Continental DWS Tires, FTMFW!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 11:57 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am leaning more towards the Yoki's for my RDX, I have run them on other cars and they were awesome. Have them on a Outback and they are awesome..
Old 11-11-2010, 01:04 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I purchased the Conti. DWS about 900 miles ago. I am happy with the tire over all. The sidewalls are not as stiff so the initial turn in is not as crisp as OEM Michelins. But bumping pressure to 34,35psi helps. They stick well driving through on ramps. A bit quieter than Michelins. Great in the rain!
For the cheaper price it is a sensible purchase, I don't miss the Michelins. But to be honest if the price of the Michelins were the same as the Conti. DWS I would have gone with OEM.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Wow, so the DWS are not a corner comfortable tire. Going back to Michelin's on the TL. Save your money and buy your mom a set for her Volvo.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:49 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Wow, so the DWS are not a corner comfortable tire. Going back to Michelin's on the TL. Save your money and buy your mom a set for her Volvo.
...and save your money for when the michelins slide you into a guardrail.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:03 PM
big shot.

also...i found that it took a few thousand miles for the DWS to settle in. I Currently run mine @ 33.5 a corner...the car handles beautifully. The bite on turn in is not as sharp as the stocks, but its pretty close, additionally, every single other function of the tire is better. Water is a non-issue. If you live in high rain or winter areas, i would never put the stock tires on the RDX. EVER.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:04 PM
RMR
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MMike1981
also...i found that it took a few thousand miles for the DWS to settle in. I Currently run mine @ 33.5 a corner...the car handles beautifully. The bite on turn in is not as sharp as the stocks, but its pretty close, additionally, every single other function of the tire is better. Water is a non-issue. If you live in high rain or winter areas, i would never put the stock tires on the RDX. EVER.
Those stock Michelins are horrendous. I just switched them out at 35k miles for the Conti Extremecontact DWS and have put 2500 miles on so far. In the wet they are amazing and on dry it's like my RDX is born again. These tires are fantastic. Snow is coming to Chicago later this week possibly and I can't wait to see how they do.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:19 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How's the tread wear on the DWS? I'm at ~16k miles and the dealer says that I need new tires already. WTF?!
Old 11-22-2010, 01:28 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow 16k and you need new tires already???? What you doing with that car boy? :-)

Curious about the treadwear as well as I'll need new tires this winter. I'm at 30,000.

Are you planning on replacing just 2 or replacing all 4 wheels?
Old 11-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by chipmunk
How's the tread wear on the DWS? I'm at ~16k miles and the dealer says that I need new tires already. WTF?!
Assuming you are at 16k with the OEM Michelin's right? I, too, am curious what others are getting on the DWS as I just upgraded from OEMs to these.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Instructor

I don't really do much with it. I've owned mine since '08, so 16k miles in 2 years isn't even a whole lot of driving. It is maybe 75% city driving though so that may be it?
Old 11-24-2010, 10:49 AM
haole kama'a-ina

Received 123 Likes on 72 Posts
About 3500 miles on the DWS now.

Softer, more tolerable ride for sensitive mother-in-law passengers. More sidewall flex, slower turn-in, but very good grip both wet and dry.

Also just received the free GPS from the Continental Tires offer in August. It's a Tom Tom Ease. Nice basic little unit. Very lightweight and easy to put in a pocket. I t has text to speech and 3 hours of battery life. A genuine $100 value.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:42 AM
Suzuka Master

The beauty of situation is that when the weather is bad I get the day off. I give the RDX with the studded snow tires to the wife and I stay home, get drunk, and watch Maury Povich.

Shut the fuck up. You don't know me. It's my car and I do what I want!

Old 11-24-2010, 02:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mmike1981
^mm Did you hear about the crippling snow storm in the Seattle area? Here is a first hand account with the tire I'm putting on the TL on Monday>
Originally Posted by docboy
okay, i made it home in literally white out blizzard like conditions. My impressions of the tl-awd w/19" hpt all seasons (michelins pilot sport a/s plus).

note: My commute is typically on the semi/rural back roads and they are usually not plowed or salted

-on a straight line snow/ice covered roads, rock steady. I can feel the sh-awd system shifting torque front/rear and left/right. Never once did i loose traction.

-even more impressive, on snow/iced hills, the tl just kept on going. Certain parts of the roads were rather scary, esp when crossing over iced bridges. But the tl felt very confident and stable.

-i have a very steeply inclined driveway. When i had my 1g tsx, i was never able to make up my driveway (or at least very easily); i would usually have to park it on the street and wait for the snow/ice to melt.

The tl negotiated the driveway w/ease. Again, i can feel the sh-awd shifting torque to the rear wheels. Very nice...

-on a off beat note, on one occasion, the abs kicked in as i came to a red light stop on steep decline on a snow/iced road. The tl stopped promptly; so i can vouch the abs works fine.

