99 RL Starts then dies

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2024, 07:33 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 RL Starts then dies

Currently have a 99 RL and I've have thrown so much money at this car 🤷 I'm about to scrap it 😭. Every once in awhile it would die mid drive and would start back up. Now it started acting like it was missing upon acceleration. No miss codes showing, idle control error, replaced that today and now it just dies after 45-2mins. Cold start takes about 3 mins and it shuts off. I see stuff about the ignition switch being the cause. My alternator acted like it went out for about 2 days and started working again idk if this has anything to do with the issue but I need help 😭. This car only has 88k original miles.
Old 06-01-2024, 08:39 PM
Black Ac' Man

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
I'd check the PGM-FI main relay. They go bad a lot and cause random issues like misfires and long starting as well as non-starting. If that doesn't work then check the fuel pump. If that doesn't work then check power and ground connections throughout the car. If that doesn't yield anything, then sadly it appears she will be off to heaven.
Old 06-03-2024, 06:48 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by 1186KA9
I'd check the PGM-FI main relay. They go bad a lot and cause random issues like misfires and long starting as well as non-starting. If that doesn't work then check the fuel pump. If that doesn't work then check power and ground connections throughout the car. If that doesn't yield anything, then sadly it appears she will be off to heaven.
I think I found the problem today when it died on me again, fuel pump resistor located inside the trunk 🤷. I found out when it dies my fuel pump goes quite lol. I hear the relay clicks but no pump. 15 mins later try the car again and fuel pump kicks in and runs fine. It makes sense now when I try to accelerate it's almost like the car is running out of gas 🤦. The resistor is so hot to the touch that I think it's shutting down my fuel pump!
Old 06-03-2024, 06:53 PM
Black Ac' Man

Originally Posted by Honda guy
I think I found the problem today when it died on me again, fuel pump resistor located inside the trunk 🤷. I found out when it dies my fuel pump goes quite lol. I hear the relay clicks but no pump. 15 mins later try the car again and fuel pump kicks in and runs fine. It makes sense now when I try to accelerate it's almost like the car is running out of gas 🤦. The resistor is so hot to the touch that I think it's shutting down my fuel pump!
The main relay will have the same symptoms. The main relay controls the pump. However, I will run the 04' tomorrow and check the temp of the resistor since I have all the carpet out the trunk anyway for cleaning.
Old 06-03-2024, 06:55 PM
9th Gear

The main relay will have the same symptoms. The main relay controls the pump. However, I will run the 04' tomorrow and check the temp of the resistor since I have all the carpet out the trunk anyway for cleaning.
Also found out that that part is discontinued for this car so it looks like it's going to be a eBay scrap find 😳.
Old 06-03-2024, 07:00 PM
Black Ac' Man

Old 06-04-2024, 03:54 PM
Black Ac' Man

I'll check either today or tomorrow. Its on the left side of the trunk right? In between the quarter panel and the piece of steel which the XM unit is bolted to for 04' models?
Old 06-05-2024, 12:51 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Change the fuel pump the fuel pump relay and the main relay and see where you are
in a car with that age they need changing anyway 88 k miles is a steal
what colour is it
Old 06-06-2024, 10:02 PM
9th Gear

Currently running and staying running after I replaced the PGM-FI thanks for the info on this man 💯💯👍.
​​
Old 06-06-2024, 10:04 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Babafats
Change the fuel pump the fuel pump relay and the main relay and see where you are
in a car with that age they need changing anyway 88 k miles is a steal
what colour is it
Dawoe Suncoast Blue 🔵. But I got it running replacing the PGM-FI realy.
​​​​​​