Erratic Fuel Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010 | 08:52 AM
99 RL

Erratic Fuel Gauge

Hi,
Lately my 99 RL fuel gauge has been fluctuating from the actual level to full and back. I currently have about a quarter of fuel right now, but when I am driving, the gauge goes up to full and stay there for a while and then starts falling to the actual level. It does this over and over again. Does anyone have an idea of what is going on and how to fix it? Thanks.
Old 02-12-2010 | 05:39 PM
Instructor

If the 1st Gen RL is like most fuel indicating systems it has the gauge in the dashboard and a sending unit in the fuel tank. The sending unit in the tank senses the fuel level in the tank and sends a signal to the gauge which should move your needle to the corresponding level. Sounds like the tank sending unit is working intermittently or it may have a defective connection to the unit it's self. That may be why it will give you correct readings at some times and incorrect at others. As the fuel level in the tank changes it is moving the connection around giving you "squirrelly" readings. These are "assumptions" on my part. Others may disagree with me. I base these ideas on my past experiences with other vehicles over the past 40 years.
Old 02-12-2010 | 07:09 PM
99 RL

Thanks for your insight. What would be the fix for this?

Originally Posted by 2000RL
If the 1st Gen RL is like most fuel indicating systems it has the gauge in the dashboard and a sending unit in the fuel tank. The sending unit in the tank senses the fuel level in the tank and sends a signal to the gauge which should move your needle to the corresponding level. Sounds like the tank sending unit is working intermittently or it may have a defective connection to the unit it's self. That may be why it will give you correct readings at some times and incorrect at others. As the fuel level in the tank changes it is moving the connection around giving you "squirrelly" readings. These are "assumptions" on my part. Others may disagree with me. I base these ideas on my past experiences with other vehicles over the past 40 years.
Old 02-13-2010 | 07:31 AM
Instructor

If it was me I would take it to a shop. It is a fairly common problem and they have the tools and expertise to resolve the problem quickly. If you are used to doing your own work buy a shop manual and trouble shoot it yourself. If money is tight fill the tank full of gas and monitor you mileage so you know when it's time to fill up again. Trouble shooting electrical problems can be a nightmare if you don't have the requisite tools and knowledge. Good luck.
Old 02-18-2010 | 08:56 PM
99 RL

Well, I called an Acura dealer today and explained my situation. He said I have to bring it in for diagnosis and that would be $120. LOL. So if I pay $120 for diagnosis, what would be the actual cost of fixing the problem?

Originally Posted by 2000RL
If it was me I would take it to a shop. It is a fairly common problem and they have the tools and expertise to resolve the problem quickly. If you are used to doing your own work buy a shop manual and trouble shoot it yourself. If money is tight fill the tank full of gas and monitor you mileage so you know when it's time to fill up again. Trouble shooting electrical problems can be a nightmare if you don't have the requisite tools and knowledge. Good luck.