Engine randomly dying?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014 | 12:19 AM
'97 KA9

Engine randomly dying?

Hey everyone,
I have a 1997 RL and last night when I was driving home, I let off the accelerator and my car died.

At the time, I had my sound system bumping (possible relevance?) and thought maybe that I was drawing too much power which made the battery die, therefore the engine dying. I noticed all the lights flickered when the engine died. I was sitting in a parking lot with my accessories on while talking to a friend for about an hour at the time. My car started right back up after that and I drove it home with no problems.

Now, today she has been running fine. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary all day until I drove my car tonight. Again, I had my sound system playing medium volume and bass bumping. I let off the accelerator as I came to a stoplight and the car died. Only this time, it didn't start back up. The engine would turn over, but it acted like it was not getting any gas. After a couple minutes it ended up starting back up (I was pumping the accelerator as I was starting to no avail for the first few minutes).

Any idea what the problem could be?
Old 03-21-2014 | 12:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Your alternator might not be powerful enough.

You might have bad spark plugs. Bad relay?

Lots of things could be at fault. Take it to a mechanic!
The following users liked this post:
Refined Luxury (03-21-2014)
Old 03-21-2014 | 12:27 AM
'97 KA9

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Your alternator might not be powerful enough.

You might have bad spark plugs. Bad relay?

Lots of things could be at fault. Take it to a mechanic!
Yeah, I figured it could be a lot of things, but I thought I might stop here first for some possible things to mention! I was thinking fuel pump or filter.

I'm starting to doubt the sound system part of it because it was installed in July and I have had ZERO problems with my car since it was put in...until now.
Old 03-21-2014 | 12:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Ahh ok. It could very well be a fuel issue, hard to diagnose these things remotely unfortunately.
Old 04-21-2014 | 09:31 PM
10th Gear

I had a similar situation happen to me.. Check your main fuel pump relay
Old 04-22-2014 | 12:53 PM
Instructor

check the easy stuff first, like make sure the battery is connected tight, i had a loose ground and it would give me similar symptoms, i would also check for a ring of foamy corrosion around the batt terminals, sometimes there is enough of a ring to prevent the car from getting good voltage...

if these dont fix it, then i would check your fuses, and even your trans fluid level. I had low trans fluid and my car would stall out, it would give me unrelated check engine lights...

if this still doesnt fix things then i would have the battery and alternator tested, and maybe spend the roughly $50 bux and get yourself a new main relay.
Old 04-28-2014 | 07:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

yup start easy. look at plugs, broken hoses etc. You know all the stuff you can do for free. If theres no check engine light on then make sure your car is tuned up.
Old 04-30-2014 | 08:18 PM
'97 KA9

Just thought I would update since this is getting a little more attention.

My intake boot was torn and there were massive amounts of carbon deposits. Had that replaced and had the deposits cleaned out. Everything was going swimmingly until last week. Dad was driving my car since he was in process of buying a new car after he got his totaled. Wouldn't start at all. My car is back in the shop and they are saying faulty fuel pump. Already $400+ down the hole. I'll know more in the next day or so of what is actually going on since I'm up at school.

Last edited by Refined Luxury; 04-30-2014 at 08:19 PM. Reason: adding tidbits of info
Old 05-08-2014 | 03:35 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by KA9
Just thought I would update since this is getting a little more attention.

My intake boot was torn and there were massive amounts of carbon deposits. Had that replaced and had the deposits cleaned out. Everything was going swimmingly until last week. Dad was driving my car since he was in process of buying a new car after he got his totaled. Wouldn't start at all. My car is back in the shop and they are saying faulty fuel pump. Already $400+ down the hole. I'll know more in the next day or so of what is actually going on since I'm up at school.
That sure sounds like the main PFI relay. A very common problem with Honda's due to cold solder joints. The early ones could be repaired by removing the plastic cover and re-soldering all the connections on the PCB. I'm not sure if newer ones can be opened. A new relay should only be a few dollars and parts stores should stock them. A gold plated Acura part is ~$40.
Old 05-12-2014 | 08:26 PM
'97 KA9

Another update. $1000 for the fuel problem. Shop got it fixed and the car runs swimmingly, except for the fact someone cut my catalytic converter from my car while it was sitting in the shop parking lot... So now my car is still there getting fixed yet again, except they're picking up the tab on my new cat.

I appreciate all of the input I have received. Helps my knowledge if something happens again, but my dad has the f**k it attitude and just paid the bills.

Last edited by Refined Luxury; 05-12-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-12-2014 | 11:15 PM
Advanced

What was the issue (before the CAT went walk-about)?
Old 05-13-2014 | 12:52 AM
'97 KA9

Originally Posted by El-Baz
What was the issue (before the CAT went walk-about)?
The main thing I noticed was my engine dying. Let off the accelerator and my lights flickered and engine died. Started up again fine. Happened the next night only it took about 2 minutes for it to start up (in the middle of the road). Went to downtown Seattle a week later and it was driving swell. Then in the parking garage, engine started and then stalled multiple times. Took a couple tries for it to stay running.

Checked it out myself and found a rat's nest and some chewed wires. Cleaned everything out and taped up the wires. Everything seemed normal, but I wanted to have it looked at just to be sure.

Had it taken into the shop, they replaced the broken intake boot and cleaned the intake from debris getting into it. Drove the car for a few days afterwards and it seemed fine.

Dad was driving the car and it wouldn't start at all. Had to be towed to the shop. Fuel pump problem (among other things with the fuel system). I don't have the paperwork on me so I can't get into the specifics about what all they had replaced fuel system wise, but if you would like, I can update you on that this weekend (hopefully my car should have the CAT replaced by then).
Old 07-23-2014 | 03:36 PM
10th Gear

Denso 056700-9410 Honda part# 397-97-SH2-003 $20 on Ebay for a new one and problem fixed!!!
Old 07-23-2014 | 03:41 PM
10th Gear

This is located in the trunk and is a fuel cut-off relay...so sorry you spent all that money! I would guess that there wasn't anything wrong with your fuel pump and this relay had gone bad exactly why I like to work on my car myself