-the only time i lost traction was when i made a 90 degree right turn into my neighborhood at 35mph (pm unplowed snow/ice) i saw the vsa light blink a few times as the tl slid/fish tailed for a 2-3 seconds. As soon as i gave a little gas, the tl straightened out. Okay i admit it, i was trying to mimic the tl on the tov video of the minnesota winter testing grounds

I'm not sure why the tl fish tailed out, but i suspect that it was due to a large ice patch i hit that i would have slipped no matter what awd system/tires i had, and probably due to my craziness as well. Dunno...

Overall, the tl did very nicely in the snow/ice. The manual 6spd transmission was a big plus, as i felt i had more control of the car with engine braking, shifting quickly into 2nd gear for better traction, etc. (which may sound counter intiutive b/c one would think manual transmission = one too many things to do when driving in wintry conditions).

I test drove a 2007 mdx before in wintry conditions and hills; the tl has that same stable and planted feeling.

Last edited by Mr Marco; 11-24-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:15 PM
big shot.

Originally Posted by 737 Jock
About 3500 miles on the DWS now.

Softer, more tolerable ride for sensitive mother-in-law passengers. More sidewall flex, slower turn-in, but very good grip both wet and dry.

Also just received the free GPS from the Continental Tires offer in August. It's a Tom Tom Ease. Nice basic little unit. Very lightweight and easy to put in a pocket. I t has text to speech and 3 hours of battery life. A genuine $100 value.
i noticed that around 5-6k miles on the DWS, they tighten up and feel much better. dont feel nearly as soft or tippy on turn in.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:16 PM
big shot.

Originally Posted by RMR
Those stock Michelins are horrendous. I just switched them out at 35k miles for the Conti Extremecontact DWS and have put 2500 miles on so far. In the wet they are amazing and on dry it's like my RDX is born again. These tires are fantastic. Snow is coming to Chicago later this week possibly and I can't wait to see how they do.
good decision for Chicago especially
Old 11-24-2010, 04:28 PM
Copy cat shinobi

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Man I miss driving the Lude in the snow using non snow tires...aaaah. I'd pass people in 5" of snow on the highway doing 70. Only problem I had was the batmobile grappling hook was not installed and slid thru a stop light that was red and onto a entry ramp for the hi-way at or around 50mph.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:02 PM
Suzuka Master

i noticed that around 5-6k miles on the DWS, they tighten up and feel much better. dont feel nearly as soft or tippy on turn in.
This is true with every A/S tire.
good decision for Chicago especially
A good decision for Chicago would be a dedicated snow tire. I lived there for 5 years from 1974-1979. My father had two sets of tires for both cars.

Last edited by Mr Marco; 11-24-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Kaze66218
Man I miss driving the Lude in the snow using non snow tires...aaaah. I'd pass people in 5" of snow on the highway doing 70. Only problem I had was the batmobile grappling hook was not installed and slid thru a stop light that was red and onto a entry ramp for the hi-way at or around 50mph.
I always wanted to own a Prelude, but for one reason or another I could never find a nice pre-owned model or I was broke. Yep, for a sports car the stock ground clearance was a high 5.5 inches. The underside was a smooth sail for wind too. Honda had recognized the importance of underbody air flow long before anyone noticed.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Instructor

Does anyone know how many miles before the S fades away?
Old 11-30-2010, 02:17 PM
6th Gear

Stock Mich Pilot suck. This tire has a history of poor wear, earliy dry rotting, and other problems. We have had so many customers come back with compaints on these. The minute I got my RDX, I popped on some Hankook Ventus AS RH07. Solid tread life-65K, and a smooth quite ride. Conti DWS are solid tires as well.

Josh
Old 11-30-2010, 10:10 PM
RMR
10th Gear

This is true with every A/S tire.

A good decision for Chicago would be a dedicated snow tire. I lived there for 5 years from 1974-1979. My father had two sets of tires for both cars.
I've lived in Chicago since 1974 and only dedicated snows for the past 10 years on my RWD cars. The RDX will be fine with the DWS.

