DWS on Nat' wide back orded equal parada spec x

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
DWS on Nat' wide back orded equal parada spec x

I couldn’t wait for the DWS as the stock tires are becoming slick. I can’t believe how these Michelin wear out so quickly and to make matter worse I got flat on the stock. It looks like some sort of metal stake or rod. I don’t know how I didn’t see it??

Old 12-09-2011, 07:57 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm confused by your post; your subject header seems to indicate that you had some sort of info about the DWS, but then your message body just talks about you getting a flat.
So, are the DWS's out of stock? B/C that's the exact tire debate I'm having right now, the DWS vs the Parada's.
Not trying to jack this thread; I've read some good things about the DWS's, how about the Yoko's?
Old 12-09-2011, 02:25 PM
Racer

Sorry for the confusion.

I was in the market for the DWS but they're on national wide back order. I wanted to wait for them but I got a flat the other day so I had to pull the trigger on the Yoko. I can't really comment on them just yet with less than 20 miles but it does feel smoother than the stock. The steering also feels softer too.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:43 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too was going with DWS, but can't wait. Ordered General - G-MAX AS-03 , they seem to have gotten some good reviews--we'll see.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Racer

Let me know how those G-Max are. I did a quick search and there's no review on tirerack on them. They look more like summer tires instead of all-season by the trend pattern.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:47 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by DateTSX
Let me know how those G-Max are. I did a quick search and there's no review on tirerack on them. They look more like summer tires instead of all-season by the trend pattern.
Will do, bummed the DWS weren't available. A few reviews:

http://www.tirebuyer.com/tirebuyerwi...tedItem/803767
Old 12-13-2011, 09:33 AM
Instructor

@DateTSX, thanks for clearing up.

@DateTSX & Senorjhawk; can you guys post updates/impressions on your respective tire choices when you get some more drive-time on them? I really like the looks of those Parada's but since the G-MAX's are cheaper, interested in how those perform as well.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:17 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just FYI you can get the DWS in 245/45/19 which is a great excuse to upgrade your wheels to 19"
Old 12-13-2011, 02:49 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by x2lacrosse

@DateTSX & Senorjhawk; can you guys post updates/impressions on your respective tire choices when you get some more drive-time on them? I really like the looks of those Parada's but since the G-MAX's are cheaper, interested in how those perform as well.
Will do. A pre-review on TireBuyer.com though. I ordered on the web Sunday (2 days ago) and my local tire shop said they arrived today. Free shipping too.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Since the DWS in 235/55/18 won't be available until...what was it...early February (can anyone confirm that)? I am now leaning toward the Parada Spec-X. If you look at the survey results between the two on tire rack they are virtually identical in performance; the DWS does a little better in snow while the Yokohama does better in cornering. I'm down to 5/32 @ 40k with the OEMs and I'd like new tires before the nor' easters start rolling thru.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Racer

@DateTSX & Senorjhawk; can you guys post updates/impressions on your respective tire choices when you get some more drive-time on them? I really like the looks of those Parada's but since the G-MAX's are cheaper, interested in how those perform as well.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if I can give you much feedback just yet. One thing for sure, it beats driving with the spare tire for three days! The only thing I can tell that is no longer there is that this tire doesn't squeak when you turn the wheel. I always had a problem with that in the parking garage. The security guys will flag me down thinking that I'm peeling out. Ill try to do more "sprited" driving this weekend when I'm out looking for parking spot at the local mall.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by stray_pube
Since the DWS in 235/55/18 won't be available until...what was it...early February (can anyone confirm that)? I am now leaning toward the Parada Spec-X. If you look at the survey results between the two on tire rack they are virtually identical in performance; the DWS does a little better in snow while the Yokohama does better in cornering. I'm down to 5/32 @ 40k with the OEMs and I'd like new tires before the nor' easters start rolling thru.
I contacted Sears,NTB,tire fair, tire rack, Sullivan tire and all have either confirm they're unavilable until Feb or unknown date. I got my SpecX at a local Honda dealer for $900. That's including everything.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:24 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just FYI, for UHP tires Consumer Reports lists these at the top Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season, Cooper Zeon RS3-A, and Sumitomo HTR A/S. Those tires scored 82 all around. Next there is a group that scored 80 overall that includes Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, Yokaham Avid Envigor, and Continental DWS.

Just throwing out some tires to consider, hope this helps!
Old 12-14-2011, 07:24 PM
Racer

Hey guys, just wanting to show some pic of the tires. Sorry for the big image, I'm doing this through my phone. A quick update, these Yoko are more softer than the stock. If any of have to drive over cobblestone everyday, you'll know I mean.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ChrisnTammy
Just FYI, for UHP tires Consumer Reports lists these at the top ....... and Sumitomo HTR A/S. Those tires scored 82 all around.
I just had the Sumitomo's installed on my DC5S (OEM size) and I will say that I don't really like them so far. I had Falken 512's on before them (also OEM size) and I really liked those. The Sumi's instantly made the steering way too light, like there's way too much electric assistance going on. With the OEM and Falken's, the steering was heavy and I felt much more confident when throwing the car around. With the Sumi's, turn in isn't as responsive and I don't feel the car and road like I used to. Now, they might react differently on the RDX, but I'm not too fond of them on my DC5 so far. Maybe once I get used to them, I'll test their limits and gain more confidence in them.

