99 Acura RL 3.5 - intermittent limp mode, no codes

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2024, 01:29 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 Acura RL 3.5 - intermittent limp mode, no codes

Hi, I'm new here, just got my first Acura that I'm trying to save from the scrap yard. It is one of 3 registered in Sweden.

Guy I bought it from has had it for 4 years, never had any problems until 2 weeks ago when it would go into limp mode sometimes upon starting the engine. It always starts, runs smoothly on all cylinders, no misfiring. Never runs hot. Gearbox shifts normally even when in limp mode (Up to second at least) until engine limits out at 1500rpm and it starts jumping like a kangaroo if you hold the gas pedal. Wont go faster than 10-15mph.

If you take the keys out and start again it can be normal, and once its started without limp mode it will drive normally no matter how long or fast you drive. Sometimes I had to pull the battery connector to reset the car and it would work for a few days. Unless I insert the key in a different way, then it can go bananas and wont turn the starter over until I tried with the key in and out 5-10 times. And then almost 99% ends up in limp mode.

This car has no OBD2 in the ash tray, so I have shorted the SCS service connector but the check engine, SRS lights etc only light up and doesn't flash as they would in case of a fault code. So I guess no codes stored in the ECU?

I checked the transmission fluid level and it seemed a bit low so going to top that up today and see if it helps.

So my only ideas so far is either transmission fluid level or immobilizer/ignition switch. But it always starts, the limp mode seems to be like a lottery.

Any ideas how to save 33% of all Acura RL's in northern Europe?

Old 07-31-2024, 05:08 AM
Black Ac' Man

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Greetings. First I would try to find the OBD port. It was probably dislodged and lies somewhere around the radio. 2nd, which SCS connector did you jump? There are 2 of them. 3rd, are there any lights at all? Pretty weird that there are no lights on. Lastly, does she have TCS?
Old 07-31-2024, 05:23 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 1186KA9
Greetings. First I would try to find the OBD port. It was probably dislodged and lies somewhere around the radio. 2nd, which SCS connector did you jump? There are 2 of them. 3rd, are there any lights at all? Pretty weird that there are no lights on. Lastly, does she have TCS?
Hi, I shorted the 2 wired one as depicted in a service manual I found on this forum, there mentioned as "SCS service connector", in the same blue plastic mount in the passenger foot well there are two connectors. The other one has 3 wires going into it. When shorting the 2 pin one the ABS, SRS, Check engine lights go on but no flashing. When removing the short they all go out except for Brake warning light and "Brake lamp" light, but the rear right brake pads are really worn out and make a scratching noice when applying the brakes so I guess they cause that light.

The car has a TCS button to the left of the steering wheel, nothing happens when I press it. Cruise control and ABS seems to work.

Im not really sure this car has an OBD2 port at all? I've read a few forums where other also seem to not have one. I admit that seems a bit strange though, this being a "top of the range" vehicle when these entry level Hondas from 95 onwards do have OBD.

I will have a look and see if I can find it though.
Old 07-31-2024, 05:44 AM
Black Ac' Man

Huh. The brake light should not be on. When my brake fluid was low it caused the brake/VSA/TCS light to come on and disable VSA/TCS. Didn't cause limp mode though. All Legend IIIs are OBD-2 from the factory. Sometimes techs will move it somewhere else for easier access. If you hold the TCS switch for a few seconds. The TCS light should come on signaling that the system has been disabled.
Old 07-31-2024, 05:53 AM
4th Gear

Huh. The brake light should not be on. When my brake fluid was low it caused the brake/VSA/TCS light to come on and disable VSA/TCS. Didn't cause limp mode though. All Legend IIIs are OBD-2 from the factory. Sometimes techs will move it somewhere else for easier access. If you hold the TCS switch for a few seconds. The TCS light should come on signaling that the system has been disabled.
​​​​​​Is the "brake" symbol the one many refer to as VSA/TCS? Looks kinda like this (O) cause that is the light I'm referring to that is constantly on.

What can trigger that light apart from low brake fluid level (checked that and it is ok)?

Thanks for spreading a new light over this mystery, will get back to you as soon as I've done a bit more detective work on the car.

​​
Old 07-31-2024, 07:47 AM
Black Ac' Man

No it isn't. It is a separate amber light with TCS written in the middle. I'm not sure though, so take a pic of the dash. Maybe see if the cap is ok? The cap functions as the level sensor in this car.
Old 07-31-2024, 01:32 PM
4th Gear

No it isn't. It is a separate amber light with TCS written in the middle. I'm not sure though, so take a pic of the dash. Maybe see if the cap is ok? The cap functions as the level sensor in this car.

Ok, so I dismantled the interior panels and did not find the OBD2 outlet anywhere, neither in the foot wells or behind the "triangle panels" on each side of the stereo, and now I am really wondering if the EU spec Honda Legend came with OBD2 at all.

First picture shows how the dash panel looks, note that today when taking it for a test drive I refuelled and did a few stops, not once did it go in limp mode. Weird?!

More info that I stumbled upon: previous owner started seeing the limp mode issue shortly after the yearly inspection (they do brake tests on a dyno looking thing, lift it and wiggle the suspension etc to find loose joints, bad brake lines etc, and an emission test) so could any of that affect this or was it just a coincidence?

TCS button held in does not light up any lights, nothing happens when I press/hold it, either when stationary or engine running.