My Friends first day owning a 1st gen RL, with a not so great ending.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 08:20 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Unhappy My Friends first day owning a 1st gen RL, with a not so great ending.

So as the title says my friend bought a 2000 with Nav with 227k on it via craigslist. It only needed a few things to pass inspection. The first visit was on Sunday and everything checked out good. We didn't have the chance to hear it run but the underside was in amazing condition.

The rims are absolute junk. But the body is in decent shape
My Friends first day owning a 1st gen RL, with a not so great ending.-xc61kvyl.jpg
He already found a new fender for ~240 in the correct color to replace this one.
My Friends first day owning a 1st gen RL, with a not so great ending.-ip1rmxil.jpg
The back had some stickers but still pretty good condition.
My Friends first day owning a 1st gen RL, with a not so great ending.-a12krqcl.jpg
The underside of this was amazing for up here. The owner says he brought it from Arizona!
My Friends first day owning a 1st gen RL, with a not so great ending.-wpwtm60l.jpg

And of course we had to get one together

My Friends first day owning a 1st gen RL, with a not so great ending.-l2qluykl.jpg

The first trip ended in being somewhat dissapointing. Didn't have the chance to hear it run, didn't get to see inside it, and the trip was 170 miles round. Today's trip however was quite different.

We left at 8AM this morning and didn't get back until 8PM tonight. Here's a little summary of our adventure.

10:00: Arrive at destination, see the cars still there (now with a flat one of the tires had a bad bead)

10:15: Speak with a guy who turns out to be the father in law. Doesn't have the keys and the wife of his son wont be by till 12.

10:30: Instead of sitting and waiting we headed out and found a shop to get my car an inspection as I was due in September.

12:00 Head back to the car and the owners wife arrives. First thing she says is the plates on the car need to come off. (Initially the husband said we could use the plates to go home). Says we have to go get transit plates.

The car actually ran great, idled right where it should be, no sputters no weird noises and shifted into gear fine. He knew at that point he wanted it.

12:45 Money and title are exchanged, next stop the local DMV. The wife was generous enough to lead us.

3:15 We finally leave the DMV with the plate in hand.

3:30 Before heading back down the highway we pit stopped at a car wash to give the car a well deserved wash. Ran perfectly fine at this point, but there was a noticeable thump from the wheel bearings.

4:00 Comes around and where finally ready to hit the highway. The entire trip is ~70 miles of highway and we made it through the first 50 smoothly.

5:15 My other friend and I followed in my RL, during our travels a GM truck cut between us and we noticed a burning smell at roughly the same time. The truck finally moved out of our lane but the smell was still there so we signaled figured it hadn't been the truck but the new RL. We signaled for him to pull over.

Here's where everything goes to hell.

First thing we did was pop the hood but everything looked fine. No leaks, no excessive heat. Nothing wrong at all except for a odd smell that we discerned as a byproduct of the dying wheel bearings. Decide to keep moving as we were 20 miles from home. We go to take off and the car just says NOPE.

-Engine was where it should be
-Transmission engaged and disengaged no issues
- Car would not budge at all.

Figured it was perhaps a sticky caliper so gave it some gas and it lugged forward with a lurch. At this point we had no idea what to do other than call AAA so we did. The first tow truck arrived at 6 but it was the kind that only raises the front end. The driver says it would be best to have a flat bed and takes off. We were stuck there until 6:45.

During the time however we let the car cool and tried to move it. This went as followed

-Started up fine.
-Transmission engaged to D4
-Applied gas car moved but lurching and bouncing slightly as if the brakes were stuck but could be forced to move.
-Tested reverse to the same result except in opposite direction.

At this point we believe a wheel bearing may have welded itself due to excessive heat.

Skip ahead 2 more hours we finally arrive home. The car ended up being towed by the flatbed the final 22 miles. Of course the car was stuck on the titled bed so my friend (the new owner) had to get in put it in gear and drive it off. The car made the same horrible lurching noises as before and ended up bottoming out the front bumper.

My friend is very technical and knows quite a bit about vehicles (he taught me nearly everything I know). But he isn't quite sure what to do. He's thinking seized wheel bearing, to worst case scenario of a burnt tranny. Any ideas?

Additional details
-Both axles refused to turn over but would with force
-Tranny engaged fine
-Engine ran great, plenty of power for 227k.
-When the car moved it made grinding noises as if rubbing rough metal on metal similar
Old 10-16-2013, 06:27 PM
Cash Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Hmm, just curious. Is there any specific reason why you don't believe it to be a stuck caliper? Did you jack it up and look at all the rotors and pads carefully?
Old 10-16-2013, 07:05 PM
Racer

One of the first things I checked when we stopped it was the temp of the calipers. I've had 3 stick in mine so I'm quite used to the symptoms at this point. Both of his front calipers and rotors were warm but nothing above the typical temps.

It seems possible the differential may have had a missing tooth which caused the thump noise initially before we left. He's going to drain the differential fluid tomorrow to check for metal bits.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:57 PM
Racer

Here's a video of an almost identical problem the RL is having now.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:54 PM
2004 Carbon Gray 3.5RL

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
I'm interested and curious to see how things work out on this. I'm surprised you guys also didn't get it inspected while being up there. Might have helped this matter.

Sorry to hear about this, but best of luck!
Old 10-17-2013, 07:16 PM
Racer

Little update. He removed the CV axle and it seems to be the differential is the culprit. The differential was also dry as a bone so its going to need to be replaced. Anyone know where to buy one?
Old 10-18-2013, 09:12 AM
Racer

Blackhatch we didn't get the car inspected because it had no power steering. He knew it had issues but nothing as big as this one. It's not too bad of a deal for 1200 though.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unless you want to pay through the nose, the best place to get a differential is probably a parts yard where you can pick your own. It also looks like you can pick one up on ebay for less than 250$ but the only difference between that and going to a pick a part yard is that they already found and pulled it for you which is a plus

Last edited by OhaiOh; 10-18-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:05 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is my RL, ordered a differential from new york with 70k for 200$ shipping included (Eddie called around and found it) so just waiting for that to come in, sucks having an rl in my driveway that i cant even drive, but it will make it even more worth it in the end, ive already bought both front wheel bearings, ordered the cv shafts, ordered the front differential and i have to order tie rods so basically my front end will be like new will post an update as it gets fixed
Old 10-19-2013, 08:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like you found a pretty decent deal, best of luck to you!
Old 10-26-2013, 06:39 PM
Cruisin'

differential came in, sending to shop to get it installed tomorrow hopefully shes as right as rain afterwards, im replacing the differential, both cv shafts, wheel bearings, tie rods and having an alignment done, may as well do it all at once!
Old 10-28-2013, 03:29 PM
2004 Carbon Gray 3.5RL

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
If you do the diff install, do a DIY as well with pictures if you want. it's make a good addition on here if there isn't one on here already.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:56 PM
Cruisin'

I'd install it myself but my sisters pos ford focus is on my lift at the moment and I work a lot so I might just bite the bullet and have someone else do it but if I decide to do it myself ill definitely do a write up
Old 11-22-2013, 07:52 PM
Cruisin'

So registered my rl and took her for a drive today!, vsa light comes on die to a bad speed sensor but other than that perfection!