Hell, I used to drive a 1990 Mustang for 10 years in Chicago's worst winters on shitty tires. Plus today is a world away from what it used to be when we get a snow. It's only bad for the first few hours until the fleet of 250 trucks hit the roads and clear them. In the old days the fleet was tiny and they had a hell of a time clearing the roads fast.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Suzuka Master

^So I take it you have not driven in the snow with your DWS yet. Seeing that you are from Chicago, you would know that the average temps in December, January, and February are below 40degrees Fahrenheit. The plasticity range of tires varies by manufacture. Some tires have a higher/lower rate than others due to their composition and content. All season tires generally have a “lowest operating temperature” of 5degrees and provide sharply curved downward ineffective grip range at temperatures of 45degrees and below. Winter tires have a “LOT” of -40degrees and a general operating range of 55-25degrees (This is the reason winter tires grip so well in the snow, but wear extremely fast in temps above 65degrees). Due to the composition of all season tires like the DWS, they are intended for use in light snow only. If you live above the 45th parallel, I highly recommend a dedicated winter tire for the upcoming season.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Old 12-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ltngbg99
Now at 17500. W and S from the DWS are gone. Also known as 4/32. Frequent rotation/alignment as usual. This car eats tires. Almost time for my 5th set of tires at 80k on the odometer. Tire warranties have helped ease the impact. This set will be worn out before 25k = 50% treadware warranty.
and this^
Old 12-02-2010, 11:42 AM
RMR
10th Gear

^So I take it you have not driven in the snow with your DWS yet. Seeing that you are from Chicago, you would know that the average temps in December, January, and February are below 40degrees Fahrenheit. The plasticity range of tires varies by manufacture. Some tires have a higher/lower rate than others due to their composition and content. All season tires generally have a “lowest operating temperature” of 5degrees and provide sharply curved downward ineffective grip range at temperatures of 45degrees and below. Winter tires have a “LOT” of -40degrees and a general operating range of 55-25degrees (This is the reason winter tires grip so well in the snow, but wear extremely fast in temps above 65degrees). Due to the composition of all season tires like the DWS, they are intended for use in light snow only. If you live above the 45th parallel, I highly recommend a dedicated winter tire for the upcoming season.
I should elaborate:

The RDX is my wife's car and is not driven everyday as she takes the train downtown. Therefore, in the very short amount of time here when there is deep snow in Chicago (prior to the massive fleet of snow plows getting out and doing their jobs), the DWS tires on the RDX will be fine. My wife is not out there taking it racing around corners and plowing through deep snow. She's driving it around after the plows have moved through. Our BMW has a set of Blizzack LM-25s for it's winter use (which is very minimal) and the daily driver I use for work is a 2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 4WD. On the Honda I have a set of Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snows. Best snow tire I've ever owned. Pretty much unstoppable in heavy deep snow. I know this because my line of work takes me deep into rural areas for power plant projects where little rural roads are rarely plowed.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Suzuka Master

^ Oh I get it now, Sorry. My wife is a Nurse Practitioner and has to go to work when they tell her no matter what the weather is. So we must have a tire that will get her there. I on the other hand, get the day off when it snows.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:53 AM
Instructor

and this^

Wow. That is horrible. I guess I'll scrap that idea and head towards the Yokohama direction.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:34 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Wow. That is horrible. I guess I'll scrap that idea and head towards the Yokohama direction.
I own Yokos in the Acura and DSWs in my other vehicle. There is no comparison and if I could do it all over again head for the DSWs for the Acura....I think that such experience is atypical
Old 12-04-2010, 12:10 PM
big shot.

Its all in what you feel confident with. I go with the rubber that gives me the best security. I HAMMMER my RDX. the DWS has taken it all. With any tire, there may be some horror stories. i have no idea what marco wrote, but all i can say is that, if buying all season, buy the tire most geared to your weather. Right now, nothing does all season better than DWS. There are def all seasons that are better on straight dry conditions, but rain/snow? wouldnt put anything else on my ride, and ive been thru Yoko, Dunlop, Mich, Bridgys (have not tried Pirelli yet). The wet traction and braking, and snow traction/braking in DWS is unsurpassed in all season format.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Just out curiosity, I took a look at the reviews on the TireRack for the DWS from lowest to highest rank. Out of 788 reviews 81 were negative. That is a little over 10%. This is not a scientific appraisal on my part, and I cannot speak for other warehouse tire stores like Americas/Discount. But I did note that the internet has several reviews which put the Michelin MXv4 Ahead of the DWS. Additionally there is this JD Power survey,

Michelin, Pirelli rank highest
In conducting the 2010 U.S. Original Equipment Tire Customer Satisfaction Study, J.D. Power and Associates asked owners to rate their tires based on the following characteristics: wearability, appearance, traction/handling, and ride. Results were then tabulated and categorized into four segments: luxury, passenger car, performance sport, and truck/utility.
According to the study, Michelin ranks highest in the luxury, passenger car, and truck/utility segments. In the passenger car and luxury segments, Michelin performs particularly well in the tire wearability factor, while in the truck/utility segment, the brand performs well in the tire ride factor.
In the performance sport segment, Pirelli ranks highest and performs particularly well in tire appearance and tire ride factors.

