Replacing ball joints on a '04 RL

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 01:54 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Replacing ball joints on a '04 RL

Can someone please help me out with this one... I recently took my RL in for an oil change, to have my brakes looked at, my SRS was staying on, and I kept hear a slight rattle sound whenever I hit a bump. So I talked to the repair depertment at Park Acura here in Akron Ohio and was told that my brakes were ok the problem was some clamp. My SRS was fixed due to a known problem that Acura will fix for free. Now here is the problem they are claiming that I need new ball joints on both sides since they are loose ($600). Now I had previously brought in my car before because I kept hearing a rattle noise form the passenger front.. Park Acura could never properly diagnose the problem, therefore I contacted Acura Corp whom in turn contacted Park Acura to work out whatever it was that was wrong (apparently they did not)...also keep in mind that I had brought the car not exactly 2 years ago and it it still under the extended warranty I purchased when I got the car. I am wondering if reparing the ball joints would be under the extended warrany?
Old 09-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Instructor

Ok so I contacted the dealership and told them that this should be covered under Acura care and low and behold it is! So if I didn't assert the fact that I had Acura Care then they would have had me pay the $600 plus for the work....sad......sad...the system should be setup that they tell you that you vehicle is covered no the other way around.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same exact problem. I took mine back and AcuraCare covered it. they replaced my left side ball joint and lower control arm
Old 09-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Instructor

yup it's pretty interesting that the dealership didn;t see that I had Acura care esp since I purchased my car from the same dealership. I wonder if the clicking noise i hear from my passenger front area is my control or or whatever. I took my car in about 3 times within 6 months of purchasing it and they couldnt really diagnose this problem. I got so pissed that I called Acura ended up in a paid customer service group and had acura contact my dealership regarding my issue. Now I hear the clicking again as well as a funny trigger noise when I open my car doors using he remote entry device.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Advanced

Do you hear the clicking sound only when turning ? ? ? or when you hit the brakes, or does it do it all the time ? ? The trigger noise may be one of your door locks......
Old 09-12-2008, 09:20 AM
Instructor

I hear the clicking everytime I turn it's coming from the passenger front side. Park Acura here in Akron Ohio claim that they cant figure out what is wrong. I think it's something to do with the suspension. The trigger noise is most defintely coming form my driver side lock I think they need to replace something in regards to the door lock I will have them look into that this weekend also.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:07 AM
Advanced

I can almost guarantee the clicking noise is your CV boot on your passenger side axle. Very common problem in all cars. Dont understand why your acura dealer didn't even suggest that..... I'm beginning to wonder why are they even called "certified Acura technicians"
Old 09-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BelowRadar
I can almost guarantee the clicking noise is your CV boot on your passenger side axle. Very common problem in all cars. Dont understand why your acura dealer didn't even suggest that..... I'm beginning to wonder why are they even called "certified Acura technicians"
Thanks alot I will suggest that to them when I come in to have the ball joints repaired. I also don't know why they are called certified technicians they fixed a clip on my brakes that was causing a squeak sound when I drove. Only thing is by the time I got home the squeaking started again. Now they stated that they clip was old and they will replace it for free whne I come back in for the ball joints. I keep getting mail offers from companies that offer extended warranties I think I might research this avenue so that once my Acura care ends I can still be covered because I don't trust the dealership's technicians.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:47 PM
Advanced

I understand about the brakes. My brakes clicked for a while. I cheat though for I have a mechanic who has been working on Honda/Acura for almost 20 years. He just open his own shop a couple years ago, so I take it to him, he diagnoses it, tell me what Acura should and shouldn't cover under Acura Care, then I make the appointment at the Acura dealer for the warranty work. I know Acura doesn't like it, because i don't pay the outrageous fees at the dealer, but I flat out don't trust them. I'm gonna be in a world of hurt though when my Acura Care warranty expires next year
Old 09-16-2008, 07:44 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BelowRadar
I understand about the brakes. My brakes clicked for a while. I cheat though for I have a mechanic who has been working on Honda/Acura for almost 20 years. He just open his own shop a couple years ago, so I take it to him, he diagnoses it, tell me what Acura should and shouldn't cover under Acura Care, then I make the appointment at the Acura dealer for the warranty work. I know Acura doesn't like it, because i don't pay the outrageous fees at the dealer, but I flat out don't trust them. I'm gonna be in a world of hurt though when my Acura Care warranty expires next year
That's why I am looking into on of those third party extended warranties fron=m a reptuable company. I know that some repair shops will have you pay out of pocket for the work being done and have the extended warranty company reimburse me.... this is better than straight up paying out of pocket.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:21 PM
Advanced

clicking brakes

By the way, I'm curious to what the Acura dealer did and said about your brakes clicking. My mechanic replaced the clips, messed with my rotors and pads. ( I don't exactly know what he did, but it stopped it) He said it took him about 2 days, but it stopped. One thing I have noticed about Honda/Acura is that they put under sized brakes on their cars. I have even contemplated putting a brembo brake kit on my RL. Problem is I don't think they make one, and it probably wouldn't be worth the cost. I put Power Slot slotted rotors and performance pads on my civic, that made a world of difference, but haven't seen the same brand for the RL.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:38 AM
Instructor

They replaced the clips iwht "used ones" and on my ride home for the dealership they were making noise again. So I went back this past Saturday and they said that they would put on new clips once they come in (had to order them). I am having the new clips out on the same time that they replace the ball joints. They told me that one ball joint came in and that they are waiting for the other. I don't know why it is taking a week for these parts to come in.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:10 PM
1st Gear

Finally fixed

FYI,

I had the same issue when braking and turning. I had my car at the dealer for a month, finally they called Acura and got it resolved. They removed the entire suspension and re-installed - this after they replaced the upper and lower control arms, incl. ball joints, and wheel bearings on both R and L sides. Insist they call Acura to get it resolved - all of mine was covered under warranty, been having the issue since 36000 mi.