they will charge you an arm a a leg... As far as my research on this topic is... i'm still looking for struts myself... it is recommended that when you change your struts to change your springs too... Why??? because your springs have gone through some wear and have loosened up a bit... in other words, the springs have actually lowered a bit... (Don't know the technical word for that ) Like you said you don't want the crappy sears shocks... so here's a link to some Sprint shocks and Tokico shocks... Click Here... I havn't gotten them yet but plan to... Just waiting for my cash flow to increase...

Edit:
(Don't know what the technical word for that )
About what i quoted myself on... the technical but garage slang i was thinking of is... SAG... your springs have a bit of Sag because of the wear... thats why its recommended...
Old 10-26-2004, 12:16 AM
Attorney- Will Sue 4 Food

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a 3.2 TL and I know that you can get aftermarket struts. A shop called jotech in garland, tx is gonna install tokico struts plus eibach prokit for round $675 installed.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:06 AM
2.5 TL ART

OK, well would anyone know , or know where to find instructions to replace the struts myself?

And would I need any other special tools other than a spring compressor?

Secondly, I think I read somewhere that to get to the rear struts you must remove the rear seat?

I would like to do the job myself, as I do most the work on my car myself minus major engine work, but is it really more a pain in the ass than it's worth?

And see what you think about these struts:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33590

And no one replied to my question on which model car struts to get, whether it be an Accord, Legend, or 1st gen CL .

Thanks for all of you all's time...
Old 10-26-2004, 12:01 PM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

Originally Posted by ride'n96TL
And no one replied to my question on which model car struts to get, whether it be an Accord, Legend, or 1st gen CL .

Thanks for all of you all's time...
Click Here...

I didn't answer to it because i gave you shocks for the TL...
But i'm thinking it has to be the 96 or 97 accord... I don't want to lead you the wrong way though so i'll say this... i really ...
Old 10-26-2004, 03:59 PM
LDH
I

To change the suspension you'll need a spring compressor and an impact gun. some anti-seize for the bolts to make it easy for next time. It can be done by hand but trust me you dont want to. A friend to help is a must for this...it's too hard to do on your own. I hope your working with aftermarket springs and not oem. it'll allow you to move it around after you've assembled it if its an aftermarket spring. If its oem you have to get it perfect to work.

the struts you linked are off of a legend as for the shocks gr-2's make great oem replacements. I have a set on my accord that i probably already blew because it's riding so low.

I'm not sure if legend struts will work for a 3.2TL. The 2.5 supposedly uses a 90-97 accord suspension. The 3.2 supposedly uses a 98-02 accord suspension...which is the same as a 2nd gen tl. The link that spooky gave has the part numbers for a 98-02 accord. But that site also says tl's are coupe. Oulaw was going to get that suspension installed on his car a while back and i asked him to post the parts number and it was also for a 98-02 accord. I'm just telling you thing's i've noticed in the past...you can decide what your going to go with because i don't want to be responsible if something doesnt fit. Also since no one has confirmed it by actually installing it we wouldn't know what actually does fit.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:04 PM
WDP- lovin' every minute!

totally ignorant.....

im totally ignorant to the suspension.. i know what teh springs are but i have no clue what's the difference between shocks struts and camber kit?? sorry for the stupid question im a slight noobie... any enlightenment o nthe subject would be appreciated
Old 10-26-2004, 10:14 PM
LDH
I

Originally Posted by cali2.5tl
im totally ignorant to the suspension.. i know what teh springs are but i have no clue what's the difference between shocks struts and camber kit?? sorry for the stupid question im a slight noobie... any enlightenment o nthe subject would be appreciated
our cars use struts and trucks use shocks and the difference is...I don't know. a camber kit can be a Upper control arm camber kit which replaces your entire control arm and has a sliding ball joint. Then there the anchor bolt camber kit which is the part that connects your upper control arm to your car. And the last kind would be a ball joint camber kit which holds your upper control arm to the knuckle. All 3 of those basically slide around to to add + camber. To balance out the - camber from a drop. This is all so your wheels straighten out and there is less wear on the tires. Having tire like this / \ isnt good for lasting long. But after a drop you should always get an alignment because toe is the true killer of tires. The good thing about toe is it makes your car handle great
Old 02-23-2005, 05:19 PM
3rd Gear

Question

Originally Posted by monkeybutt
I put Tokico Blue '97 Accord V6 struts on my '96 TL 2.5 and they work well. Definitely more controlled than my stock struts at 78,000 mi. but still comfortable rolling on seventeens. Also nice is that the struts alone lower ride height about 1". I've had them on for about 10,000 mi. now. When I replaced them about a year ago it was hard to get any definitive information. For the 2.5, this works. I hope that helps.
Did you compare the original strut to the new one? did the car lower !" because the spring support section of the strut is 1" lower on the honda part? How is your alignment? does the car run straight as it did before the work? has the alignment been checkout at a shop? Did you change out all 4 struts? I would like to replace my rear struts because one is broke...but would like a more cost effective alternative than the OEM part from the dealer.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:27 PM
3rd Gear

Question

Originally Posted by my96_2.5TL
I just ordered some front struts for a 1997 Honda Accord V6 to use on my 2.5TL
How did this work out for you? Is the ride hight the same? Did you do the work yourself?
Old 02-24-2005, 07:08 AM
2.5 TL ART

Plz help us find struts!!!!!!!!!!!11

I would also like to know the end result of this thread. I hope someone can reply with some valuable knowledge about what to do about replacing struts on our 2.5's.

There's another thread on this, and it seems no one can come up with any answers except possibly the Koni Yellows, but I think even that is just for the 3.2.

If indeed someone has fitted '97 accord struts to thier 2.5 please respond with some "ride" feedback.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:10 AM
Registered Driver

If someone oes pick up a set, it would be awesome to have some install pictures in case the rest of us want to copy you . I don't know of anyplace around here who would install new springs/struts around ehre.