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/articles/2010-Original-Equipment-Tire-Satisfaction-Study/

I don’t know if this was just a coincidental experience, but when I picked up the studded snows on Wednesday there was a DWS right next to the desk in the lobby at America’s Tire. When I asked the CS rep what was wrong with it he simply said it was “defective”.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:49 AM
Instructor

I now have about 2,100 miles on the DWS Conti's. I like the tire for the price and quietness. And really have no complaints, buy a tire in which your budget allows (that is what I did).
But don't expect this tire to be as crisp as Michelin Pilots, they are not as quick on turn in. To me it does not matter, I have a Corvette for the Summer Bonsai runs
My RDX is the everyday driver, so overall I am satisfied with the DWS purchase. But if your a canyon carver and the RDX is your only tool, I probably would not recommend the DWS Conti's!!
Old 12-17-2010, 10:28 AM
haole kama'a-ina

Received 123 Likes on 72 Posts
This is not likely because the tire is wearing out, so much as because it may be wearing unevenly. If uneven wear causes only a section of tread to reach the wear bars, the tire won't pass inspection.

Several issues may cause one section of tread to reach the wear bars while the remainder of the tread is still good:

1. Under or over-inflation
2. Not rotating the tires regularly
3. Out of alignment
Old 12-17-2010, 10:58 AM
StayAtHomeDad

I started this thread to praise the Continental tires performance in the wet. I run dedicated snows in the vehicle that I have the DWSs but neglected to make the swap before the first snow storm to see how well they would perform in the white stuff.....all I have to say (again) is Holy Sht!!!! these tires are awesome. I don't think that there is need for snow tires if you are running the DWSs in your vehicle.
I even turned off the traction control and felt that the tire had enough grip to avoid spinning. I was passing vehicles that were on the plowed side of the road behind a 5 series who looked scared for his life, on the packed side.
I love these tires, they are what had been missing in my vehicles.....I don't even care about the "softness" in dry pavement, I would take the traction over cornering.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:58 PM
big shot.

repost (and concurrence):
I will not put another set of tires on my RDX other than the DWS: right now during this noreast blizzard, ive been pummeling the RDX around my neighborhood and on 45 mph road, simply put - the DWS are the best all season tire ive ever driven on under all conditions. The snow handling & braking capability of the DWS is so secure that you will giggle. Under normal driving through the neighborhood: stopping @ stop signs, accelerating from dead stop, thru corners & turns, no other all season has performed like the DWS ie no ABS/stability control. When i've hammered the car which no one should do during the winter, the stab/abs has kicked on but the DWS bite down so hard and feel so tacky in snow that it mitigates the usually expected 10-20 foot slide that should ensue, especially under the OEM. Confidence inspiring fantastical rubber. Ill take the demerit on dry handling any day with the wet/snow performance of the DWS. I feel like i have been riding on roller skates on previous rubber compared to these.

WOW. thank you.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:03 PM
StayAtHomeDad

I can't wait to purchase the DWSs for the RDX...
Old 12-26-2010, 06:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by wrestrepo
I started this thread to praise the Continental tires performance in the wet. I run dedicated snows in the vehicle that I have the DWSs but neglected to make the swap before the first snow storm to see how well they would perform in the white stuff.....all I have to say (again) is Holy Sht!!!! these tires are awesome. I don't think that there is need for snow tires if you are running the DWSs in your vehicle.
I even turned off the traction control and felt that the tire had enough grip to avoid spinning. I was passing vehicles that were on the plowed side of the road behind a 5 series who looked scared for his life, on the packed side.
I love these tires, they are what had been missing in my vehicles.....I don't even care about the "softness" in dry pavement, I would take the traction over cornering.
^
Originally Posted by wrestrepo
I can't wait to purchase the DWSs for the RDX...
???? Thought you already had them???
Old 12-27-2010, 07:31 AM
10th Gear

i also had the chance to test the dws in last night snow and overall i'm pleased since it got me to and back to the train station in one piece! Cornering was not an issue where i know from last winter the oem would have slid all over the place. Going downhill, i did have the ABS kick in and couldn't stop the rdx and went right through a red light, but i'm not sure nothing less of studded tires would have done the job.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:03 PM
big shot.

another day with blizzard snow, another amazing ride on the DWS. having some fun!
Old 12-28-2010, 03:25 PM
Instructor

Went through the blizzard with my RDX and Conti DWS. Both handled fine. But as the Conti DWS are full tread depth I would expect as much!
My Michelins were not exactly terrible until they wore out.
Just saying: Conti DWS damned good tire all around.
Michelin better tire dry, fairly good wet,and in snow (only with close to full tread) but too friggin' expensive!!
Old 12-30-2010, 03:29 PM
Cruisin'

Just ordered my Conti DWS after the blizzard in Boston. The OEM Mich sucks!! I have about 30K and the car was sliding all over the place and could barely stop with the ABS coming on all the time. I can't wait to put these on next week once I get them from tire rack. Thanks for all the feedback.

Quick Reply: Continental DWS Tires, FTMFW!!