New Tires - Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 09:05 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Tires - Advice

I hate to start another tire thread but I didn't want to hijack anyone else's. I'm looking to get new tires for my wife's RDX and I'm thinking about either the new General GMAX AS-03 or the Yokohama Parada Spec-X. Does anyone have any opinions on either one of those? The GMAX are really new so I haven't been able to find very many reviews for them yet but the ones I have found are very positive. The Parada have gotten good reviews as well from what I've been able to find. If you think a different tire would be better, please advise. We live in the NE so we need all season that will fare well in all conditions. I see the Conti DWS recommended quite a bit but I've also seen reviews saying that the sidewalls are soft. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by MassAcura5
I hate to start another tire thread but I didn't want to hijack anyone else's. I'm looking to get new tires for my wife's RDX and I'm thinking about either the new General GMAX AS-03 or the Yokohama Parada Spec-X. Does anyone have any opinions on either one of those? The GMAX are really new so I haven't been able to find very many reviews for them yet but the ones I have found are very positive. The Parada have gotten good reviews as well from what I've been able to find. If you think a different tire would be better, please advise. We live in the NE so we need all season that will fare well in all conditions. I see the Conti DWS recommended quite a bit but I've also seen reviews saying that the sidewalls are soft. Thanks in advance for any help.
Th e GMAX will be a little more precise handling than the Spec- X. Conversely the ride quality from the Spec-X is a little better. The DWS does have a bit softer sidewall (which helps its ride quality but hurts steering precision), but is very good in the wet and great in the snow for an all season.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Living where you do, I would highly recommend getting dedicated tires. I went that route last year and can't believe how much of a difference dedicated tires make! I don't think I will EVER run with an All Season Tire ever again. Even with the little amounts of snow we get here in Vancouver.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:51 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had the GMAX now for 1500 miles and am very pleased. Looking forward to seeing how they perform this winter. I do not believe there is anything out there that can compare for this combination of price/performance.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Yep, gungho_15 is right. Dedicated snow tires are the best choice for anyone living north of the 45th parallel. I like the Yokohama Avid ENVigors that I'm running on 19" rims. The Parada's are very popular here in the NW, but I here great things about the DWS as well. If I had it to do over again I would buy the Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 because it's a Low Roll Resist like the OEM that came on the ride and I'm going to trade the RDX off on something new soon.

Any all season tire is a compromise between cutting through the muck from Mother Nature and getting home safe from the grocery store. If you want to have the best of both worlds get a set of new 19" wheels with Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position's AND put Blizzacks on your old wheels.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I just got the General GMAX for my M37s. I was looking at DWS got a good price on them, but they were backordered forever as usual so I went with choice #2 the GMAX. Only had them a few days, replaced Potenza RE050 which were down to 3-4/32 at 17K miles and loosing their wet grip fast. The GMAX is a softer sidewall so it was nice not to feel every crack in the pavement that the Potenza's felt. The Potenzas are a bit cripser in the steering response, but not by much. I have not pushed the GMAX yset until I get a few hundred miles on them. They were not as quiet as I expected, but quietier than the Potenzas. I can't wait to see how these perform in the rain with that awesome tread pattern!
Old 10-03-2011, 08:07 AM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by MassAcura5
I'm looking to get new tires for my wife's RDX and I'm thinking about either the new General GMAX AS-03 or the Yokohama Parada Spec-X....I see the Conti DWS recommended quite a bit but I've also seen reviews saying that the sidewalls are soft.
Keep in mind that both the GMAX and Spec-X are directional tires. It is very hard to maintain even tire wear over the service life of directional tires unless you dismount, remount and rebalance, so you can move them to the other side of the car. Good alignment obviously helps, but uneven wear still occurs.

Non-directional tires such as the DWS, can be rotated across the car for even wear. The DWS soft sidewall does reduce steering feel over a stiff tire.

Every tire is a compromise to obtain certain characteristics.

Last edited by XLR8R; 10-03-2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:55 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am also in the market for new tires for my RDX and have been reading through all the posts and responses. This is all so overwhelming. Every store I go to tells me something different as well. I have been looking at Goodyear Assurance ComforTred, TripleTred and Fuel Max, the Conti DWS, because of all the great press here, and today the Bridgestone Dueler Alenzo was recommended. I live in Pittsburgh, so snow and bad weather is an issue and I have never switched out to snow tires in the past. I am leaning to the ComforTred, but would like any additional opinions. The OE Michelin tires on the 2010 RDX lasted me only 20,000 and the snow traction in year 2 was not good at all. I appreciate anyone's input.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Goodyear Assurance cs FuelMax. I have had 5 sets of tires on this car. These have the best wet and snow traction and have lasted far longer than any other. Over 25k now with 4/32s. All others lasted less than 20k
The following users liked this post:
wdpittsburgh (10-05-2011)
Old 10-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
5 sets?^^ How many miles have you put on that thing 100k?