02 RL compressor repair - 2nd opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006 | 05:50 PM
6th Gear

02 RL compressor repair - 2nd opinion?

My RL w/ 68K miles has been in the shop for a groaning noise that changes pitch as the engine RPMs go up or down.

Initially the service guys incorrectly replaced the blower fan for $400. After putting the fan back and refunding my money, they now believe it's the compressor which is estimated at $1100 (parts & labor).

I've think been able to confirm their diagnosis becuase when I manually turn the A/C off or turn the heat to FULL, the noise goes away completely.

1. Is there any chance this diagnosis is incorrect?
2. Is there any way a owner could do this repair? (assume skillset of 5 on a L-H scale from 1-10).
3. Does this estimate seem reasonable? I found a part listed for $500-650 at (http://www.acuraparts247.com)

Thanks!!
Old 12-26-2006 | 10:00 PM
has been here awhile

If I were you, I would get a second opinion from another dealer in your area. Give no background information, save for the symptoms (don't tell them that you're getting a second opinion...see what they have to say without knowing what has been diagnosed). However, chances are pretty good that the dealer knows what they're talking about. Believe it or not, dealers aren't trying to rip people off...that's a pretty big risk. However, if you do decide to get it done at the dealer you received the original estimate at, see what they'll do for you if the service done does not fix the problem.

I know that probably does not help a lot, but look at it this way too: how long have you owned the vehicle? If you've owned it since it was new, chances are pretty good that you've had very few problems with it (if any at all). We have a 2000 RL w/Navi that we've had since new. The vehicle has been trouble free, and just recently we've had to start replacing things that are just aging. It's not really a matter of if the items have to be replaced, but rather, when. You can't sell the car with the problems, because you'll take a beating in the selling price. Your only real option is to fix the thing and just stomach the cost. And you might as well get it done at the dealer. They'll take good care of you and hopefully provide a loaner car while the work is done.

Another thing to consider is that you purchased a luxury automobile. With all due respect, labor and parts are more expensive on these vehicles than average vehicles...this should be expected and anticipated upon purchase. It still does come as a surprise when the vehicle has been so trouble free, but it is the reality nonetheless. Sorry
Old 12-27-2006 | 11:35 AM
6th Gear

Thanks for your post SPUDMTN! I think taking it to another dealer is a good suggestion.

A few points here:

The repair facillity I'm using is my local Acura dealer. Any electrical issues will always go there first. However they incorrectly replaced the blower fan after failing to diagnose the root cause. This experience has resulted in a loss of confidence. I trust them, I'm just not sure they know much about this problem.

I bought this particular vehicle used but I've not had ANY issues with it for several years. I also own a '05 MDX which has been FLAWLESS.

It's not the money. It's paying premium prices for sub-premium service that hurts. The reason I buy premium cars and pay premium service is to avoid a loss of use. A second trip back to the dealer in two weeks should cause anyone to reevaluate their assumptions.

The terrific reliability of Acura, the dealers confusion and the lack of postings about this issue is why I'm posting for advice.

Thanks!!
Old 12-30-2006 | 10:30 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

saunders01,

Since the noise stops when you turn the A/C off, it might just be the A/C compressor's clutch. They can be a bitch to replace.