Shimmy Shimmy Ya

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 01:43 PM
They walk among us...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shimmy Shimmy Ya

Hello

I have a 07 with Bridgestone Dueler Alenza tires. The tires were new when I purchased the car in '13. I have noticed when I drive over open grate bridges, my rear likes to sway/shimmy when I drive over them and in other instances on dry road. I have had my sway bars replaced between the purchase of the car and now (not just for this issue, there was a need for them to be replaced). When I rotated my tires before, the swaying was reduced a bit but still there.

When I had my car a '00 accord coupe (or in any car) this never happened at all, the car never moved. I just got my tires rotated again, the shimmy is back, giving me agita when I drive over this bridge and I feel it if I hit a pothole sometimes.

My question is could it be the tires since my dealer doesn't see anything wrong with anything else? It is very scary going across this one bridge because I just feel like I am sliding all over the place in the rear even if technically am not. I try to go over as slow as I can to lessen the shimmying. A friend told me my truck is too light and I need to put some weight in it (she carries 2 cases of water in her SUV). I just said um ok (she drives a Volvo SUV).

I am not opposed to new tires (just not Michelins~ better tires out there for less money) but I cannot figure out why my ride likes to do the Electric Slide when I don't need her to. I am in PA and drive less than 3 miles to work since I take PT most days and don't really drive in the snow since folks out here thinks 4"+ snow = drive like a fiend in D4 and slide. They take forever to clear some streets so I don't drive in it when I don't have to. My volunteer activities is what makes me drive further which is when things get fun.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas out there? Are new tires needed? Something else? I do think it is time for me to get new tires as the last time if I remember correctly the tread depth was 5/32 on the tires. I keep reading this forum for tire suggestions and I go on tirerack for reviews. I have looked at the Continental Pure Contacts and some other tires. What I got for my old car, can't work here so I am open to suggestions.

Thanks
Old 05-19-2016, 01:46 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
when was the last time you had an alignment?

shimmying is a key symptom of an out of whack alignment!
Old 05-19-2016, 01:58 PM
They walk among us...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's been a minute since I had an alignment. thanks for the suggestion.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:06 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^you are most welcome!

if you do get one, ask for the alignment print out that shows your before and after!
The following users liked this post:
Carbon Pearl (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 02:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Damn a minute... That's like a lot of seconds ..