RL w/ Bose and Nav Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 07:52 PM
That's what she said!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RL w/ Bose and Nav Question

Hi all, on my '04 RL w/ Bose and Nav, I was wondering does the deck output a level signal w/ no EQ or crossing? If I tapped this before the amp is it a full range signal? I was hoping I wouldn't need a sophisticated summing piece like a Rockford 3Sixty or JL Cleansweep. I would like to keep us simple with a 4 channel LOC. If you have any info please let me know!
Old 03-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
I think its a line level to the amplifier, but it is definately equalized. I think this is the headunits doing and not the amplifier. I could be wrong though.

I personally have a cleansweep but have yet to install as its part of a overly complicated install. (retaining nav prompts and bluetooth handsfree)
Old 03-19-2010, 07:34 AM
That's what she said!

Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH
I think its a line level to the amplifier, but it is definately equalized. I think this is the headunits doing and not the amplifier. I could be wrong though.

I personally have a cleansweep but have yet to install as its part of a overly complicated install. (retaining nav prompts and bluetooth handsfree)
So your saying by bypassing the factory amp I am going to be losing my nav prompts and bluetooth? I'm assuming that if this is true these signals are interfaced with the amp and not the headunit, thus, bypassing it I would lose those sounds. If I wanted to keep the prompts and bluetooth I would need something with internal summing and connect it after the bose amp? I was really hoping to eliminate that from the equation.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

No I'm sorry. In my case its that way because Ive added lcd headrests/dvd player/aux inputs etc etc.

Since you are keeping your oem headunit you will not be losing any voice prompts etc.

If you are just going to run a different amplifier with different speakers then you will be fine.

I do beleie the headunit does some equalization though. You can definately tell from the bass at low and high volume that its is altered.

The signals to the amp from the headunit I beleive to be a full range low level (rca) signal.
so in theory you could simply connect rca type plugs at the end of the leads and plug into your aftermarket amp.
You would need to verify that it is in fact a low level signal and not a speaker level.

I take it you just want to swap out speakers and amplifier from the oem Bose to omething else, correct?
Old 03-19-2010, 08:00 AM
That's what she said!

No I'm sorry. In my case its that way because Ive added lcd headrests/dvd player/aux inputs etc etc.

Since you are keeping your oem headunit you will not be losing any voice prompts etc.

If you are just going to run a different amplifier with different speakers then you will be fine.

I do beleie the headunit does some equalization though. You can definately tell from the bass at low and high volume that its is altered.

The signals to the amp from the headunit I beleive to be a full range low level (rca) signal.
so in theory you could simply connect rca type plugs at the end of the leads and plug into your aftermarket amp.
You would need to verify that it is in fact a low level signal and not a speaker level.

I take it you just want to swap out speakers and amplifier from the oem Bose to omething else, correct?
I was thinking I would probably run a 4 channel LOC to a dash mount x-over/eq that I would mount either in the glove box or center console. Yes, I have an older Soundstream 4 channel that I would love to install as my full range amp and replace the speakers as well. I would also be installing a 12" Sub in in simple box in the trunk.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

going to run that soundstream at 2 ohms? theres plenty of speakers in the RL lol.

what kind of crossover you going to use?

sounds like a decent plan, just remeber to verify wether or not the speaker outputs from the radio are low or high. might not ned that loc, but you never know. I personally have yet to install the rest of my system, including the JL cleansweep.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:41 PM
That's what she said!

going to run that soundstream at 2 ohms? theres plenty of speakers in the RL lol.

what kind of crossover you going to use?

sounds like a decent plan, just remeber to verify wether or not the speaker outputs from the radio are low or high. might not ned that loc, but you never know. I personally have yet to install the rest of my system, including the JL cleansweep.
Well I was going to run the front components stereo from the amp, and run rear coaxials from the amp. I wasn't planning on using the rear 6x9's, as I understand they are the "subwoofers" in the Bose system so they would be removed. My seperate sub amp would be used on the 12 in the trunk. What do you think?
Old 03-19-2010, 03:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

yes the 6x9's are the subwoofers of the system.

the speakers in the rear doors are really low. If you only use those then when someone sits in the back you won't hear anything coming from the rear. It'll sound muffled or low in the back as well.

it's not a bad plan, but you will take a kit from lack of sound from the rear.

I'm personally putting some decent 3 way 6x9's back there and components in the front and a 2 way in the door.

6x9's and the 2 ways will be rear and of course the front components will be the front. I'm personally using 2 4 channel amps and running the extra channel of one of the amps to a 10" sub.

nothing wrong with your plan though.

I rather have the sound bounce off the rear winshield and then be directed forward thatn firing into my kids legs.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:10 PM
That's what she said!

yes the 6x9's are the subwoofers of the system.

the speakers in the rear doors are really low. If you only use those then when someone sits in the back you won't hear anything coming from the rear. It'll sound muffled or low in the back as well.

it's not a bad plan, but you will take a kit from lack of sound from the rear.

I'm personally putting some decent 3 way 6x9's back there and components in the front and a 2 way in the door.

6x9's and the 2 ways will be rear and of course the front components will be the front. I'm personally using 2 4 channel amps and running the extra channel of one of the amps to a 10" sub.

nothing wrong with your plan though.

I rather have the sound bounce off the rear winshield and then be directed forward thatn firing into my kids legs.
Good point... Maybe I'll work the other way around. I could not use the rear door speakers and install 6x9 to 6.5" adapters in the rear deck to install coaxials in the rear. I've never really been a big fan of rear-fill or 6x9's for that matter. I have built systems in several cars w/o rear fill, as long as it's eq'd and crossed correctly you wont notice the lack of sound from the rear. With the RL being so large tho, it might make sense to have some back there and just keep the gains down.