Have any of you replaced your steering racks? and headlight light advice.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 01:06 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have any of you replaced your steering racks? and headlight light advice.

I have an 1997 Acura rl and my steering rack is leaking slowly, have any of you replaced the steering rack on your RL? My friend told me that with a steering rack you always wanna go new but I am beginning to think they are rare to find and uber expensive, Acura and Acura oem sell them but I really think that those are re manufactured.
Auto zone sells an Duralast steering rack, I think those are made by atsco, they ask for $439.99 with the core trade in or $620 up front.
Rock auto online carries the A1 cardone $317.7 trade in or $517.79 up front.
acdelco one is $489.89 trade in and $664.89 up front.
I looked at my local junk yard but I have yet to see an Rl there.
There's always ebay but since they sell so many steering racks and boots for so many vehicle there's a chance they will try to sell me one that is not exactly for my car but that could work with modifications (wrong turning radius ect).

My other question is I been using Sylvania brigtstar ultra high performance but I seem to only get about a year outta them but one just burned out. I love the brightness and how it doesn't blind people like the people that don't switch to hid the proper way. I would like to know if there's any other brand that makes lights for my car that could be comparable to the brightstar but with a longer lifespan?
btw I didn't touch the light, I used gloves to carefully install them and made sure the glass part didn't make contact with anything.
Something that is avaliable everywhere would be nice since I don't want to get pulled over, one burned out today when I turned them on when I got out of work at 7.30 Pm. I managed to get by using the fog lights too, but the one on the opposite side burnt today also.
Any recommendations on the fog light? I wish they sold stronger ones too, something a little more yellower and brighter. Would it look bad or bring unnecessary attention from the law enforcement going with yellower or stronger fog lights?
I looked at hid's but unless it's done right it blinds other drivers, it's also borderline illegal if they are not oem and getting them to be passable would be quite a bit expensive if you wanna do it the right way, aka baking the headlights, separating it, then getting rid of the reflective portion of the housing, saw a video on it on you tube providing you have someone else do the manual labor if you have unskilled hands for it.

I considered moving up to something slightly newer but I still think that at 144k miles I can still get quite a bit more time outta this car and the used market for the rl is a little bit iffy atm, could get rid of mine to inherit someone else problems.

So guys tell me what you think.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
I have have a 96Rl with 165k on it and the steering rack doesn't leak so I don't know much about it. I guess it better to get the one from autozone since you don't have the ship the old one in. Beside Duralast is a pretty good brand man.
For the headlight, I have a retrofitted So anyway my old bulbs were XENON something, I couldn't remember what brand is it. But it was bright and last a long time. Just buy regular Sylvania and H1 for your high beam lol.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
where is it leaking from? If it's from the hardlines they can be cleaned and tightened.

if it's from the ends I believe you can just purchase the seals yourself and take apart. It's alot less than a new or reman rack if you do the work yourself.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
I wonder if the 1st gen TL steering rack could be retrofitted.. it has much better feel
Old 10-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH
where is it leaking from? If it's from the hardlines they can be cleaned and tightened.

if it's from the ends I believe you can just purchase the seals yourself and take apart. It's alot less than a new or reman rack if you do the work yourself.
Well here's the thing, I first noticed something was wrong when I turned the wheel one day and it felt like it got disconnected for about 1 million of a second, like there was air in the steering column, my mechanic drove it and told me it was the steering rack going. Had a wheel speed sensor done at the dealer and they did a complimentary check and found it was leaking slowly, they didn't specify where but I guess they found liquid residue in the floor.

About a TL steering rack I wouldn't mess with one of those, they have a bigger turn radius which could lead to the wheel hitting the inside since it's able to turn more.

I would do this job myself but I like in an apartment, so my parking lot is outside in the wide open, I live North East so it's getting really cold and it gets darker earlier and earlier, I also lack some of the tools to do the job.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
No, the 1st gen 3.2 TL actually turns even sharper at 34.8 ft vs. the RL's 36.1 ft

Steering ratio of 15.7:1 in the 3.2 TL and 16.0:1 in the RL

Last edited by Ken1997TL; 10-24-2010 at 04:31 PM.