cleaning sun roof drain

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 04:14 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cleaning sun roof drain

After an ex-tropical storm parked over my area I found my trunk had some water in it. Mostly, it was in the passenger side bin, with just a bit in with the tire.

I diagnosed the drain using a complex tool known as a pitcher and another, equally complex tool, called a "hill."

All of the drains are clear but one, the passenger side c pillar drain runs water right into the trunk.

By wrestling around with the liner, I was able to remove the tube from the port it plugs into in the body, and figured out that the tube isn't the problem, but it is the port it plugs into--water drains very, very slowly from that.

Any ideas on how to clear that out? The port is pretty big (1/4" maybe?), so air seems light it will probably just blow by uselessly. The body masks where the port is on the outside and I don't have a lift, so I'm not really sure what to do.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:17 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
In the service manual it mentions using compressed air to clean them out. Another thing to check that I had a problem with was the rear tail light gaskets. If they become rotted and dried out, then the water flowing past them will dump right into the trunk.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Instructor

Thanks. I guess that means using compressed air from a compressor, not just a can of air because I don't see how I get the can to fit the 1/4" tube. Or maybe some sort of temporary duct tape job that connects the can and the drain tube.

Thanks for the tip about the gaskets, I'll probably check that if I have more problems after I fix this drain.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:30 AM
Instructor

Okay, air + replacement weed wacker wire did the trick on the drains and now I see that the gaskets are a second problem (sigh). Does this DYI look right for a 1G RL?

This also got me wondering about cleaning my headlights. What do people do to get them clear again, mine just started to get a big fogged?
Old 09-23-2011, 01:00 PM
Racer

Pretty much. You just pull back the carpet and the bolts are right there. Shouldnt take more than an hour

As for the headlights, ive seen decent results with those polishes.
The following users liked this post:
pdbailey (09-26-2011)
Old 09-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Instructor

I don't have that handy access panel in the liner (1999). On the passenger side, that is not a problem because I can just remove the plastic bin and then the liner comes right up. On the driver side it is held in with a little black plastic circle that it looks like I will have to break off to get tools in there. However, I was able to get my hand in the driver side there and, after it has been raining hard for hours, there is no dampness there.

Anyways, parts are in the mail and I'm trying out one of the lens cleaning kits too. If that doesn't work it looks to me like Acura doesn't make a part that is just the lens, so I would have to replace the entire headlight unit for $500/side (new). I hope the cleaner works!
Old 09-24-2011, 06:52 AM
Cruisin'

I've tried several headlight restoration kits. The one that worked for me was the 3M. Cost $26 on sale for think $22. Lenses look new on the old 96 Grand Caravan (family truck. I was very surprised how well they came out. . Key is to double tape around lens to protect paint as the abrasive pads will bump up against the paint so you don't want to do damage.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by pdbailey
I don't have that handy access panel in the liner (1999). On the passenger side, that is not a problem because I can just remove the plastic bin and then the liner comes right up. On the driver side it is held in with a little black plastic circle that it looks like I will have to break off to get tools in there. However, I was able to get my hand in the driver side there and, after it has been raining hard for hours, there is no dampness there.

Anyways, parts are in the mail and I'm trying out one of the lens cleaning kits too. If that doesn't work it looks to me like Acura doesn't make a part that is just the lens, so I would have to replace the entire headlight unit for $500/side (new). I hope the cleaner works!
There are no access panels on RLs. The write up you posted was for a Legend. That little black thing is a little push rivet i guess. Just pull it out(use a claw hammer). There is no need to take out that bin either. Just pull out the push rivets and you have access. Ive taken my carpet out of my trunk more times than anyone should ever have to.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:06 PM
Instructor

I used novus 1 then 2 then 1 again and it is okay. From 5 feet away you would not know unless you knew to look for it. If you are standing right over the lens looking down, it still looks bad. Wearing gloves would have been a good idea--now my hands are quite dry from all the scratching.

Right after I was done a neighbor drove by and asked, "new car?" so I guess it isn't looking that bad.

Anyways, thanks for the tips on the trunk fix up I have coming up.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Instructor

For the gasket, it was much easier than I suspected but I have yet to check the brake lights and backup lights. I did destroy the rivet in the process though, so I'll add that to my parts wish list.