DateTSX & Senorjhawk, any updates on your respective tires?
Old 12-21-2011, 03:02 PM
Bruin

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisnTammy
Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season
I had the P Zero Nero a/s on my 2004 STi back in 2005, and if the current model is anything like the previous ones I had, they tramlined significantly on the highway.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Racer

DateTSX & Senorjhawk, any updates on your respective tires?
Soft and comfortable. That should pretty much sum up the Parada Spec-X. These Yoko's are a step up in terms of ride quality and smoothness. I didn't mind the firmer feel on the stock but I can tell these Yoko’s absorb the bumps and even pot holes better than the stock. I hate to say it but I hope it snow so I can really have some fun with them.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DateTSX
Soft and comfortable. That should pretty much sum up the Parada Spec-X. These Yoko's are a step up in terms of ride quality and smoothness. I didn't mind the firmer feel on the stock but I can tell these Yoko’s absorb the bumps and even pot holes better than the stock. I hate to say it but I hope it snow so I can really have some fun with them.

Agree 100%. Huge increase in ride quality compared to the OEMs.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:28 AM
Instructor

Does 'soft and comfortable' translate into less responsive and/or doesn't handle as well?
Old 12-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Racer

Does 'soft and comfortable' translate into less responsive and/or doesn't handle as well?
I havn't done any spirited driving so I’m not sure how it handles in turns. In my case, soft and comfortable, meant it's not as bumpy or uncomfortable as you go over cracks or unpaved roads.
The following users liked this post:
x2lacrosse (12-31-2011)
Old 12-23-2011, 12:50 PM
7th Gear

Have had the G-Max's on for week or two, but just a couple of hundred miles. Mostly dry, some wet, no snow. I will be driving around 600 miles in next few days, maybe in different weather and will report more.

Pleased so far. I had nitrogen put in, they are about 36 PSI. Kinda hard for me to rate at this stage--of course they are smoother, quieter and grip much better than the 44K OEMs they replaced. And, I know it's a dumb way to judge a tire, but the tread pattern is really aggressive/good looking.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Senorjhawk
Have had the G-Max's on for week or two, but just a couple of hundred miles. Mostly dry, some wet, no snow. I will be driving around 600 miles in next few days, maybe in different weather and will report more.

Pleased so far. I had nitrogen put in, they are about 36 PSI. Kinda hard for me to rate at this stage--of course they are smoother, quieter and grip much better than the 44K OEMs they replaced. And, I know it's a dumb way to judge a tire, but the tread pattern is really aggressive/good looking.
Did u get that mileage in? What do u think now?
While performance and safety are the most important facts, I do agree that tread pattern is important.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:03 PM
7th Gear

Did u get that mileage in? What do u think now?
While performance and safety are the most important facts, I do agree that tread pattern is important.
I got the mileage in. Much quieter/smoother than OEMs. Hard to make them lose grip/squeal. Were good in the rain, but have had no opportunity to drive them in snow. So far, very pleased.
The following users liked this post:
x2lacrosse (12-31-2011)
Old 12-31-2011, 04:26 PM
Instructor

@DateTSX & Senorjhawk, really appreciate the feedback you've given me. Good luck w/ everything and have a great new year.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:25 AM
Instructor

Just got the Parada's installed (OEM size). Noticed that the max PSI is 51 (vs 44 for the OEM's), so should I still inflate to the recommended pressure or should I do a ratio of the recommended to the old max and re-apply to the new tires?

OR

@DateTSX and other Parada owners, what have you found to be the best pressures to run at? While I don't track this car, I do like to push it on the occassional back road. For the most part, this car is used for weekend trips ie mostly highway driving w/ the occassional up/down/twisty road.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Just got the Parada's installed (OEM size). Noticed that the max PSI is 51 (vs 44 for the OEM's), so should I still inflate to the recommended pressure or should I do a ratio of the recommended to the old max and re-apply to the new tires?

OR

@DateTSX and other Parada owners, what have you found to be the best pressures to run at? While I don't track this car, I do like to push it on the occassional back road. For the most part, this car is used for weekend trips ie mostly highway driving w/ the occassional up/down/twisty road.
You will still want to follow the specs on your door placard for daily driving.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:11 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,201 Posts

OR

I have the Conti DWS tires and I follow the 32PSI recommendation on the sticker in the driver side door. The higher you go above the recommended 32PSI (like +38 PSI) will provide you with a stiffer ride, less traction and it may produce uneven tire wear starting in the center of the tire tread.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:49 AM
Instructor

Took a little trip this past weekend; 100'ish miles with mostly H/W and some back roads. I have mine at 34 PSI all around.

Good:
-Yes, they're a little quieter than the stocks, but they're also new so we'll see what they sound like at 30K. But, the car is still far from quiet.
-They're a little softer, thus help absorb things like overpass joints better.

Bad:
-Don't know if it's the alignment or a combo of that and tires, but the slightest movement of the steering wheel makes the car move. This is completely diff from the stocks and pretty unsettling at highway speeds.
-While they're not horrible, I don't feel they handle as well as the stocks did. For example; on a long sweeper, had to turn the wheel much more and had to make a few adjustments while in the sweeper. I think this goes hand in hand w/ my first "Bad" statement.
-While the tread pattern looked pretty cool on Tire Rack, they don't look nearly as awesome in person. In fact, I think they're a bit homely looking.

Obviously, this is a VERY initial impression and rain/snow will determine my final verdict on these, but so far, I'm not all that happy/impressed w/ them. Guess only the long-term and some bad weather will change my opinion.

Thanks all for giving me feedback towards my tire purchase.