New Continental TrueContact with Eco

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 08:54 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Continental TrueContact with Eco

Just got 4 "new" tires from the dealer installed on my 2011 RDX w SH-AWD.
Upon closer inspection the tires were manufactured in February 2014 (2 yrs old sitting in their warehouse hopefully in a climate controlled environment) and they installed Continental TrueContact with Eco "235/55R18 100T". I went to Continental's web site and see the T is not compatible with the RDX and Continental says they should use "235/55R18 100V".

I don't like complaining but I also don't want to be stuck with 4 tires especially if they're not the correct ones for the RDX. I'm not sure how much of a difference the "T" is vs the "V". I know they're speed ratings. I believe the T allows for maximum of 110 mph whereas the V allows for 130 mph. Sure I may not do that speed often but I have done 100/110 mph on my car for long drives on straight roads.

Are these 2 things I should go back to the auto shop and mention?
Old 01-31-2016, 08:58 AM
6th Gear

...in addition... PSI question

Also with the stock Michelin tires the recommended psi I believe were 30. These Continental tires has a max rating of 44psi. The auto shop inflated them to 37 psi. (I'm in NJ where it's cold outside with snow on the ground still.) Should I follow the RDX specifications on the door sticker?
Old 01-31-2016, 10:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
Regarding "T" vs "V", I'd prefer to use the same speed rating, or better, as OEM. A higher speed rating also means better handling at legal speeds. But you pay for it too.

As for tire pressure, it does sound a bit high. Perhaps the mechanic noticed you purchased the "Eco" option, meaning mpg must be important to you, so he went high.

Tires have load ratings; the higher the rating, the higher the pressure it can take. I think your new Contis are "SL" or standard load. Look for "LL" for light load, and "XL" for extra load.

Note that over-inflating will make your tires like basketballs and put a strain on your suspension as the tires bounce on the pavement. But being winter, you also lose 1 psi for every drop of 10F.

When I experiment, I stay +/- 10% within the sticker in the door jamb. After driving for awhile, I make adjustments to suit my preference.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:42 AM
6th Gear

These Contis have no letter in front of the wheel width numbers. Looked them up and if there's no letter in front, it's supposed to be the Euro-metric system vs the P-Metric and are supposedly equivalent to the "P" or Passenger ones - same as having the stock "P"235/R18 Michelin ones.

The auto shop never asked for my opinion. I just asked for the Continental TrueContact Eco that's compatible with my RDX.

So I've driven it off the lot. They're closed Sunday. I surely can't make it back during the week but I'll call them on Monday. Do I have a strong case for them to switch the tires to the 100V especially since Continental's web site says the 100T is not compatible?
Old 01-31-2016, 10:43 AM
6th Gear

And should I make a fuss about the tires being 2 yrs old but new?
Old 01-31-2016, 11:13 AM
6th Gear

You're right WheelMcCoy. I went outside to look at the tires again. It says "Standard" on the wheel.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:46 PM
7th Gear

I was looking for the Conti TrueContact or ExtremeContact DWS06 as a replacement for the OEM Michelin Pilot on my '08 RDX but according to the Continental web site and using their Tire Finder apps, these two tires are NOT recommended for the RDX even though they come with the right size : 235/55/18.
Accordingly, when you check with Tire Rack, the Conti ExtremeContact DWS06 is highly recommended and when you go to different forums, a lot of RDX owners have these Contis installed.
What gives...